Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lebanon County)

Default YAHOOOOOOO ! ! ! (334)--with pics

I was estatic. With my adrenalin pumping my trifocals are lying in a dairyfarm field. I will look for them tomorrow.

Late this afternoon I broke the 300 yard sound barrier. I watched 2 chucks together for at least 45 minutes. Head up, head down etc, etc, etc.

Finally one took a stroll away from the hole. Now I can see all of him. He started back to his hole and stopped just short. I can't believe how steady my hold was. Give the trigger a YANK and you could tell he was hit. The FAREWELL TAIL WAGGLE. I paced off 334 yards.

I had no idea the farmer was watching me. The farmer came over on his tractor ; "I saw you shoot. What the hell were you doing walking over to the hill without your gun" Mr. Joe I was pacing off the hit on the chuck. "Get the hell outta' here, that gun won't reach that hill". I need a favor, would you pace the distance off with me. He did and he got 341 yards. I will take 334. He also said, "if I didn't see the $%*** shot, I woulda' never believed your sorry A**.

Now I know the .204 on chucks will be a nasty 400 yarder.

Braggin' ???? Maybe, but this old coot is just plain___________, you finish the sentence.
    fossil

A few pictures. In one you can see the entry near his ear. On the ground is my new best friend. Mini 7 X 15 25mm Bushnell binos. I never crank them up to 15X, they stay at 7X. These binoculars are a part of me. Not the best, but easy to focus, light and the clarity is much more than 25mm.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ImAfossil; July 19th, 2012 at 09:30 PM. Reason: fix
    Do the eyes go first ?????? MAYBE NOT !

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: YAHOOOOOOO ! ! ! (334)

Quote Originally Posted by ImAfossil View Post
    I was estatic. With my adrenalin pumping my trifocals are lying in a dairyfarm field. I will look for them tomorrow.

Late this afternoon I broke the 300 yard sound barrier. I watched 2 chucks together for at least 45 minutes. Head up, head down etc, etc, etc.

Finally one took a stroll away from the hole. Now I can see all of him. He started back to his hole and stopped just short. I can't believe how steady my hold was. Give the trigger a YANK and you could tell he was hit. The FAREWELL TAIL WAGGLE. I paced off 334 yards.

I had no idea the farmer was watching me. The farmer came over on his tractor ; "I saw you shoot. What the hell were you doing walking over to the hill without your gun" Mr. Joe I was pacing off the hit on the chuck. "Get the hell outta' here, that gun won't reach that hill". I need a favor, would you pace the distance off with me. He did and he got 341 yards. I will take 334. He also said, "if I didn't see the $%*** shot, I woulda' never believed your sorry A**.

Braggin' ???? Maybe, but this old coot is just plain___________, you finsih the sentence.
    fossil

A few pictures. In one you can see the entry near his ear. On the ground is my new best friend. Mini 7 X 15 25mm Bushnell binos. I never crank them up to 15X, they stay at 7X. These binoculars are a part of me. Not the best, but easy to focus, light and the clarity is much more than 25mm.

Maybe, but this old coot is just plain__THE MAN_________, you finsih the sentence.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: YAHOOOOOOO ! ! ! (334)--with pics

That's a good way off. Nice shot!

(Fayette County)

Way to go.... nice shot !!

You described your binoculars, but I couldn't tell what type of scope you are using on the rifle. What magnification was the rifle scope? I know it's only a small part of the equation, but I am curious what kind of scope you use/recommend.

Nice shooting

(Monroe County)

I agree with you Bushnell makes some fantastic mini binos, i have a 16x x25 and it is clearer than my Nikon 8x40 .

Oh yeah that .204 is an awesome round, 33 grain bullet moving at 4000 fps, wow.

(Lebanon County)

Marlin:

I wanted to put as 4 X 16 50mm on the H&R. I have two of them, but I ran into hammer & focus adjustment problems. Focus with low mounts hit the barrel and because of the vari power adjustment, the hammer would not cock.
    It hit the scope. I did not want to go with medium mounts.

I dropped back to a 30 + year old favorite of mine. Everything cleared.. The scope is a Bushnell Banner 4 X 12 40mm. I believe 30 years ago this was considered a good (not great) scope. It has fine crosshairs and me not being a tradionalist, it is a GREAT SCOPE. I believe this was my first scope that passed the 3 X 9 standard hunting mount.

I have a fixed 25X Unertyl. This scope has limitations. One of them ; on a really bright day looking down that tube and the shimmer you get, could cause sea sickness or something akin to it. Years ago I was using it as a spotting scope, on a .270, and I almost hit BARFSVILLE U.S.A.------The world started to spin. I had a true grass grabber so that I was not flung off of our planet.

Me and the Bushnell get along just fine. On various guns it probably has 2000 rounds on that scope.

What is the right scope for you ???? It is your call---research, research and more research. You just might run into the scope that is you. I did it with my 4 X 12, a long time ago.
    fossil
    Last edited by ImAfossil; July 20th, 2012 at 09:12 AM.
    Do the eyes go first ?????? MAYBE NOT !

(Beaver County)

Braggin' ???? Maybe, but this old coot is just plain___fantastic________, you finish the sentence.
    fossil

Great shooting !Good pictures too as always.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Fayette County)

Hey Fossil,

Thanks for that info... I was actually quite curious. My eyes are not that great; so high-powered scopes are my ticket to success.

Interesting that the 30 year old scope did the job. I keep hearing good things about the Bushnell Banner, and your endorsement adds more to it. I'm thinking the Banner was one of those under-rated scopes when it first came out... people think of it as a solid, decent scope. But now, people seem enthralled or ecstatic with it... perhaps it boils down to reliability and dependability.

The world started to spin. I had a true grass grabber so that I was not flung off of our planet.
    Lol... haha... glad you're still on this planet.

What is the right scope for you ???? It is your call---research, research and more research. You just might run into the scope that is you. I did it with my 4 X 12, a long time ago.
    fossil
    I'm still learning about scopes. I've looked through some nicer ones but was not happy. For starters, I went with a Barska. Yes, I know... some people don't consider it to be low quality, but so far, I am very impressed with its clarity at 20X. As I mentioned earlier, I need every advantage I can get. I will keep shooting the Barska, and see how my opinion develops. But I'll keep your advice in mind.

Happy hunting,
    Marlin