Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default proper 1 handed shooting technique

So over the past few months I have started studying proper handgun shooting technique. I have been using the weaver stance and grip and it has improved my accuracy and follow up shot time dramatically. We we (the family) have joined a .22 bullseye league and the rules state all shooting must be done 1 handed. So obviously there really isn't much you can do with the grip one handed since you can't use the off hand to steady the weapon. What about stance. It seems standing sideways so your arm is in a straight line with your shoulders may be right but I don't know. Any advice or references would be appreciated.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: proper 1 handed shooting technique

I cross my off-hand across my chest and put my fist against my opposite (shooting arm) shoulder. I push back against that shoulder (hard) while pushing forward with that shoulder against my fist. It not only helps me to establish a solid base for aiming, but also absorbs recoil surprisingly well.

For my feet, I square up, I don't put either foot behind the other as I believe it makes the base less solid.

I doubt the recoil will be an issue with a .22, but it's a solid technique for one handed shooting.

(Berks County)

Sideways is the classic. Clutch the non shooting hand in a fist and on the center of the chest. Works for me.

Since you mentioned Bullseye competion with a .22lr , then presumably somthing along the line of classical bullseye stance is probably what you are looking for.

Vastly oversipmlified , body comfortably bladed , probably +/- 135 deg from target ( aka halfway between square and perpendicular ). Off hand in pocket or tucked in belt. ( The off hand balled in front of torso originated with the FBI in 1930's , and still carries over into LE training , and PPC Matches).

(Bucks County)

Agree with BF44. The theory is when standing the body is constantly fine-motor-correcting for balance. Facing the target increases vertical separtion of POI. Standing perpendicular increases horizontal separation of POI. The half-turn stance halves everything.

The stance should be a natural point. Turn a half-turn from the target, close your eyes, and point the pistol. Open your eyes. If not pointed at the target, adjust stance with your feet without moving the arm until you are pointing at the target. This is your natural point relieved of any stress of correcting. Feet should be comfortably apart beneath the shoulders.

(Blair County)

Thanks, tried a couple different stances and the angled one seemed to work best. Let me tell you hitting a 6" target one handed at 50' with a .22 consistently is HARD. Even better one of the excercises requires shooting 5 rounds in 10 seconds....did I mention I'm using a SAO revolver?

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Trucker76 View Post
    Thanks, tried a couple different stances and the angled one seemed to work best. Let me tell you hitting a 6" target one handed at 50' with a .22 consistently is HARD. Even better one of the excercises requires shooting 5 rounds in 10 seconds....did I mention I'm using a SAO revolver?
    And probably everybody you're competing against is using a semi auto, right? You're a braver man than I am, Gunga Din. I have a Ruger MKIII Target that I have set up to use for my bull's-eye shooting, but unlike you I have not joined a league. Someday i'll feel competent enough to give it a try.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html

Hard yes , but you are mainlining Marksmanship Fundamentals, and building your skills with sight alignment and trigger control.

Up thru the 1950's or so 2700 competion was the reason d'tret for K22's , K38's , Officers Model Match , etc

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoGeezer View Post
    And probably everybody you're competing against is using a semi auto, right? You're a braver man than I am, Gunga Din. I have a Ruger MKIII Target that I have set up to use for my bull's-eye shooting, but unlike you I have not joined a league. Someday i'll feel competent enough to give it a try.
    Actually one of the guys that works at the range is using a SAO revolver too. But he is a cowboy action shooter so it's normal for him. I can't use my daughters sr22 because she will be shooting at the same time as me. It's ok though, they are opening a centerfire bullseye league as well and that one I have covered

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Sideways is the classic. Clutch the non shooting hand in a fist and on the center of the chest. Works for me.
    Sounds like a movie!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast