Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Post State Park Question

What is the policy on carrying with a valid LTCF in Pennsylvania State Parks, specifically Ricketts Glen?

Please link to the legal reference if possible, thanks!

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: State Park Question

State Parks are off-limits per regulation. You may keep the firearm in your vehicle though, but may not carry on your person outside of the vehicle.

If I remember correctly, violation can result in a summary offense.

I am presently at work and dont have access to the references. However, state parks are off-limits. (or you can just carry concealed, and no-one would know).

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...nsylvania.html
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Indiana County)

17 Pa. Code § 11.215. Weapons and hunting.

The following activities are prohibited without written permission of the Department:
    (1) Hunting, pursuing or intentionally disturbing woodchucks, also known as groundhogs. Paragraph (2) does not apply to this activity.
    (2) Hunting, pursuing or intentionally disturbing wildlife unless:
    (i) The person engaging in the activity is licensed by the Game Commission to hunt and is engaged in hunting in accordance with the Game and Wildlife Code.
    (ii) The activity takes place in an area designated by the Department for hunting. At Presque Isle State Park, waterfowl hunting may take place only from a facility designated by the Department as a waterfowl blind, and shooting shall be directed away from State park land and over the adjacent waters.
    (iii) The activity takes place during hunting season as established by the Game Commission.
    (iv) The firearm, archery equipment or other device used for this activity is lawful for hunting under the Game and Wildlife Code. A device operated by air, chemical or gas cylinder by which a projectile can be discharged or propelled is not lawful for hunting under the Game and Wildlife Code.
    (3) Using a device, including a firearm, archery equipment or slingshot, that is capable of discharging or propelling a projectile, except as provided in paragraph (2) or (7).
    (4) Possessing an uncased device, or uncasing a device, including a firearm, archery equipment or slingshot, that is capable of discharging or propelling a projectile, except as provided in paragraph (2) or (7), or except in the owner’s building on a leased campsite, in the owner’s residence, or in the owner’s vehicle or trailer.
    (5) Failing to keep a device, including a firearm, archery equipment or slingshot, that is capable of discharging or propelling a projectile, in the owner’s building on a leased campsite, in the owner’s residence or in the owner’s vehicle or trailer. This prohibition does not apply to either of the following:
    (i) A person licensed by the Game Commission to hunt, and in possession of a device that is lawful for hunting under the Game and Wildlife Code, during hunting season as established by the Game Commission, in a State park open for hunting.
    (ii) A person engaged in target-shooting under paragraph (7).
    (6) The trapping of wildlife. This prohibition does not apply to a person licensed by the Game Commission to engage in trapping, during trapping season as established by the Game Commission, in an area designated by the Department for hunting.
    (7) Target-shooting with a device, including a firearm, archery equipment or slingshot, capable of discharging or propelling a projectile, except in an area designated by the Department for this purpose and in accordance with posted requirements and restrictions.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by theSaj View Post
    What is the policy on carrying with a valid LTCF in Pennsylvania State Parks, specifically Ricketts Glen?

Please link to the legal reference if possible, thanks!
    This is specifically for Ricketts Glen.The link at the end of the article should answer any other questions.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statePar...kettsglen.aspx

Hunting and Firearms: About 10,144 acres are open to hunting, trapping and the training of dogs during established seasons. Common game species are deer, turkey, grouse, bear, coyote, pheasant and squirrel. Common furbearers are raccoon, mink, muskrat, beaver, coyote and bobcat. About 83,000 acres of state game lands lie to the west and north of the park.
    Hunting woodchucks, also known as groundhogs, is prohibited. Dog training is only permitted from the day following Labor Day through March 31 in designated hunting areas. The Department of Conservation and Natural Resources and the Pennsylvania Game Commission rules and regulations apply. Contact the park office for accessible hunting information.
    Use extreme caution with firearms at all times. Other visitors use the park during hunting seasons. Firearms and archery equipment may be uncased and ready for use only in authorized hunting areas during hunting seasons. In areas not open to hunting or during non-hunting seasons, firearms and archery equipment shall be kept in the owner's car, trailer or camp.
    For complete information on hunting rules and regulations in Pennsylvania, visit the Pennsylvania Game Commission Web site.

Dig around long enough on that site and you may find this.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...&q=151119#2525

Sec. 2525. Amended November 29, 2006, Act No. 162, Effective January 28, 2007.
    Sec. 2525. Possession of firearm for protection of self or others.
    (a) General rule.- It is lawful for a law enforcement officer or any person who possesses a valid license to carry a firearm issued under 18 Pa C.S. Section 6109 (relating to licenses) to be in possession of a loaded or unloaded firearm while engaged in any activity regulated by this title.
    (b) Construction.
    • (1) This section shall supersede any prohibition on the possession of firearms or ammunition contained in any other provision of this title. (2) This subsection shall not be construed to permit the hunting or harvesting of any wildlife with a firearm or ammunition not otherwise permitted by this title.
    Last edited by str8shooter; June 3rd, 2008 at 10:47 AM.

(York County)

Question Re: State Park Question

Statkowski's comment was along the lines of my thinking. (As for carrying concealed, rather not do so illegally, as if I printed or accidentally showed - well, that'd be a suckage.)

However Str8tshooter's post now brings this into more of a question.

(a) General rule.- It is lawful for a law enforcement officer or any person who possesses a valid license to carry a firearm issued under 18 Pa C.S. Section 6109 (relating to licenses) to be in possession of a loaded or unloaded firearm while engaged in any activity regulated by this title.
    (b) Construction.

* (1) This section shall supersede any prohibition on the possession of firearms or ammunition contained in any other provision of this title. (2) This subsection shall not be construed to permit the hunting or harvesting of any wildlife with a firearm or ammunition not otherwise permitted by this title.

So is this construed to mean that if a carrier has a LTCF they can carry in a state park? or only when engaged in hunting?

- Jason

(Chester County)

Statkowski's comment was along the lines of my thinking. (As for carrying concealed, rather not do so illegally, as if I printed or accidentally showed - well, that'd be a suckage.)

So is this construed to mean that if a carrier has a LTCF they can carry in a state park? or only when engaged in hunting?

- Jason
    Statkowski's post is from Title 17, STATE PARKS NATURAL AREAS—
    STATEMENT OF POLICY.

Mine is from the PGC - State Wildlife Management Agency. Laws and Regulation section. I don't know which has precedence, but they seem to be contradictory.

Before seeing Statkowski's post, it was my interpretation, that this section is independent of the rules with regard to hunting. The chapter is titled Protection of Person and Property, and as I read it, it is saying you may carry a firearm, concealed or not, if you are an officer of the law, or have a LTCF when on land under the PGC jurisdiction. It comes from Title 34, Chapter 25, section 2525.

Now I'm not so sure, and I wouldn't assume every PGC Officer knows the correct answer either.

In other words.... I like pie.

(Jefferson County)

(b) Construction.

* (1) This section shall supersede any prohibition on the possession of firearms or ammunition contained in any other provision of this title. (2) This subsection shall not be construed to permit the hunting or harvesting of any wildlife with a firearm or ammunition not otherwise permitted by this title.

- Jason
    Only while hunting, since thats the the act that is regulated by that title of law.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

(b) Construction.

- Jason
    The section you quote is the law WE wrote and got the law changed in 2006 to reign in the PGC abuse of over stepping its power to regulate firearm inconsistent with PA laws.

We are now currently trying to get the law fixed with state parks to address this same exact problem.

We Introduced at the April 2007 pro gun rally HB 1292 -Licenses, construction, Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, regulate the possession of firearms, further provided (Amend 18 Pa.C.S.)
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...type=B&BN=1292

We could not get it to a vote in house judiciary committee, so we had it added to HB1845 (do a PAFOA search) as an amendment which passed the house and is now tied in the senate judiciary committee waiting for a vote to take it to the full senate. We also have several other pro-gun amendments to this bill. Note the legislative clock is running out for this to get enacted into law before the Nov elections.

So if you want to help solve the problem with LTCF permits in state parks contact ALL senate judiciary committee members and urge them to pass HB 1845 out of committee for a full senate vote.