Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: should I even apply for a carry permit?

Quote Originally Posted by Rblakely View Post
    OP - when looking for advice take a look at the length of time here, number of posts and rep when deciding how much credence to give. It's not a perfect method but the extremes of both ends usually work out like you think they will.

The internet is like life - you often run into these

I must say, that canoe matches your shirt rather nicely.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I must say, that canoe matches your shirt rather nicely.
    Thank you, I'm flattered that you noticed.

My shoes and handbag are coordinated as well

III% - Stand and be counted

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotten1 View Post
    I have some marijuana related "ungraded misdemeanors". Basically, 12 years ago when I was 19 I was charged with 2 ungraded misdemeanors 1 for paraphernalia and 1 for possession (a seed). I opted for a program like a lesser similar thing to probation where the crimes would (/could) be expunged afterwords, I can't remember what it was called. Anyway someone told me at the time it cost a lot of money to truly have them expunged, but I honestly know nothing about it. That's it for any legal troubles, never so much as a speeding ticket. I'm 100% drug free, I don't even care for alcohol.

Anyway, I'm a happy gun owner, and never really cared to try get a carry license. However I now work a job that I have to carry cash, in early morning hours, sometimes in inner city Allentown. So this came up as a thought.

Everywhere i read it seems to specify m1 or higher, and its confusing. So, I really don't want to waste my time if there is little or no hope. Any opinions welcome, its really not a big deal to me, but it would be nice.
    Sounds like you might have gotten ARD. If so you were never convicted of a crime and will pass the pics check but the Sheriff will probably deny you on the character clause. If it is an ARD you can have the charges expunged and then they would have no reason to deny you. I would contact the Clerk of Courts in the County where you were charged and start there. They should be able to tell you if it was ARD or not and if so how to start an expungement. You can do them yourself in some Counties.

(Bucks County)

So to sum it up, march into the sheriff's office, blindly fill out paper work, don't call a lawyer because nothing can go wrong ...you're good to go....got it?
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Northampton County)

Sounds like you were given ARD. Or Accelerated Rehabilitative Dispostion.

That program is for first time offenders. If properly completed, you finish it without a conviction. According to the law the event never happened after that. Unless you were to be charged again. Then it comes out of hiding.

Also according to the law, upon successful completion of ARD the judge is to order the expungement and erase the arrest record. I can tell you at least in Northampton County things are done properly. I've heard of other counties having issues with this.

If you truly completed an ARD program then yes, you are eligible for a LTCF.
    You were never convicted and you check the "No" box when asked about convictions.

I would get your ducks in a row. See what the result of your charges actually was.
    If it was ARD I see no reason why you won't get one.

Agree with the ARD comments.
    You have to have a drug related conviction to be prohibited from a ltcf.
    You need to know whether you were convicted.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Cumberland County)

LTCF turns a right into a privilege.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    Sounds like you might have gotten ARD. If so you were never convicted of a crime and will pass the pics check but the Sheriff will probably deny you on the character clause. If it is an ARD you can have the charges expunged and then they would have no reason to deny you. I would contact the Clerk of Courts in the County where you were charged and start there. They should be able to tell you if it was ARD or not and if so how to start an expungement. You can do them yourself in some Counties.
    Yes ARD, that's what it was. I do specifically remembering them saying how I wouldn't be convicted if I completed it. I will have to call the clerk, thanks.

I tried the website link someone listed one the first page, but I can't access it on my phone, I'll have to try pc later. I already own guns, and know it's more strict to get a carry permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rblakely View Post
    OP - when looking for advice take a look at the length of time here, number of posts and rep when deciding how much credence to give. It's not a perfect method but the extremes of both ends usually work out like you think they will.

The internet is like life - you often run into these

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    I am almost afraid to ask.....but what is that ???
    Its a Canoe without a paddle, for riding on shit creek in a Canoe without a paddle...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LvOzwgDw50
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Lehigh County)

So I looked it up, and I don't need a lawyer to have it expunged. But I need to show proof of fines paid, and completion of Ard, neither of which I I have proof of 12+ years later. I'm guessing the courthouse keeps these records? Probably would just be easier to hire a lawyer.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast