Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Weapons in school

So considering that a toy soldier or a pop tart can even run you afoul of the 'weapon in school' policy/law, does anyone have any ideas what you are lawfully allowed to bring into a school that can be used for self defense or even for a teacher to carry to fend off an assailant?

I searched the forums and found a lot of what wasn't allowed, but what can or do you carry that you think can be used in a defensive situation?

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Weapons in school

ink pens an pencils make great stabbing weapons but suck against a firearm ,a book bag could be used to do a "beat down ' but see above against a firearm .other than that people are screwed

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by 90volts View Post
    So considering that a toy soldier or a pop tart can even run you afoul of the 'weapon in school' policy/law, does anyone have any ideas what you are lawfully allowed to bring into a school that can be used for self defense or even for a teacher to carry to fend off an assailant?

I searched the forums and found a lot of what wasn't allowed, but what can or do you carry that you think can be used in a defensive situation?
    For defense, I opted for a carbon nanotube panel from ar500armor. It's 11"x14" and fits in the laptop area along with the laptop. This one won't withstand a rifle round but will handle most handgun rounds. I tried a steel plate but grew tired (pardon the pun) of lugging around the extra weight.

http://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-armo...ack-armor.html

It's not perfect but maybe it would allow me to save someone else along with myself.

If you're in a "high probability area" you could look into a concealable vest.
    http://www.bulletproofme.com

Google "keychain self defence weapons" and you will find many common options. However, many of these are easily recognized as weapons so they could get a teacher in trouble.

There are other options for the office environment that don't draw as much scrutiny.

scissors
    letter openers
    heavy key set with monkey fist
    Smith & Wesson Tactical Pen (it's an aluminum spike)
    Screw driver
    Autographed/souvenier baseball bat

(Lancaster County)

Roll of quarters. A baseball bat for your softball league. A cane for when your sciatica flares up. A credit card takes practice. Pens are the most practical. Good heavy length of rope with a nice big knot, monkey fist. A yard stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    Roll of quarters. A baseball bat for your softball league. A cane for when your sciatica flares up. A credit card takes practice. Pens are the most practical. Good heavy length of rope with a nice big knot, monkey fist. A yard stick.
    Do they make these in a 2x4 version?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    Do they make these in a 2x4 version?
    Lol no but it stings something awful

How about the broken metal leg from a student desk or chair that just never seems to make it into the trash?

When I was a kid each classroom had an oak flag pole. They were two piece poles with a heavy brass ferrule. Each half was approx 3 feet long. If I was a teacher my patriotic side may just feel the need to buy a spare flag pole and leave in the closet in case the school provided version "stopped working".

(Montgomery County)

http://www.pentel.com/store/graph-ge...rafting-pencil

These mechanical pencils would be fearsome. I always expect a TSA agent to take it from me when I travel but they never do. Always too busy taking someone's nail clippers or 12 oz bottle of Evian.

It has a very long metal points that could so serious "ice pick" level damage. The body is a pretty heavy plastic. Not actually mightier than a sword but still pretty good, and its only about $6

(Delaware County)

Well, i am not a teacher, though i am in school often enough as a volunteer reader etc. I was reading an old thread where a teacher was asking if firearms would ever be legal in schools. ironically it was a thread from 1/12, 11 months before sandy hook.

anyway, i was wondering in the unlikely event that i happen to be on school grounds when something goes down i would like to be prepared. either in the classroom or on the field to watch a game etc. i couldn't think of much anything that i could have on me that would not be considered a weapon, and that i could have some type of reason to be carrying, that i could use as a weapon. I know the whole "improvise, adapt and overcome" thing is probably what would need to be done. but it still kept me wondering what might be useful to carry if possible. i was thinking maybe a thrown weapon. nothing with a blade would be acceptable so i was thinking maybe a couple old steelies marbles or something like that? something that may potentially cause some pain, but mostly distract for the few seconds necessary to close the distance between you and them.

still thinking.

some great ideas though. i like the laptop casing. i also work where firearms/weapons are not allowed on the company property. but fortunately i have tools available such as a linemans blad, ****s, etc. better than nothing.

thanks for the ideas so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast