Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the area

(Chester County)

Default New to the area

Hello everyone! New guy here, currently I live on Long Island, NY and I recently accepted a job in Downingtown and will most likely be moving to King of Prussia.

Just had some quick questions after doing a lot of searching on these forums about LTCF process. First off I dont know the area so no idea what areas are under what township and things like that but I know it does fall in Montco

I have been reading the process on how to get it in Montco and even though it seems to suck from your point of view with those police check forms you would flip a shit if you had to do it here. so I had some questions if you guys could help me.

Can I do this with a temporary drivers license while I wait for my real license?

This police check card form, can I go to any police precinct or are there specific ones for certain areas? like i said I have no idea about these townships and areas.

Whats the best reason to fill out on the form why you need it? Self-defense? Target shooting? etc.. Does it matter?

Has anyone ever had the police check filled out and received their LTCF all in one day? is it even possible?

I don't mind doing the police check form as like i said its an absolute nightmare doing it here so anything quicker is a blessing. Just looking for some advice and questions. In my county now it currently takes on average 6 months, along with 2 interviews, multiple forms, references needing to fill out and sign cards, getting everything notarized and also fingerprints to get a pistol permit. Oh and you need to spend in excess of $150 to get it. That permit isn't even to open carry or conceal carry (nobody gets that), its strictly just for you to be in possession of a pistol, hell you need a permit to even touch a pistol. It cant be carried loaded unless going to and from the range and only stops for food and gas are allowed. Even when you do get your permit, all your serial numbers are then put on the back of your permit. When buying a pistol you need to buy it, get a receipt from the dealer, drive to the pistol bureau get a purchase document, back to the dealer to pick up the pistol and then back again to the pistol bureau to add it to your license.

Yea... be glad you dont have to do that, only reason i dont have a pistol permit in NY. oh and if you lose your pistol permit in NY, thanks to the unSAFE act you must turn in any and all other weapons (rifles and shotguns)

Default Re: New to the area

IMO Montgomery Co sucks. I've been carrying since age 21 and I can tell you that Montgomery Co has been the worst experience.

I wasn't born in the States, but I'm a citizen. I had to bring proof of my citizenship and no one bothered telling me this until I was already at the courthouse. I had to come back the following week with the document.

If you are going to work in Downingtown, you are better off living in Chester Co as you won't have the hassle you will living in Montgomery Co. The Sheriff in Chester Co is also pro 2A if you later purchase NFA items...you will get sign off much faster.

You have to fill out the police card at the police station in your town.

(Bucks County)

I have had a NYS Pistol Permit (own not carry) in both LI and later NYC. I live in Montgomery County and have a permit here. I know you hear chatter on this board about how rough it is here, you will find it to be heaven compared to NYS. It took all of about three weeks to issue, without any of the sort of Gestapo nonsense they put you through in NY. Get your PA drivers license and get settled in. There is no need for a pistol permit unless you intend to carry (quite unlike NY).
    When I had to apply for my NYC permit, they were under a 6 month to act rule in the state, I remember calling at 6 months to ask where my permit was and the Sgt. that answered the call said the law was really just 'guidance' and he questioned my moral character for calling in and questioning them. I penned a nice letter to the Captain that ran the section and two days later his secretary told me to come in and get my 'damn permit' (her words, not mine). I don't miss NY at all, good riddance.

(Chester County)

Welcome to PA! Is there a reason you are moving to KOP even though you moved b/c of your job in Dtown? Have you been to the area yet to check out places?

The only thing I can say regarding a permit is when I got mine my DL had my old address on it, I just had to show them the change of address paper permit and was good...Not exactly the same, but....

King of Prussia is in Upper Merion Township. You will have to have your local PD do the check, unless you follow the advice of the board here and just turn in your application at Montco Sheriff without police check. Typically, it takes a few days for the PD to do the police check card, though I only have experience with 2 different PDs, so I can't speak for the many others throughout the state. Once the card is complete, you should be able to pick it up and go to the sheriff and walk out with an LTCF. If you do not complete the card, the sheriff will likely take his fully allotted time to issue (45 days.)

Welcome to KoP, PA and the board. Stick around, you will like it better than NY!

(Chester County)

thank you for the feedback guys.

the place I wanted isnt open anymore so I need to find a new apartment and this one looks like possibly in Exton which is now chester county. no need for that police check form even though coming from NY i have 0 problem with it. compared to getting my license in NY its easy as pie.

I really wanted to move to KoP because its around everything, pretty busy and popping and im very use to that being from suburban long island. I think Exton is a good choice and even closer to Downingtown. even though I bet you guys appreciate the wide open-ness of PA, its a big change for me so I still like a little traffic, road noise and shopping centers lol. I was down there last tuesday and wednesday doing nothing but looking at places from phoenixville all the way to downingtown and all in between.

Ill be so busy I guess with all the moving and job ill go down on a weekend, get my drivers license. Wait for it to come in the mail, run down to the sheriffs office during my hour lunch break and get my permit real quick.

I settled on a gun, going with a glock 19 and probably a crossbreed supertuck IWB holster

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by DanSan View Post
    I really wanted to move to KoP because its around everything, pretty busy and popping and im very use to that being from suburban long island. I think Exton is a good choice and even closer to Downingtown. even though I bet you guys appreciate the wide open-ness of PA, its a big change for me so I still like a little traffic, road noise and shopping centers lol. I was down there last tuesday and wednesday doing nothing but looking at places from phoenixville all the way to downingtown and all in between.
    I was gonna suggest Exton, it's kinda like the KOP of Chester Co. I little more corporatey with a lot of shopping centers and traffic (but not the annoying kind). After 9-10pm things tend to die down...You should definitely look into West Chester too, more night life, bars, collegey (even if that's not your thing there are spots for just kickin it). Rent is gonna be a bit more, but if you want to big city in a small scale that's where it's at. Dowiningtown is on the rise, but it's a bit more family focused than West Chester.

Again, welcome...if you have any questions or opinions on places feel free to PM me...

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by f_bomb View Post
    I was gonna suggest Exton, it's kinda like the KOP of Chester Co. I little more corporatey with a lot of shopping centers and traffic (but not the annoying kind). After 9-10pm things tend to die down...You should definitely look into West Chester too, more night life, bars, collegey (even if that's not your thing there are spots for just kickin it). Rent is gonna be a bit more, but if you want to big city in a small scale that's where it's at. Dowiningtown is on the rise, but it's a bit more family focused than West Chester.

Again, welcome...if you have any questions or opinions on places feel free to PM me...
    I did check out west Chester and yes they were more expensive but in the main area of town it felt a little run down and really old. Plus it seemed a little too college town for me. I'm in my late 20's so that time period is over for me. I really like KoP but i think I'm going to have to go with Exton, we will see.

Now I just need to find a good outdoor and indoor gun range I can go to without joining a club or being a member. One thing I liked about a range on the island, $15 to get in and shoot all day, no questions asked.

Since it's a pain in the ass to get a pistol permit in NY I never got mine and never did indoor pistol shooting. I'm really excited about buying my first pistol and doing indoor shooting
    Last edited by DanSan; March 23rd, 2014 at 12:52 AM.

(Chester County)

Welcome to the area!!

Check out this thread for some other folks in the area.

http://forum.pafoa.org/chester-16/24...wningtown.html
    “The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny. Not to hunt.” Ice-T

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by DanSan View Post
    Now I just need to find a good outdoor and indoor gun range I can go to without joining a club or being a member. One thing I liked about a range on the island, $15 to get in and shoot all day, no questions asked.
    Without joining a club, here are your options:
    - Targetmaster (down Rt.202 before the DE border), indoor public range, hourly, pistol and rifle (.223 only purchased there)
    - French Creek Outfitters (Phoenixville), indoor public range, hourly, pistol and small rifle (pistol caliber and 22lr), indoor archery range too
    - State Game Lands public ranges, outdoors, need hunting license or range permit, 3 round loading limit

If you want a flat fee all day shooting, 45min drive to Wicen's.

If you're already in the area, don't forget the huge gun show in Oaks this weekend. I think you were deprived of them in NYS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast