Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default Heritage Rough Rider problem

About 2 years ago I bought a Rough Rider 22lr/22mag. Lots of fun to shoot for the price. Have 2 problems, one is a loose barrel, I can turn it about a 1/4in. so it will have to go back. Second is more interesting. When clean and oiled the hammer will click the correct 4 clicks when being cocked. After several cylinders full have been fired, approx. 30 to 40 rnds the hammer has to be forced to click the 4th time. A lot of times you can't hear it click for the fourth time even though it will fire properly. And it can become a PITA {sore thumb wise}. Not to mention, if not paying attention, the thing will drop the hammer at 3 clicks , but produce numerous misfires. Once this occurs a generous application of oil where the hammer pivots alleviates this problem for a couple of more cylinders full. It will be going back to Heritage but I am interested in knowing what may be causing this problem. Ever happen to you???

Smile Re: Heritage Rough Rider problem

Saw your post at G/F also.I have the 3'' birdshead no issues and the action got easier to single action even thought of doing an action job early on but after nearley a brick of ammo/no issues the action is sweet.I paid $110 used,at a LGS with the extra mag cyl.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Heritage Rough Rider problem

I have exactly the same pistol and sent away to the company for the mag. Cylinder. Sometimes if I forget to pull the hammer to the last position, then it misfires, but that is my fault. It is ok for a bargain pistol, but I probably should have saved my money and bought a Ruger single six. However the feature I like the most on the Heritage is the pretty set of grips they put on it. As far as the quality, I guess you get what you pay for. I paid $180.00 new for it, but so far it seems to be ok however I've only fired it about twenty times. I am not impressed with the accuracy or the bluing job they did on it either.
    Last edited by Swamp Fox; March 25th, 2014 at 08:49 AM.
    Navy ⚓️ 1965–1969

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Heritage Rough Rider problem

Quote Originally Posted by BomberG View Post
    About 2 years ago I bought a Rough Rider 22lr/22mag. Lots of fun to shoot for the price. Have 2 problems, one is a loose barrel, I can turn it about a 1/4in. so it will have to go back. Second is more interesting. When clean and oiled the hammer will click the correct 4 clicks when being cocked. After several cylinders full have been fired, approx. 30 to 40 rnds the hammer has to be forced to click the 4th time. A lot of times you can't hear it click for the fourth time even though it will fire properly. And it can become a PITA {sore thumb wise}. Not to mention, if not paying attention, the thing will drop the hammer at 3 clicks , but produce numerous misfires. Once this occurs a generous application of oil where the hammer pivots alleviates this problem for a couple of more cylinders full. It will be going back to Heritage but I am interested in knowing what may be causing this problem. Ever happen to you???
    Send it back, include both cylinders, send it in the box that it came in, include a note stating the problems that you posted here, they will repair it.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.