Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Monroe county is useless: LTCF

I am up for renewal and still pissed of about the whole 1% income tax form for proof of residency... But that's not the purpose of this rant. I dropped off my application. They even accepted my printed Berkhimer form since we do it online now.

I received my post card yesterday and went to the courthouse to get my card. I get there and there is a sign in red marker... On the door saying the carry permit system is down... So after I drag my wife and 6 month old son to the courthouse before the sherif's office closed at 4:30 I find out I can't get a card I shouldn't need in the first place!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Monroe county is useless: LTCF

Quote Originally Posted by reichebrown View Post

I received my post card yesterday and went to the courthouse to get my card. I get there and there is a sign in red marker... On the door saying the carry permit system is down... So after I drag my wife and 6 month old son to the courthouse before the sherif's office closed at 4:30 I find out I can't get a card I shouldn't need in the first place!

Did you go in? I would assume the postcard would mean it was ready to be picked up and it wouldn't matter that the system was "down"?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Did you go in? I would assume the postcard would mean it was ready to be picked up and it wouldn't matter that the system was "down"?
    I was just told the same thing in Philadelphia. I guess they don't actually issue the license until you are there. I don't know if all counties do that. Philadelphia definitely does because they take your picture when you go to pick up and use that on the license.

(Monroe County)

Sorry to hear that, it took them 14 days from drop off to send me a pick up postcard, went down the day of a bad snow storm got my LTCF in about 15 minutes and they never sent out any reference cards. I guess it's all hit and miss there.

Just saw the above post, I took my picture and I believe signed the signature thingy when I dropped off my application. All I did was pay the remainder of my fee and they printed it out and handed it to me.

(Indiana County)

Here you go. Print it out, put it in the mail.

The Honorable Mario Scavello
    2989 Route 611, Suite 3
    DePue Plaza
    Tannersville, PA 18372

Dear Representative Scavello,

Just like over 800,000 fellow Pennsylvanians, I possess a License to Carry Firearms. And, just like everyone else, I have to renew my license every five years. Unfortunately, as a resident of Monroe County, I have to make the trek all the way to Stroudsburg to renew my license, not once like most counties within the Commonwealth, but twice – the first time to physically present the necessary application, and the second time to pick up the renewed license.

18 Pa. C.S. § 6109, Licenses, specifically subsection (c), states, “The application for a license to carry a firearm shall be uniform throughout this Commonwealth and shall be on a form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police.” My question is: Does the term “application” refer to the actual paper document, or to the whole process? The application process, whether for initial license or for renewal, is most definitely not uniform statewide.

Most County Sheriffs require, as proof of residency, a state-issued driver's license or I.D. Card (either of which show the physical location of your residence). If it's good enough for PennDOT, it should be good enough for Monroe County's Sheriff Todd Martin, but it isn't.

Here's what the Monroe County Sheriff requires in excess of that required by State Law:
    Photocopy of Local 1% Earned Income Tax or other tax paper if retired/disabled.
    2 References which must be Monroe County residents.
    If disabled - Written documentation from your doctor or social security explaining the nature of your disability.
    Copy of your DD-214 if you were in the military.

Communicating with other firearms owners throughout Pennsylvania, I have discovered that in most other counties, all that is required is the actual application plus proof of residency. Why are not the procedures uniform throughout Pennsylvania? Some counties issue the renewal license on the spot, the same time the application is submitted, while others mail the renewed license to the licensee's mailing address. But not Sheriff Martin. Why?

Many years ago the State Legislature deemed that firearms laws should be uniform throughout the Commonwealth. Why, then, are the licensing procedures not uniform? What can be done to resolve this issue?

Your assistance would be appreciated.

Sincerely yours,
    I punched in Monroe County and Representative Scavello's name popped up. If yours is different, amend accordingly.

(Luzerne County)

Monroe County is ridiculous. I'm doing a firearm safety-education-laws-LTCF talk at our next quarterly town meeting. One of the things I'll be talking about is the application process for getting a LTCF and the insane things that Monroe County and Philly is making the citizens do.

(Monroe County)

They took my picture and my signature when I dropped off my application. I did go into the office and they said the system was down and they could no print any cards. I think the whole poof of residency comes back to the back woods yocals thinking the transplants are destroying the county. As a result they have created rules (ileagal ones) that discourage people from getting their LTCF.

When I initially wanted to get mine I had to wait a year and a half because I lived in Northampton county for a year. I'm a teacher and lived in the town I worked before moving back into monroe. I'm 30 and have lived in monroe for 29 of those years by because I lived in Northampton for a school year it jacked up my taxes and I had to wait until I had a full tax year in monroe. I hate our sherif. He's a Moron.

(Monroe County)

I got my new card today, but I made sure to call first to see if the system was working. It was working and I am now the proud owner of a renewed LTCF that looks like it was made with a crappy printer half out of ink and a POS laminating machine.... Gotta love it. I doubt this thing will last the five years it needs to. I hope it doesn't get wet.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by reichebrown View Post
    They took my picture and my signature when I dropped off my application. I did go into the office and they said the system was down and they could no print any cards. I think the whole poof of residency comes back to the back woods yocals thinking the transplants are destroying the county. As a result they have created rules (ileagal ones) that discourage people from getting their LTCF.

When I initially wanted to get mine I had to wait a year and a half because I lived in Northampton county for a year. I'm a teacher and lived in the town I worked before moving back into monroe. I'm 30 and have lived in monroe for 29 of those years by because I lived in Northampton for a school year it jacked up my taxes and I had to wait until I had a full tax year in monroe. I hate our sherif. He's a Moron.
    Then why didn't you get your LTCF when you lived in Northampton County? And it probably has something to do with the large transient population we once had, and the fact Rt. 80 runs through Monroe.
    “When a man cannot chose, he ceases to be a man.”

(Indiana County)

Did you send a letter of complaint to your elected representative in Harrisburg?

Bitching about it here is one thing, letting the people in Harrisburg know about it is something else.