Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Learning trap in Delco?

I know there are a couple of trap shooting ranges around in Delco and the surrounding areas, but I see you need to be a member or a guest of a member -- I've never shot trap before, but I'd love to give it a try.

Are there any instructors in the area? Anybody a member at one of these clubs who would be willing to give me some basic instruction?

I hope you can understand why I don't want to just walk to a club and make a complete ass of myself in front of everyone by missing every clay

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Learning trap in Delco?

Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalReaper View Post
    I know there are a couple of trap shooting ranges around in Delco and the surrounding areas, but I see you need to be a member or a guest of a member -- I've never shot trap before, but I'd love to give it a try.

Are there any instructors in the area? Anybody a member at one of these clubs who would be willing to give me some basic instruction?

I hope you can understand why I don't want to just walk to a club and make a complete ass of myself in front of everyone by missing every clay
    I shot skeet for the first time yesterday, at a place called Rural Sportsman Association. It near Allentown but open to the public and the people there are nice guys and it was a good time. They took the time to help me out give me pointers, etc just over all nice guys at the club. They have Skeet and Trap ranges, i should of shoot trap, with skeet you have to be real quick when shooting the clays. Its $4 for 25 clays.
    IANAL

(Delaware County)

I could go over the basics with you at Delaware County Field and Stream Association. Do you have a shotgun? If not have you ever shot one?

I would start you out on our table trap range. The shooting distance is a little shorter than regular trap and it will help you get a feel for it.

Bring some ammo, no larger than #8 shot and must be target loads, no high brass. If I don't have some birds laying around in the table trap shed you'd have to buy a box of birds too, I think they are $11 for 135 birds. I'm at the table trap range most Sundays around noon but if you let me know ahead of time I'll make it a point to be there. You'd need to get a guest pass for the day, I think they're around 10 bucks. Once a month from March to November, except July and August, we have a fun shoot competition and all are welcome, even non members, but the range is closed to general shooting that day during the shoot, normally the 2nd Sunday of the month, you can see the dates for those at the "table trap" link above.

Here's a short video of the table trap set up (I don't know these folks):

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by CartBone69 View Post
    I shot skeet for the first time yesterday, at a place called Rural Sportsman Association. It near Allentown but open to the public and the people there are nice guys and it was a good time. They took the time to help me out give me pointers, etc just over all nice guys at the club. They have Skeet and Trap ranges, i should of shoot trap, with skeet you have to be real quick when shooting the clays. Its $4 for 25 clays.
    You're right about skeet being faster, it's because the shot window is smaller. With skeet you're shooting a bird that is crossing in front of you, with trap the bird is going away from you giving you a much longer time to get on target.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    I could go over the basics with you at Delaware County Field and Stream Association. Do you have a shotgun? If not have you ever shot one?

I would start you out on our table trap range. The shooting distance is a little shorter than regular trap and it will help you get a feel for it.

Bring some ammo, no larger than #8 shot and must be target loads, no high brass. If I don't have some birds laying around in the table trap shed you'd have to buy a box of birds too, I think they are $11 for 135 birds. I'm at the table trap range most Sundays around noon but if you let me know ahead of time I'll make it a point to be there. You'd need to get a guest pass for the day, I think they're around 10 bucks. Once a month from March to November, except July and August, we have a fun shoot competition and all are welcome, even non members, but the range is closed to general shooting that day during the shoot, normally the 2nd Sunday of the month, you can see the dates for those at the "table trap" link above.

Here's a short video of the table trap set up (I don't know these folks):

Hi Sober,

No, sir, I've never fired a shotgun before! I am looking to buy myself a pump-action (Mossy 500, Remington 870, or Winchester SXP) after finals end: once I graduate in May, I expect I will have a lot more free time to practice.

I'll let you know in advance if/when I'm heading out to DCFSA, and hopefully I'll be able to meet you in person. I'm looking forward to giving it a try, and I'm eager to learn and get better... as I'll probably be thoroughly out-shot by the youths

Thank you!
    Last edited by ChemicalReaper; March 24th, 2014 at 12:35 PM.

(Delaware County)

Hi Sober,

No, sir, I've never fired a shotgun before! I am looking to buy myself a pump-action (Mossy 500, Remington 870, or Winchester SXP) after finals end: once I graduate in May, I expect I will have a lot more free time to practice.

I'll let you know in advance if/when I'm heading out to DCFSA, and hopefully I'll be able to meet you in person. I'm looking forward to giving it a try, and I'm eager to learn and get better... as I'll probably be thoroughly out-shot by the youths

Thank you!
    If you think you're going to really get into trap you might want to reconsider the gun you want. Although any shotgun can work, a pump is rarely used by regular trap shooters. Here's something to read and watch.

http://www.theoutdoorlodge.com/featu...ssell_001.html

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    If you think you're going to really get into trap you might want to reconsider the gun you want. Although any shotgun can work, a pump is rarely used by regular trap shooters. Here's something to read and watch.

http://www.theoutdoorlodge.com/featu...ssell_001.html

I appreciate the advice—and in all the YouTube videos I've seen, I noticed everyone used side-by-side or over/under shotguns—but for the moment, I'd rather invest in a good, but cheaper, multi-purpose: coming out of college, with student loans, interest payments, and an underwhelming job market, a good O/U is just not something I can afford at this point. If I find myself competing or shooting very regularly, at a future time when I have a disposable income, I'll certainly invest in a shotgun specifically for this type of sport

As long as I can put in a shell and it goes 'bang' when I pull the trigger, it works for me

(Sorry for the long reply.)
    Last edited by ChemicalReaper; March 24th, 2014 at 03:03 PM.

(Delaware County)

I appreciate the advice—and in all the YouTube videos I've seen, I noticed everyone used side-by-side or over/under shotguns—but for the moment, I'd rather invest in a good, but cheaper, multi-purpose: coming out of college, with student loans, interest payments, and an underwhelming job market, a good O/U is just not something I can afford at this point. If I find myself competing or shooting very regularly, at a future time when I have a disposable income, I'll certainly invest in a shotgun specifically for this type of sport

As long as I can put in a shell and it goes 'bang' when I pull the trigger, it works for me

(Sorry for the long reply.)
    I use a semi-auto.

The reason I mention the pump is follow up shots when shooting 'doubles" is very hard with a pump, especially being new to the sport. Ideally an O/U with a 30 inch (or longer) barrel is what you want for trap.

(Delaware County)

Ah, that also makes sense. A friend of mine swears by his Benelli M4. Nonetheless, I should see if I can hit <I>one</I> flying target first, before even thinking about doubles!