Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Dillon 550 from 1985 what to do with it?

I just picked up a dillon 550 from 1985 unused in box! I own an SDB but the 550 is new to me. What should I do with it and what is the difference between the 550 and 550B?

Thumbs up Re: Dillon 550 from 1985 what to do with it?

I say USE it!!!!

Last summer, to get around the ammo "shortage" we just reactivated my old Dillon 550 from that era..we're using the hell out of it.

Dillon has any replacement parts you need. We added a new digital scale and a Dillon primer pocket swadger.

Now we load .45, .357, .38, and 9mm on the old 550 so far. Working like it did in the 1980s. Dillon will send you a manual if you need it and "chat" u thru any setup.

I'm not sure but I THINK the main diff betw the 550 and the 550B is slightly better primer feed. The 550 seems to be fine, so we decided to just use it as is. We reprime most of our cases by hand anyways..using the shell holder slot for holding the case and sliding a single primer into place one at a time. Why do this? It is slower, but we're using very clean cases that have already been resized, de-primed and soaked in vinegar before re-priming..slow, but gives us CLEAN brass. see thread on home case prep, this section: http://forum.pafoa.org/ammunition-re...old-items.html
    Last edited by Fred762; March 16th, 2014 at 05:50 PM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Dillon 550 from 1985 what to do with it?

The manual is printing now.

(Clarion County)

One advantage to the 550 is any standard die set can be used. You'll need to get the proper shell plate and powder drop for selected caliber. Many crossover so check the manual. For example the same shell plate is used in .223 and .380 acp. Being new in box it may also command a good price if you plan to sell.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Wink Re: Dillon 550 from 1985 what to do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    One advantage to the 550 is any standard die set can be used. You'll need to get the proper shell plate and powder drop for selected caliber. Many crossover so check the manual. For example the same shell plate is used in .223 and .380 acp. Being new in box it may also command a good price if you plan to sell.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yuppers..we bought several extra shell plates, extra aluminum die holders and 2 extra powder measures, and leave the dies set up IN them ready to go. Don't lose those pesky numbered pins that hold the cases IN the shell plates! ;-)

U will have to change the primer feed setup(takes about 5 min) if u change to a dif size primer, but heck it beats the heck outta a single stage press. IF you do not mind dirty primer pockets and some grunge inside the cases you can fly thru reloading w cases just tumbled or vibed. We prefer clean primer pockets and insides...

Dillon will help you at every turn! BTW they have great carbide dies.

Note..if you plan to reload 9x19mm Luger cases you need to get a undersize 9mm die. [google it] I forgot where I got ours but it will reduce the # of cases you throw away by reducing the diameter of the cases back to factory specs easily.....
    Last edited by Fred762; March 16th, 2014 at 08:02 PM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    One advantage to the 550 is any standard die set can be used.
    The 550b can do the same. I used my Lee dies until my Dillon set came in two weeks after my press.

(Montgomery County)

According to The Blue Press:

The 550 is essentially an 550B without the automatic priming and powder system.
    It uses any manufacturers standard 7/8"x14 reloading dies.
    It is fully upgradable to the 550B.

(Monroe County)

I have everything put together and cleaned up. Nearly 30 years of sitting caused some corrosion issues between the steel parts and aluminum. Everything is moving freely now. The only issue is that the press does not "reset" after the up stroke for the prime. I dont know if this is normal for the machine but my SBD bounces back nicely. The only spring that applies this force in the one on the primer cup. I think the failsafe powder system might add some boost to this as well. The powder feed system was fairly bound up and i could not get the part that threads into the tool head to come off the rest of the measure so I could insert the funnel. I am fairly pleased with it and I can see the dollars being spent on add ons for it already. I use an SDB to load 9 and 45. Its nice to see more blue on my bench.

Send it to me. I will store it for you for the next 30 years.

(Montgomery County)

Although it might not be cost effective.. Dillon has a NO BS warranty on more of there presses. You could send it in to get looked over.

Or if you had a dillon shop local they might be willing to check it out for you. not sure what or if they would charge you anything. My LGS looked over my 550 when I had issues. I didn't even purchase it from them.

But don't be afraid to call them and go over any concerns. They are normally pretty good on the customer service end.
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast