Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Maryland CCW Question

So I may have to work at one of our Maryland stores for a little bit (I do pizza/food deliveries right now) and I recall reading that it's the 5th most dangerous job with 25% of injuries/fatalities coming from assault/robbery and is the third most likely job to get you murdered in this country (surprised me too). It is considered a hazardous job by the government. Do you guys think that I might be able to get a permit from Maryland? I know that residents have to have "good" reason to get one, but I don't know much about their out of state permits and how possible it is to get one. Is it worth attempting or is it a don't waste my time kind of situation.

Thanks in advance.
    1776 or 1984? - You decide.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Maryland CCW Question

No.

10 char.........

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralWashington View Post
    So I may have to work at one of our Maryland stores for a little bit (I do pizza/food deliveries right now) and I recall reading that it's the 5th most dangerous job with 25% of injuries/fatalities coming from assault/robbery and is the third most likely job to get you murdered in this country (surprised me too). It is considered a hazardous job by the government. Do you guys think that I might be able to get a permit from Maryland? I know that residents have to have "good" reason to get one, but I don't know much about their out of state permits and how possible it is to get one. Is it worth attempting or is it a don't waste my time kind of situation.

Thanks in advance.
    There are some information here:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/maryland.pdf

I will not say it's impossible but it certainly looks like, unless you have documentable proof of threats, robberies or assaults, I suspect you will be unsuccessful – YMMV.
    IANAL

(Chester County)

Not a snowballs chance in HELL.

(York County)

Not only is it possible, but at least one PAFOA member has done so. And now I really wish I could remember his name.

Consider joining the forum at MarylandShooters and ask your question there. The PAFOA member who has his Maryland CCW is also a member there, and it might increase your chances of him seeing your post and providing some insight as to how he did it. You will also get info from others who have done it.

It is indeed orders of magnitude more difficult than PA, and the odds are against it, but it is absolutely not impossible. The biggest dowsides to even attempting this are that 1) it can take a while, 2) the money you spend in application fees are not refundable if denied, 3) if you are denied, you will now have to answer the question on any future applications "Have you ever been denied for a permit?" ..."yes".

Good luck.

http://www.mdshooters.com/forum.php
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(York County)

FOUND HIM! I should have searched first before answering.

His name here is "bighornjd", and he has a thread about it...

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...ry-permit.html

Edit: Here is a link to all 6 of bighornjd's posts over at MarylandShooters: http://www.mdshooters.com/search.php?searchid=15969324

Last edited by Curmudgeon; March 25th, 2014 at 07:22 PM.

From the MDSP web site at https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/Su...rryPermit.aspx
    What constitutes a good and substantial reason? Based on the guidance provided by the Maryland Public Safety Code, handgun permits may be issued to applicants based on the following circumstances:

1. Owner or employee of a business. You must submit photocopies of the Trader’s License or Business License to support a request based on business ownership or as an authorized employee. You must also submit photocopies of six random deposit slips for the business showing the deposits within a year of the application submission date or a letter from the bank attesting that your business has a monetary flow, along with photocopies of ten receipts showing purchases for supplies and/or payments received for services. If you are an employee, you must submit a letter from your employer on the business stationary, explaining in detail why you need to carry a firearm as part of your duties.
    2. Professional Activities. Doctors, pharmacists, etc., must show evidence of legitimacy of business activity and valid certification or license applicable to your activities.
    3. Correctional Officers. Must submit verification of employment and documentation of threats and/or assaults (ie., police reports, facility incident reports, and intelligence reports).
    4. Former Police Officers. If you have resigned or have retired, you must provide a photocopy of your retired I.D. card (front and back) and produce a letter from your former agency advising that you resigned/retired in good standing, your official resignation/retirement date and how many years of service. NOTE: Permits are issued based on the "immediacy" of the application and years of service.
    5. Private Detective/Security Guard/Special Police/Armored Car Guards. All applicants who are employed as Private Detectives, Security Guards, Special Police Officers and Armored Car Guards must submit a certification of qualification with a handgun obtained from a Maryland State Police Certified Handgun Instructor on a State Police form. A copy of the form letter supporting “good and substantial reasons,” ownership of weapon, and location where the weapon will be maintained, is also required. (This form can be obtained from your employer). Submissions of dual applications will be processed by the Handgun Permit Unit.
    6. Personal Protection. There must be documented evidence of recent threats, robberies, and/or assaults, supported by official police reports or notarized statements from witnesses.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Not only is it possible, but at least one PAFOA member has done so. And now I really wish I could remember his name.

Consider joining the forum at MarylandShooters and ask your question there. The PAFOA member who has his Maryland CCW is also a member there, and it might increase your chances of him seeing your post and providing some insight as to how he did it. You will also get info from others who have done it.

It is indeed orders of magnitude more difficult than PA, and the odds are against it, but it is absolutely not impossible. The biggest dowsides to even attempting this are that 1) it can take a while, 2) the money you spend in application fees are not refundable if denied, 3) if you are denied, you will now have to answer the question on any future applications "Have you ever been denied for a permit?" ..."yes".

Good luck.

http://www.mdshooters.com/forum.php
    No, it's not possible. Delivering pizzas will not get you an MD carry permit.

A consistent history of large business cash deposits (they guy you referenced) or licensed professional business (Dentist, Doctor, etc.) can get you one.

No pizza delivery.

BTW, I am no expert on this, just what I have read and what I have learned from people I have met that have MD CCW permit.

I've taken bank deposits before, but yeah, it sounds unlikely. I'll try and talk to some people there and get some insights; you guys are re-enforcing what I already suspected, but I figured it might be worth a try.

I go to enough sketchy people around here, god knows what MD is going to be like. Although I did have a guy come to the door OCing the other day which is a first for this town that I've seen.

Wish I worked here: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...-carry-permit/ lol
    1776 or 1984? - You decide.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    No, it's not possible. Delivering pizzas will not get you an MD carry permit.

A consistent history of large business cash deposits (they guy you referenced) or licensed professional business (Dentist, Doctor, etc.) can get you one.

No pizza delivery.

BTW, I am no expert on this, just what I have read and what I have learned from people I have met that have MD CCW permit.

I just won't go so far as to say it's impossible. The guy could be O'Malley's nephew for all I know. I posted information along with warnings about costs. Now he can find out for himself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast