Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Storage of Pistol and Magazine?

I am a newbie to firearms, but have taken my pistol safety class and been on the range with my Rugar LCP 380 a couple of times. I have a locked safe that I keep my pistol in, and have been keeping it loaded for speed/ease of use. Then I wondered if it is "legal" to store the pistol loaded or if I am supposed to keep the magazine out of the pistol during storage, etc. I specifically mean storage in my home, but am also interested in if there is a different law for carrying in my vehicle, say for times when I am NOT conceal carrying on my person.

Thanks in advance,
    Jennifer

Default Re: Storage of Pistol and Magazine?

You can keep the pistol (or any firearm) loaded while storing it at home.

As far as the vehicle, if you have an LTCF, you can leave it in the car loaded. Some will question the security of leaving any firearm in a vehicle, but there are times when there really isn't any option.

If you do not have an LTCF, you can not have the weapon loaded in the vehicle. You can not have the pistol in your vehicle at all unless transporting it directly to/from excepted places (range, gun shop, gun smith, etc.) You can find these laws in more detail here on the site.

http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...out-a-license/
    Last edited by iamtommyboy; March 25th, 2014 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Edited incorrect info

(Bucks County)

Greetings,

Welcome to the group Jennifer. The first reply was right on. I'd really suggest you get your PA LTCF. Even if you have no intention of carry on your person, it makes every type of hand gun transportation (specifically vehicle) much more legally clear cut. There's really no down side to having one. Good luck!

Regards, Jim

(Warren County)

+1 on welcome!

Have you got your LTCF yet? If not, we recommend you do asap. It's a huge deal with respect to legally carrying the pistol.

An unloaded gun is a paperweight.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer98t View Post
    I am a newbie to firearms, but have taken my pistol safety class and been on the range with my Rugar LCP 380 a couple of times. I have a locked safe that I keep my pistol in, and have been keeping it loaded for speed/ease of use. Then I wondered if it is "legal" to store the pistol loaded or if I am supposed to keep the magazine out of the pistol during storage, etc. I specifically mean storage in my home, but am also interested in if there is a different law for carrying in my vehicle, say for times when I am NOT conceal carrying on my person.

Thanks in advance,
    Jennifer
    I would strongly recommend joining a range or gun club. If not, read a LOT. I say this because you should know at least the basics of owning and possibly carrying a gun. This place has lots of good info and knowledgeable members, so don't be afraid to ask more questions.

Also, whoever talked you into buying an LCP as your first handgun, needs to be slapped. That gun is challenging for even an experienced shooter because of it's rather heavy recoil for a relatively weak cartridge and it's diminutive size . It's not a particularly fun gun to shoot because of the snappy recoil, and getting accurate hits is a lot more difficult than something like a Glock 19 or S&W M19 revolver. I own an LCP and carry it in the summer when I wouldn't be able to conceal anything larger, but I would never recommend this as a first gun for anyone.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Tioga County)

Welcome Jennifer. You came to the right place to learn. Be safe.
    MikeP

Smile Re: Storage of Pistol and Magazine?

Thanks everyone. I forgot to mention that I DO have my conceal carry permit in PA. I got it almost a year before I got my pistol. And, Yes, it does have quite a recoil. I picked it after doing a lot of reading and then going to a shooting range and trying a variety of different sized ammo's from 22 up to 45. I didn't get to shoot the LCP specifically, and would've preferred a 9mm, but felt I needed something slightly smaller as a conceal carry option. I hope I will get more used to it, and that it won't be my ONLY pistol purchase, just my first.

Thanks again for the quick replies! I am in the process of joining a pistol range so I can practice regularly. Just been too much snow on the ground until recently and so they couldn't do an orientation for the outdoor range.

(Montgomery County)

Might I recommend a really good website filled with lots of useful info?

http://www.corneredcat.com/contents/

This link takes you directly to the articles which are well organized and will answer many questions you may still have.

It's run by a women FOR women, but still has plenty of great info for all new or relatively new shooters.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post
    Might I recommend a really good website filled with lots of useful info?

http://www.corneredcat.com/contents/

This link takes you directly to the articles which are well organized and will answer many questions you may still have.

It's run by a women FOR women, but still has plenty of great info for all new or relatively new shooters.
    Solid advice.
    MikeP

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer98t View Post
    Thanks everyone. I forgot to mention that I DO have my conceal carry permit in PA. I got it almost a year before I got my pistol. And, Yes, it does have quite a recoil. I picked it after doing a lot of reading and then going to a shooting range and trying a variety of different sized ammo's from 22 up to 45. I didn't get to shoot the LCP specifically, and would've preferred a 9mm, but felt I needed something slightly smaller as a conceal carry option. I hope I will get more used to it, and that it won't be my ONLY pistol purchase, just my first.

Thanks again for the quick replies! I am in the process of joining a pistol range so I can practice regularly. Just been too much snow on the ground until recently and so they couldn't do an orientation for the outdoor range.
    Once you get hooked, you'll be back for more. If you get a chance, try out a Ruger SR9c. It is a pleasure to shoot and still small enough to carry concealed.
    MikeP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast