Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default who would be the "best" PA legislator to introduce a "shall sign" bill?

Who do you all think would be the best legislator to contact about introducing a bill to require NFA form sign-offs for non-prohibeted citizens. A few other states have passed or are close to passing such legislation. I know there's probably some pessimism about this but these things don't just happen out of the blue (eg. a senator doesn't just think "I should introduce a shall-sign bill" while scrubbing his scrotum in the shower)... I know, graphic image.

Now that other states have done this there's a good template & precedent for going forward in other states. I'm mostly interested if anyone knows a good state legislator to contact that would be receptive & possibly willing to affirm these rights in PA.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: who would be the "best" PA legislator to introduce a "shall sign" bill?

Metcalf obviously comes to mind but I think his opposition dismisses him reflexively at this point.

Probably a powerful, pro-2A Democrat. We have them in this state. I can think of one but I don't know how much of a priority it is for her or how much influence she has.

This is probably the kind of thing you want to work behind the scenes to get a number of people conditionally on board on before you have it proposed and sponsored.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: who would be the "best" PA legislator to introduce a "shall sign" bill?

I admit I know nothing about the NFA process, but what is the point of having the signature of the chief LEO?
    Would forcing them to sign be worse than eliminating the requirement for the signature?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    I admit I know nothing about the NFA process, but what is the point of having the signature of the chief LEO?
    Would forcing them to sign be worse than eliminating the requirement for the signature?
    Only the ATF can eliminate the signature requirement. Some people tried to do that recently. Their result: Soon, ALL NFA will require CLEO signature. Didn;t work out too well.

On the other hand, what our PA CLEO/Sheriffs/etc. do is determined by our laws, at the state level. That is something we have some chance of changing.