Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: finished my AR pistol

It was designed by a prosthetics doctor for returning Vets with loss of limb or nerve damage.
    As a matter of fact, part of the proceeds goes to HAVA.
    Last edited by AJ C-burg; March 24th, 2014 at 06:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BionicMan View Post
    /\ This . . . simply because you can shoulder that brace just as easily as a stock. Personally I can't imagine how it ever got approved in the first place.

Such as?
    It was approved because ATF bases decisions on the manufacturer's intended purpose, not what you might be able to do with it.

My thoughts? I think they realize how silly, extensive and time consuming the NFA and SBR regulations are and have given an alternate route. I have no doubt that it will be reviewed by some shithead agent in the future. Whether it will be banned or not, who knows.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by AJ C-burg View Post
    It was designed by a prosthetics doctor for returning Vets with loss of limb or nerve damage.
    As a matter of fact, part of the proceeds goes to HAVA.
    As a product designer, former AR pistol owner, AND an upper extremity amputee myself . . . I can't see how this device would be advantageous for those with only one arm. Would it help support the gun? Sure . . . but you'd need someone else to help put it on, help take it off, and you wouldn't be able to reload on your own. Even if the amputee has an effective external terminal device like mine (below), it would still be a time consuming process to mount/unmount the firearm, and reload. I found it most effective to use a fairly tight two point sling over the shoulder, behind the back, and then under the gripping arm - and then tuck the tube close into the shoulder. Ultimately though, the AR simply isn't a weapon that's going to be easy to manipulate with just one hand in any fashion. Bullpups like the Tavor, PS90, and F2000 are by far the easiest rifle designs to wield one-handed. I learned the hard (and expensive) way that it's far more effective to start with the easiest weapon system than to try and modify something that doesn't work well into functioning the way you want.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by FLICK View Post
    A lot of misinformation in this thread......

You CAN have a VFG on pistol as long as the OAL is over 26 inches. It's no longer a pistol at that point. The ATF then classifies it as a "firearm."

The Sig arm brace can be used any way you want. It's how it's classified by the ATF that keeps it legal. I have no doubt that it will, eventually, be banned....

OP, excellent parts choices all around. Post pics of the awesome fire balls you will be enjoying....
    It would take a 11.5" barrel along with a pistol buffer tube to get it to 26"+, that's no 11.5" barrel on that pistol.

Is it legal to remove the velcro?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    It would take a 11.5" barrel along with a pistol buffer tube to get it to 26"+, that's no 11.5" barrel on that pistol.
    With a 10.3" barrel and the KAK tube(8.5") it is just over 26". I do not intend to put on a vert grip, to many papers to carry and reference if questioned.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Is it legal to remove the velcro?
    From my understanding the strap must remain on the device or it is no longer an arm brace. It just makes sense to leave it on anyway.

(Centre County)

Lightbulb Re: finished my AR pistol

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    I'm aware of what it takes to get the "pistol" long enough to be legal in length to accept a VFG. I assembled one with exactly this ruling in mind. I never specifically referenced his particular build in my post, except to say it was a quality build....
    Last edited by FLICK; March 24th, 2014 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Da gramma....
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by FLICK View Post
    I'm aware of what it takes to get the "pistol" long enough to be legal in length to accept a VFG. I assembled one with exactly this ruling in mind. I never specifically referenced his particular build in my post, except to say it was a quality build....
    I'm not referring to the OP's build, which is very nice BTW. I'm talking about the pic of the guy shooting.

(Franklin County)

Here's my dads. Basically same lower set up. He opted to get a DD Mk18 upper to slap on.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast