Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default Re: Groundhog Hunting

I'm surprised at the numbers you guys are getting. Seems really low to me. We've gone out and got that many in a day for the group. I use a Marlin .22 with open sights. Like Holleta said horses and hog holes don't mix, and I have 130+ acres to clear.

(Blair County)

Mosin makes hoggin fun. We just make sure its the upper field so there is alot of dirt to catch our misses

(Centre County)

Thumbs up Re: Groundhog Hunting

Ahhhh hog killing, one of my favorite pass times. I have used just about every caliber there is to off em. Usually I use a .22lr. The .22-250 though was my favorite until I sold it. Lately though my steup has been long range shots (over 150 yds) goes to the 7mm magnum or .22 magnum and everything else goes to the .22lr. Hell, evey once in a while I take my 1911 out for them. Great fun!!

(Adams County)

Here are my Potential Hog killers. I say potential because none have actually killed a hog yet, or anything for that matter. I just got all three of them in the past year.

(Lebanon County)

Well.....I know it's overkill, but I use my .270 Remington 700. It's good practice, and I don't have a dedicated varmint rifle.

I also jump shoot them with my 12 gauge. I took three of them last year like that.

I do love groundhog hunting, since it's not trophy hunting, and it helps out the farmers. Unfortunately, I'm only home a few weeks each year since I'm in the military.

(Lehigh County)

When I purchased my farm in 1986, my property and all the surrounding property was over run with hogs. A friend and I hunted the properties each summer. My favorite area was called "Hog Alley". When the farmer cut his hay during the last week in May, it was like pop up targets. Engagement distances were from 100 yards to slightly over 300.

I have a Ruger Varmint Special in .243 and he has a British Enfield chambered to 300 Weatherby and a few years ago rechambered it to the Remington Ultra. It is a very heavy rifle so we used in from a bench and shoot out from 400-550 yards, measured. We have never wounded a hog with his rifle. The slightest nick on the body kills. He shoots 190 grain circa 33-3400 fps with a 30 inch, heavy, no contour Douglas barrel.

We haven't shot in a few years now. Recently one of my neighbors died and the land was purchased by somebody who will not allow hunting. 140 acres going to waste and the hog population is growing.

I love shooting Woodchucks with my Savage .17HMR. I also have a .223 and a .204 I can use on them. Stray dogs have killed a lot of ours off, so I limit my shooting time on the little guys.

I'd love to do some groundhog hunting but I'm not all that familiar with all the regulations regarding hunting out here. I live out here for school but I grew up in Idaho and if we saw some groundhogs we shot them.

I live in the King of Prussia area of Montgomery county so if I understand everything correctly the regulations are as follows:

1. No closed season except deer season and AM of turkey season.

2. Manual or Auto shotgun 3 shells or fewer and manually operated rifle or handgun with no caliber restriction if you're out for groundhog. (So does this mean you actually can't use a semi-auto handgun such as a 1911?) But since Montgomery county is in a special regulation area if you're using a rifle or handgun it must be manually operated and .22 caliber or less rimfire.

3. Hunter's orange cap.

I think that is everything I pulled out of the hunting digest. So is there anything I'm missing. I seem to recall a distance requirement from structures but I must have overlooked it if it's in the digest.

Assuming I meet all these requirements does anyone know any good places to go within a reasonable drive of King of Prussia?

Thanks for any help.

(Franklin County)

Anyone on here getting as excited for this years season. It will be the best. It'll be the first time I've really been home for about 3yrs. I'm just looking forward to it so much lol Hopefully I'll get my wife into it. By the way a buddy of mine is selling me a mini 14 for $200 before he heads back to Illisnois from Ft. Riley. I think that is going to be my main gun for walking on the farm...

(Luzerne County)

I always look forward to spring and the ground hogs!! Problem is, I have been to efficient it seems as I have been seeing less and less each year. If i get to bored with the amount seen I will "offer" my services to the surrounding farmers.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast