Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Reducing P226 Trigger creep/slack/takeup

I recently bought a P226 MK25 and installed a 17lb hammer spring and the SRT kit. That spring makes the DA a hell of a lot better. I'd wager it's down to about a 7lb pull compared to the factory 10lbs.

While I had it opened up, I figured I'd try to see if I could understand the reason there's so much dead space between the trigger being depressed, then getting resistance.

I realized it's because of the hammer. It's hard to explain via keyboard, but I think I'll be able to get my point across in the picture. Anyone who has handled a Sig knows about that ~1/2 inch of travel before meeting any resistance. This is what the normal P22X series hammer looks like.

Now, that notch on the bottom left is where the trigger bar(?) sits. When you pull the trigger, it moves forward and catches on the front part of that notch and moves the hammer. The problem is that it moves all the way back to the left side of the notch and then has to travel that distance to the other side with every trigger pull and release.

Now, my question is this. Does anyone know of anywhere that might sell an aftermarket hammer that isn't a Sig brand? I'm hoping that an aftermarket non-Sig brand might have les of a space.

Or, if I should order a 2nd hammer and mess around with a few welds to reduce that dead space?
    “Until they become conscious, they will never rebel.” - George Orwell, 1984

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Reducing P226 Trigger creep/slack/takeup

Unless you're an experienced gunsmith, I would avoid trying to fabricate custom action parts simply from a safety and legality standpoint. It's an established fact that the SRT kit reduces reset distance at the expense of adding trigger creep. For my carry Sig's, I run the SRT. For my target Sig's, I only do a trigger job. If you're interested in improving the trigger without paying a gunsmith a small fortune, I recommend following the below instructions . . . I've used them to great success on a number of projects. Good luck!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=412515

(Philadelphia County)

I figured I'd update this since I believe I might have found the solution to my problem.

http://www.idptactical.com/product/s...ement-trigger/

They advertise that this trigger eliminates the takeup before starting to engage the hammer.

(Northampton County)

Looks interesting, report back and let us know what you think!

(Philadelphia County)

Update:

I just installed the trigger and while the slack isn't totally gone, I'd say it's reduced it by about half. Also, the trigger is solid and feels better than the stock trigger.

So, should you buy it? Meh. $60 shipped is a bit much. If you were considering buying the solid or short trigger, then yes. It does everything better than the stock trigger and the other ones that you can order, while also reducing the take-up.

If it's something you just noticed while reading this thread, then you'll probably be fine without it.

(Northampton County)

Interesting, perhaps I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the feedback!