Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Question Are calls to the PA State Police dispatcher a matter of public record?

And can I obtain them via a right to know request?

Here's the scenario:

I have 400' of roadside frontage on my property. People drive off the road and into my yard intentionally and unintentionally. Also, the snow plow rips 2' of sod off of my law every year, because the snow plow operator can't see the side of road.

I have tried to use Home Cheapo push-in deflectors, but kids just pull them out and smash them on the street.

So, I had one of my vendors make 1.5 x 1.5 x 7' solid steel bars to drive into my lawn to act as deterrents to such activity. The desired effect is the same as putting boulders into my lawn but with more aesthetically-pleasing results. They are nicely finished with a round finial on top.

A State trooper came by as I was shooting hoops the other night. I said "May I help you officer? You seem lost."

"Well, I got a call to investigate some spikes that somebody is driving into his yard to intentionally impale children. I have no idea what they're talking about."

I showed him my posts.

He replied "You're kidding, right? THAT is what I'm getting calls about? How is a kid supposed to impale himself--jump up 5' and throw himself onto it?"

"Well, officer, I agree. I am, however, tired of spending $150 each year on topsoil and seed to restore my lawn. Do you see a problem with my solution?"

"No, it's your property."

Now, I want to know the name of the person who called in the complaint.

How can find this out?

Thanks.

BNP
    Last edited by BlownNitroPontiac; June 4th, 2008 at 01:48 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Are calls to the PA State Police dispatcher a matter of public record?

why does it really matter, honestly?

Are you hoping to get the info for retaliation purposes?

The PD report most likely will probably have the callers name redacted, so you will never get the info.

best to just let it go, the cop check the report, found its BS, and you are good, so let it go.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Are calls to the PA State Police dispatcher a matter of public record?

Are you certain as to where the state/public right-of-way ends? Just because your grass grows upto the edge of the pavement, it doesn't mean you have land rights to it..

Most state roads are 50ft wide right-of-ways, some of the older roads have 25 & 33ft wide right-of-ways.

Township roads most of the time are 33ft wide, with a few 25ft RoW's.

Boroughs and cities are usually 25 or 33ft.

There are variances for each: township, state, city/borough..

If you live along a state road, measure the width of the pavement, divide it by two to find the center. Then measure out 25ft - thats pretty much were your land rights begin for a 50ft right-of-way.

If you live along a dirt state/twp road - you have to measure the traveled portion of the road and divide it by 2 to find center.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Berks County)

I'm appalled by your decision to plant these metal stakes in your front yard. Think about the children, you SOB.

(Venango County)

I once worked in Gas company and the right of ways usually get smaller as the level of gov't responsible for the road gets lower.

One quick way to tell is look at telephone poles, if any, and they are usually placed just inside the Right of Way line.

You could check maps at a local utility. I would suggest Gas Co. etc. I used to locate the lines for Pa. One Calls and getting permits to dig lines etc.

We had every street marked with ROW on our maps including some that did not have gas lines on them.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Are you certain as to where the state/public right-of-way ends? Just because your grass grows upto the edge of the pavement, it doesn't mean you have land rights to it...
    That matter is irrelevant, since it is me and not the Township, that is financially burdened with replacing the sod every Spring.

The issue is, since I'm required to maintain the right-of-way, I'm attempting to reduce the impact on me by having to do so.

If the Township has an issue with my placement of stakes, I'll require that THEY restore my lawn every Spring. So far, their opinion has been that it's my yard, so I'm free to take whatever action is necessary to prevent jumokes from driving on it.

(Centre County)

The deed to your property will tell you EXACTLY where your property line is. At that point (the property line) you can put up your fence, poles, trees, hedge, etc. If any of what you do is anywhere else that on your property the town/township/county/state can make you take it down.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

Lightbulb Re: Are calls to the PA State Police dispatcher a matter of public record?

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post
    I'm appalled by your decision to plant these metal stakes in your front yard. Think about the children, you SOB.
    Yeah, I hear ya.

But, you must have missed the part that called out "decorative ROUND finials."

(Montgomery County)

Lightbulb Re: Are calls to the PA State Police dispatcher a matter of public record?

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    why does it really matter, honestly?
    Because I suspect that the A-hole complainant is one of my spineless neighbors. I just wanted confirmation.

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by BlownNitroPontiac View Post
    Because I suspect that the A-hole complainant is one of my spineless neighbors. I just wanted confirmation.

Be the bigger man and drop it.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast