Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Fulton County)

Default Pennsylvania LTCF and Florida

Hello everyone, I'm about to take a 1 week vacation in the Florida Keys, and I had a few questions. I have a PA LTCF, and would like to take my snub nose .38 with me, as I have to pass through Homestead, and didn't exactly feel safe last year. Does Florida still recognize PA's license? If anyone can point me in the right direction for sources, I would appreciate it.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Pennsylvania LTCF and Florida

The reciprocity agreement:

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploa...florida_pa.pdf

Summary of Florida firearm laws:

http://handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

Florida only recognizes resident licenses so you need to be a PA resident to carry with a PA LTCF.

(Fulton County)

Thumbs up Re: Pennsylvania LTCF and Florida

Thank you for giving me the resources that I need phil. Just to clarify one more thing. If I get pulled over by the police in Florida, do I have to inform the police that I am carrying a firearm? I've read the duty to inform part in your sources, but I just want to double check with you guys, and make sure that I wasn't misinterpreting anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin2012 View Post
    Thank you for giving me the resources that I need phil. Just to clarify one more thing. If I get pulled over by the police in Florida, do I have to inform the police that I am carrying a firearm? I've read the duty to inform part in your sources, but I just want to double check with you guys, and make sure that I wasn't misinterpreting anything.
    No. This site is a great resource.

http://handgunlaw.us
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Delaware County)

I am in Florida now and carried today on my PA LTCF. It is not a must inform state. There is no open carry and while it is not illegal for your weapon to show briefly ie...you were reaching for something off a shelf..., "Printing" is VERY much frowned upon.
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

(Tioga County)

You mention Homestead:

My airline dorked me over on not putting my bag on the plane so I made the mistake of going to the Homestead Wal Mart at midnight to grab some toiletries and a few clothes. At least 5 cops were on duty as well as security people and it's the first Wal mart I've been in that I felt if I went down the wrong aisle I'd get mugged. There was a distinct air of sketchiness.

Other than that if you stay on the main drags in town it did not look too bad, at least compared to some parts of Miami.

If you can carry, I would. Next time I go I'm dressing like Don Johnson with a Miami Galco holster and the appropriate firearm.

(Fulton County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    You mention Homestead:

My airline dorked me over on not putting my bag on the plane so I made the mistake of going to the Homestead Wal Mart at midnight to grab some toiletries and a few clothes. At least 5 cops were on duty as well as security people and it's the first Wal mart I've been in that I felt if I went down the wrong aisle I'd get mugged. There was a distinct air of sketchiness.

Other than that if you stay on the main drags in town it did not look too bad, at least compared to some parts of Miami.

If you can carry, I would. Next time I go I'm dressing like Don Johnson with a Miami Galco holster and the appropriate firearm.
    When I was in Homestead last year, a shady dude asked if I had any spare change. Tourists stand out like a sore thumb to the locals. I'm going armed this time.

(York County)

This is kind of a dead thread, but I searched for "carrying in FL" and this is what came up.

I'm headed down there for about a week at the end of February and plan to carry. I'm flying direct from Harrisburg to Sanford (Allegiant Air - super cheap!) and I'm locking my S&W M&P shield in a double-locking hard-sided case and securing it in my checked bag.

My dad's side of the family all lives in/around Sanford, and yes, in case you were wondering, that's where the whole Zimmerman/Trayvon thing happened. That's an anomaly: that whole area is a very middle/upper class suburb of Orlando, low crime rate, nice people. Doesn't change the fact that there are always criminals where you least expect them.

My aunt, uncle, and his wife (other aunt) all carry little .22 magnum revolvers in their pocket, you know the kind with no trigger guard and are about the size of half your hand? Those SOBs are a lot louder than you think! (The gun, not my family, we're all very reserved) Anyway, I'll be in friendly territory.