Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default am I being too OCD for wanting a flush fitting weapon light?

I just bought my first gun, and it has to fit a few different roles as it will be my only one for the foreseeable future ( probably a year or so as I plan on going to collage soon) so it will be my personal defense, home defense and general range use/ plinking gun for a while.

I want a light for home use, ( maybe ccw use?) so if it ever comes to it I can, with out searching for a light, have a way to be sure I know that what I think is an intruder really is not a drunk neighbor/roommate falling on there face drunk. My admittedly suborn head says I NEED a flush fitting light, I have no basis in fact for this besides I think it looks better, or maybe, I think, it will carry better.

to be clear I personally do not want to trust having a flash light at the ready. I know there are ways of shooting with a light in the off hand but I fear in the moment I would louse the light ( if I Had a nickle for every time I have been almost late for work because I temporally lost my car keys I could afford a privet security force and I would not have to worry about this )

I will not be carrying for a few months (4-6) at least, and to be honest if some one was to bust down my door as I make this post I would probably be best suited to wait the 10-20 minutes for the police to arrive as I really lack training to shoot straight or defend my self in any ,useful, way with a handgun, but I would like to get use to the light on the gun while taking range trips. so all in all no real rush to get a light.
    Is there any logic to wanting it to be flush fitting, any of you guys use the same gun for ccw and home defense? any range training advice? do you take your light off in the morning or do you leave it on?

thanks in advance.

(Washington County)

Default Re: am I being too OCD for wanting a flush fitting weapon light?

I'd say a little OCD. My glock 17 has a dedicated light and holster. The light never comes off, morning or night.

If I put the same light ( surefire x300u) on my G35 it is flush, but that really doesn't matter to me. Don't always go off of looks. Get some proper training and feel confident about YOUR handgun.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Mercer County)

I'd rather have a light that protrudes past the muzzle. It would act as a standoff device in the event of a contact shot.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    I'd rather have a light that protrudes past the muzzle. It would act as a standoff device in the event of a contact shot.
    forgive my ignorance but what difference would it make? having a 1/4-1/2 inch between a BG and not having that space?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by M&P Chris View Post
    I'd say a little OCD. My glock 17 has a dedicated light and holster. The light never comes off, morning or night.

If I put the same light ( surefire x300u) on my G35 it is flush, but that really doesn't matter to me. Don't always go off of looks. Get some proper training and feel confident about YOUR handgun.
    What position do you carry? If you feel comfortable sharing.
    Last edited by 7thmoosefromtheleft; March 22nd, 2014 at 01:32 AM. Reason: little bit of grammar added for kicks

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by 7thmoosefromtheleft View Post
    forgive my ignorance but what difference would it make? having a 1/4-1/2 inch between a BG and not having that space?
    What gun did you buy? That 1/4 to 1/2 inch of guaranteed space can make a big difference. With many guns, if you ram the muzzle into an attacker it can very possibly push the slide out of battery. When the slide is out of battery, the gun is inoperable. A standoff device decreases the likelihood of that happening.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Washington County)

What position do you carry? If you feel comfortable sharing.
    9 o'clock. I'm a lefty. Carry either a glock 17,19 or 35 in a raven OWB.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    What gun did you buy? That 1/4 to 1/2 inch of guaranteed space can make a big difference. With many guns, if you ram the muzzle into an attacker it can very possibly push the slide out of battery. When the slide is out of battery, the gun is inoperable. A standoff device decreases the likelihood of that happening.
    a walther ppq .40, and yes after pushing the gun against my chair I find the slide does move a bit
    that makes sense, I suppose I should have though of that. this will help me get over my stubbornness.

I kinda Like that inforce apl, but the reviews seem like that are either paid for or at least a little hyped. any one know anything about it?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by M&P Chris View Post
    9 o'clock. I'm a lefty. Carry either a glock 17,19 or 35 in a raven OWB.
    ah I see my body type does not lead well for strong side carry, and I do not wear vests or button up shirts so OWB probably would not work as well for me. none the less I can see how that would work well for you. kinda wondering how comfortable it would be with that extra space in appendix or 5-7 o clock iwb.

(Washington County)

ah I see my body type does not lead well for strong side carry, and I do not wear vests or button up shirts so OWB probably would not work as well for me. none the less I can see how that would work well for you. kinda wondering how comfortable it would be with that extra space in appendix or 5-7 o clock iwb.
    Hey what works for some might not work for others. Experiment and see what fits your body type and dress.

I would advise against carrying small of back, if that's what you mean by 5-7 o'clock.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast