Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Narrowed the choices to...

I'm shopping for a new pistol and have narrowed the choices to two (I think).

I tried the Ruger SR9C and didn't like it at all.
    I bought a Glock 23 3rd gen. I know, 40 cal... but it fit in my hand well and every time I picked it up the sights lined up. I have to search for the front sights on my Beretta 380 my dad gave me. I had a problem that if I shot more than 1 mag through it I would lose grip and it would slide around. Also I wanted to try and keep a caliber that my wife wouldn't be afraid of and she wouldn't even try the Glock.

Now after a few weeks of reading, watching videos, and shop browsing I'm looking at the FN FNS-9 or Sig P2022 So far I haven't found any that I can rent to see if I like either. We are hitting a couple ranges to see what they have tonight.

My question, does anyone have experience with either and/or recommendations? Also what has anyone found their customer service like? I've read a lot but I trust yunz on this site.

Thanks
    Snow

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Narrowed the choices to...

I have a FN FNS-9 and so far so good, I only have a few hundred round through the gun and I like everything about it. The gun seems to have very good reviews from what I have read on other forums.

If you like striker fired guns and don't want a Glock the FNS is a good choice.

(Montgomery County)

The fns9 has had some difficulty working when fired with a rail mounted light. A large police department in south carolina has recently adopted the fns9 as their duty gun and the majority of the officers pistols will not cycle when a light is mounted to the rail.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Cumberland County)

I own the Sig 2022. As long as you are ok with a large, chunkier gun, it is very nice. I have never had any issues with it at all. I know most SIG's say they have a break in longer than most, and with my 290 I have seen many ftf's with the first 50 rounds, but no issues with the 2022. I really like the de-cocker too. I carry it at times owb in a nice high and tight pancake and with shirt out, it is concealable.
    Good luck either way!
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Lackawanna County)

I have an FNS-40...admittedly not the FNS-9, but the ergonomics are the same.

It is an incredible firearm. However, it has an "aggressive grip". I don't mind it, but there are some who do.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post
    I have an FNS-40...admittedly not the FNS-9, but the ergonomics are the same.

It is an incredible firearm. However, it has an "aggressive grip". I don't mind it, but there are some who do.
    ^^^^^^^^^^Same as above.Sights line up very nicely.

Also a fan of the M&P nines.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Mercer County)

Whichever feels better in your hand, and handles most naturally. From a quality standpoint, the difference is negligible.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    The fns9 has had some difficulty working when fired with a rail mounted light. A large police department in south carolina has recently adopted the fns9 as their duty gun and the majority of the officers pistols will not cycle when a light is mounted to the rail.
    Next range trip I'm going to try it with a light attached, I'll report back. I may be hitting the range tomorrow weather permitting.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyBear View Post
    Also a fan of the M&P nines.
    Yep. Out of the two choices the OP mentioned, I'd go with a M&P9 with a few bucks left over for Apex goodies of your choosing....
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks all, We did get to A&S last night and much to my surprise they had an FNS and a 2022. The FNS was one of their rental guns and the 2022 was a used one so they let me rent it also. The FN had the better grips for me, the 2022 is really big. Both shot about the same but I did shoot the FN better, I'm thinking just because of the grips. I'll head back down today as they also had the M&P as a rental, I want to cover all bases before this purchase as I really want to keep this one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast