Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default New LCR purchase

Just bought a Ruger LCR 38spl +p. I'm in love!(again) I'm pretty sure that 148 grain or 158 wadcutters will do the personal defense job. However, 158 grain LSWCHP +P's are historically potent. What say you guys? I can come back on target a lot faster with the standard pressure stuff.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: New LCR purchase

First of all, you'll have to change your screen name if you go down this road.

That said, I've shot hundreds of standard pressure rounds though mine to get really comfortable with it. You have to run some +P rounds on occasion to be comfortable controlling the gun with the extra recoil, and especially getting back on target. I love that little gun, but it is such a different feel than a Glock 19 or S&W 686 that I spend a little time with it every month to keep it familiar.

You'll have to try different +P loads to see what works for you. There was a review of various ones in American Rifleman about a year ago. There is quite a difference in performance among the PD rounds available.

(Lancaster County)

Yes, the 158gr LHP is the ideal 38 S&W defense round. However, since the LCR is a lightweight revolver, you should not use all lead cartridges in the revolver. The problem is that the lead bullets could move forward in the case due to recoil and thus make the revolver inoperable.

It's best to use jacketed hollowpoint cartridges in a lightweight revolver such as this one. There are many such cartridges available on the market and just as many opinions as to which one is the best.

Smile Re: New LCR purchase

Got the wife an lcr 22lr,she is very happy with all aspects and carring,she tried my ankle holster and said she does not even know it is there but wants me to put on the snap strap for her piece of mind.Yes I know its a 22 8 shot,but recoi; has been a problem of late for her so its now the 22 with stingers.

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by nazman44 View Post
    Yes, the 158gr LHP is the ideal 38 S&W defense round. However, since the LCR is a lightweight revolver, you should not use all lead cartridges in the revolver. The problem is that the lead bullets could move forward in the case due to recoil and thus make the revolver inoperable.

It's best to use jacketed hollowpoint cartridges in a lightweight revolver such as this one. There are many such cartridges available on the market and just as many opinions as to which one is the best.
    If you are reloading your own rounds, you can crimp a lead bullet plenty tight enough.

Having said that, I run cast bullets over the same powder charge as JHP bullets in my S&W bodyguard 38 Spl +P revolver.

I plink with cast and carry JHP because today's JHPs really do expand better.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Smile Re: New LCR purchase

While we are on the subject of LCRs,Holsters ? does Fobus make a paddle for this,or belt slide ? My holsters for my Snub S&Ws do not fit. any recommendatations ? TY/MDT

(Lebanon County)

bianchi model56
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Berks County)

I have a Desantis nylon IWB holster for the LCR I'd sell for 12 shipped, not using it.

(Philadelphia County)

Nice thread, love my EDC KLCR (357)...

I mostly use .38 sp but bought the KLCR because the frame is 400 steel rather than aluminum on the .38 sp model.

Target Round of Choice: I practice with .38 sp Winchester white box 158gr

Carry Round of Choice: Load it with Golden Saber HP for carry - shot a few at the range, it's like a fireball coming out the 1.8" barrel (ha)

Grips: stock hogue tamer grip but considering the bantam grip for EDC (slimmer but some complain it is also 'slicker' - not sure).

Holstering: I have/ use both the remora and sticky IWB (both cover the trigger guard well and have decent retention) and I can carry appendix or 4-5 o'clock BUT you should definitely check out the LCR-specific talon holster, I am really wanting one of those right now...