Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Moving Questions

Hey everyone. Looking to relocate to Pike and had a few questions about getting a license to carry firearms:

1. From my understanding, no fingerprints/thumbprints are needed right?

2. When it asks for references on the application...does anyone know if out of state references are accepted? Or do your references have to be fellow Pike county or Pennsylvania residents?

3. Since it says the SSN is voluntary, has anyone tried to submit the application without putting it? I don't mind putting it if I really need to, but if people have gotten it approved without it then no use in putting it.

4. Out of curiosity, does anyone know if you get a license to carry...does that add your name to another list for jury duty? I know they get your name from a lot of different lists, so I was just curious if anyone knows whether they use the list of people who have a license as an additional way to find jury members?

Thanks in advance for the help.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Default Re: Moving Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1 View Post
    From my understanding, no fingerprints/thumbprints are needed right?
    Only a DNA swab. :-)

2. When it asks for references on the application...does anyone know if out of state references are accepted? Or do your references have to be fellow Pike county or Pennsylvania residents?
    Some sheriffs try to say "county residents" but that isn't supported by statute.

3. Since it says the SSN is voluntary, has anyone tried to submit the application without putting it? I don't mind putting it if I really need to, but if people have gotten it approved without it then no use in putting it.
    I have never provided my SSN

4. Out of curiosity, does anyone know if you get a license to carry...does that add your name to another list for jury duty? I know they get your name from a lot of different lists, so I was just curious if anyone knows whether they use the list of people who have a license as an additional way to find jury members?.
    You should welcome the opportunity to serve on a jury and be part of the American justice system.

(Chester County)

1. no prints;
    2. no such restriction mentioned in application package (or Commonwealth statutes);
    3. voluntary per package;
    4. doubtful but immaterial since you need Pa DL or ID which alreay put you on list.

Instruction package: http://www.pikepa.org/Sheriffs/LTCApp.pdf
    Last edited by tl_3237; March 27th, 2014 at 08:10 PM.
    IANAL

Thanks for the replies.

2. Since one of you mentioned some counties try to say residents only for the references, does anyone know about Pike County?

3. So not putting an SSN doesn't cause any problems or delays or anything?

4. The only reason I mentioned the jury duty thing is I have heard some states collect names from a number of lists and being on multiple lists supposedly increases the chances you get called, not sure how true that is.
    And with all due respect to the justice system, it may be fine if you work a 9-5 desk job...but I typically work the night/overnight shift...so getting to court when I'm usually just getting into bed messes me up a lot and I have a hard time not falling asleep since the daytime is when I usually sleep. Then of course it takes time a day or two to get back to the night shift.

5. Just curious, from my understanding they are issuing laminated paper permits with no photo or anything on them now?

Thanks again everyone.

(Chester County)

Thanks for the replies.

2. Since one of you mentioned some counties try to say residents only for the references, does anyone know about Pike County?

3. So not putting an SSN doesn't cause any problems or delays or anything?

4. The only reason I mentioned the jury duty thing is I have heard some states collect names from a number of lists and being on multiple lists supposedly increases the chances you get called, not sure how true that is.
    And with all due respect to the justice system, it may be fine if you work a 9-5 desk job...but I typically work the night/overnight shift...so getting to court when I'm usually just getting into bed messes me up a lot and I have a hard time not falling asleep since the daytime is when I usually sleep. Then of course it takes time a day or two to get back to the night shift.

5. Just curious, from my understanding they are issuing laminated paper permits with no photo or anything on them now?

Thanks again everyone.
    2. There's nothing in the Pike package (previously linked) that states such a limitation. FWIW when I moved into Chester County from out-of-state I mentioned that I had out-of-state references even though Chester County wanted in County references. Intake deputy simply made notation on the form – no problems.

3. It may or may not delay the background investigation depending on the commonality of your name. It is VOLUNTARY. Ostensibly would be used as a discriminator should records belonging to another somehow be attributed to you.

4. In the past six years I've been called twice for Commonwealth duty and once for Federal duty. Since my name on my DL is unique to that particular license, as opposed to other "license lists", it is obvious that all three of my "invitations" were the result of a DL search. Yes, jury duty can be a major disruption in your daily routine. Unless you intend to go "off the grid" entirely I would not be concerned about any perceived increase in probability of selection for duty.

5. All PA LTCFs are issued in a standardized form to include picture and other identifying information. Mine is laminated and similar to the DL in size.
    IANAL

Hey great. Thanks again. I didn't realize the new licenses had photos on them...I remember reading in the past how they said 'valid without photo' or something like that. I don't remember it saying anything in the application, so I assume they take the photo of you? Or are you expected to bring a passport type photo?

(Chester County)

Hey great. Thanks again. I didn't realize the new licenses had photos on them...I remember reading in the past how they said 'valid without photo' or something like that. I don't remember it saying anything in the application, so I assume they take the photo of you? Or are you expected to bring a passport type photo?
    Generally you are photographed by the sheriff at some time in the process and that image is downloaded in the PSP issuance system for the record as well as the actual constructing of the license.

The only county requiring a passport photo, that I know of, is Philadelphia. There may be others but not Pike.

You really have to go though the package I linked you for Pike County. In there you'll find the answer to several of your questions including:

6. PHOTOS ARE REQUIRED AND TAKEN AT THE SHERIFF’S OFFICE.
    see: http://www.pikepa.org/Sheriffs/LTCApp.pdf
    IANAL

(Pike County)

Follow tl_3237's link. Everything you need is written out. As for the picture, they take it at the office. References do not have to be residents. Just go through the paper work slowly and thoroughly, hand it in to the grumpy lady at the desk, and you should usually receive your license within 2 weeks.

Great. Thanks again everyone.