Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Kahr CM45/PM45 ???

As I've been investigating the possibility of a new 45ACP carry pistol, I was originally leaning towards an SA XDs, Colt New Agent or Kimber RCPII.

However, upon some research, I noticed this CM45 appears to be as compact, if not more so, than some of the others I was looking at and lighter as well.

Anyone have any thoughts and/or experience on either the CM45 or the PM45 (it's more expensive brother)?
    Last edited by SwampFoxZ71; March 28th, 2014 at 10:24 PM.
    I forgot how much I missed the slang from the 70's and 80's: "Bite me, dig?"

Default Re: Kahr CM45/PM45 ???

It's a nice pistol. I'd say about the size of a glock 19 but thinner, recoil isn't bad either. The XDs is definitely the smallest but I found it hard to shoot. I was consistently left at 5 yds with it. Compared to the other the cost of the cw45 is much less. I know the kimber is almost $1000 so even the more costly pm45 is only like $600. I like the grip and trigger if Kahr pistols so you may have to manhandle a few to see if you do.

(Juniata County)

This May or may not matter to you.

Kahr moved their R&D & HQ to Penna. & has plans transfer (or add) manufacturing here.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Westmoreland County)

Yes, I did know that Kahr was moving to PA, and is completely US made. It is in the back of my mind when looking to purchase but not the overriding factor.

Held a CW45 today and it felt pretty good. They had a Colt New Agent there and it felt good too. I know the CM/PM45 both have a slightly shorter grip but the CM9 felt good in my hand, so I'm assuming both of those would feel good as well.

I brought the pistols up from my side to see how they naturally pointed. Even w/o sights, the Colt still felt the best. I consistently brought the Kahrs up with the front sight pointed to the left. The Colt was about dead on.

The trigger on the Kahr was exceptionally smooth and broke very nicely. I really did like it. I will hold out on making a decision until I can actually handle a CM/PM45, hopefully with another 3" 1911 for comparison.

I will say that I had not considered the Kahrs before and to be honest, with the exception of liking the rail on the XDs to attach a light/laser, I think I may be leaning more towards the Kahr over the XDs. In all honesty, think my overall choice is still leaning more towards a SB 1911. They simply feel right in the hand.

If anyone else has thoughts/experience/comparison of models I'm looking at, the the input is appreciated. Thanks to those who already commented.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    It's a nice pistol. I'd say about the size of a glock 19 but thinner, recoil isn't bad either. The XDs is definitely the smallest but I found it hard to shoot. I was consistently left at 5 yds with it. Compared to the other the cost of the cw45 is much less. I know the kimber is almost $1000 so even the more costly pm45 is only like $600. I like the grip and trigger if Kahr pistols so you may have to manhandle a few to see if you do.
    I am a huge Springfield fan, I have to agree with Klutch on the XDs. I don't blame Springfield as much as the slim grip gun design. I have the same problems with the Keltec PF9 or Kahr PM9. The grips are so narrow that follow up shots are more difficult. Between the PF9, PM9, and XDs, I prefer the PM9 with a crimson trace trigger guard. BUT, as long as it is not summer time, I'll take my XDm 3.8 compact in 45. It is larger, but the grip is wider (normal size) and it is still short enough that it does not print easily. Also, I get to keep 10+1 45ACP with 13 extra in mag#2.

In the end, it just comes down to how you shoot with them as your hands are different, preferences are different, etc....

(Westmoreland County)

A&S has several CM45's available and some officer size 1911's to compare. I bought a CM45 and love it, but I have several Kahrs and like the brand.

(Westmoreland County)

I recently got a CW 45 and love it it's small enough to conceal but still big enough to not get lost in your hand and shoot well . I used to carry an old Star PD and thought that it's size was just right. That was until I got the Kahr it's slimmer and lighter and easier to shoot for me anyways . It's no target gun but accuracy is decent . Also with the Kahr a 1911 officers model mag can be made to work with only some minor tweaking And it will sit flush with the bottom of the grip unlike the factory mag with the base plate ,7+1 rds of 45 aint too bad for a gun that small and light .

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 340M&P View Post
    A&S has several CM45's available and some officer size 1911's to compare. I bought a CM45 and love it, but I have several Kahrs and like the brand.
    Thanks for the info. Next time I'm down in Youngwood I'll stop by to see what they have. Still haven't actually held a CM45, though.

Since that time I did purchase a SA XDs 45. Only had it to the range once so far and did okay with it. Swapped the back strap out to see if I like that better.

Actually purchased with gift card I received for winning a pistol at a bash. Best part was when I purchased, SA had a deal where I was able to also get 2 more 5 round mags plus the extended 7 rounder, along with a nice little case and an extra mag carrier. Free was good all the way around (okay, less my investment in winning it which was only $100 total).