Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lycoming County)

Default Taurus 608 357 Magnum

Hello everybody,

I'm interested in purchasing a Taurus 608 six inches in 357 Magnum as a cheaper alternative to a Smith & Wesson 686. I want your opinion or feel free to share yours if any of you had any experience with this particular weapon. I like the look of this Brazilian-made revolver and the design is pretty somewhat similar to that of a SW 686...

Your responses will be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

(York County)

Default Re: Taurus 608 357 Magnum

Well I've owned one for a number of years.

Pros: nice solid design with 8 shot cylinder so you can do double taps with real effect. The trigger pull has always been decent in both SA and DA modes. Mine has been utterly reliable.

Cons: Its very heavy since its built on a full .44 magnum frame and bore line sits high. The porting system doesn't work all that great and after a few dozen rounds starts to cover the front sight with residue and in spite of being a heavy gun you get a fair amount of muzzle flip with full house loads.

(Lycoming County)

Ecclectic, thank you for your reply... That better convinces me to buy one lol. I like heavy guns. The heavier the gun, the less the recoil...

Yes it's heavy, yes the sights get dirty. It's also a nice .357. I don't want a light .357 and I always carry a rag to wipe the gun down with.
    Just clean and lube it before you take it out.

(Montgomery County)

Just want to suggest the idea of a GP100 as a cheaper alternative to a 686. They can be had lightly used in the $400-450 range quite often. Granted it's only a 6 shot cylinder, but there's plenty of steel to absorb recoil.