Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Groundhog Hunting

The purchase of my savage axis 223 has finally paid off. Nailed this beefy guy this morning half hour before the thunderstorm came in, at 100 yards with in 3 mins of sitting down.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Westmoreland County)

What kind of ammo is good on groundhogs in a 1 in 7 twist .223?
    Last edited by Wasz; August 26th, 2011 at 02:49 AM.

(Monroe County)

Run either the 55gr or 40gr Hornady VMax. Good stuff and very accurate.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by rovert97 View Post
    The purchase of my savage axis 223 has finally paid off. Nailed this beefy guy this morning half hour before the thunderstorm came in, at 100 yards with in 3 mins of sitting down.

Congrats! Looks like a good one.
    "Cause remember: no matter where you go.....there you are" ---Buckaroo Banzai

(Washington County)

Nice! Your patience paid off.
    The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held his ground.

(Lancaster County)

I groundhog hunt all the time its my favorite as theres no limit,and I love shooting long range.Out to 305 yards with my Savage .17 HMR and 500+ yards with my worked over Marlin XL7.
    I live in Manheim Pa and there is an unending supply of farmers more than willing to allow you to hunt their farms.
    I have Scope dopes on both my Varmint rifles and a cosine chart for degree conversions. As you can tell I take it pretty seriously.I have 7 farms that I have permission to hunt.One Ive completely cleared as far as the farmer can tell as he hasn't seen a hog in weeks.I concentrated on that farm all of spring and late into june. Ive bounce from one farm to the next especially when I use the .243 as its load and I have over 39 kills on the first farm.Oh and a picture for everyone except a few when I forgot my phone. Another advantage is that some of the farmers appreciate your efforts enough to give you permission to hunt Deer on their land.
    I'll see if I can post some pic,Im not sure how to do it but I'll try. Good luck and safe hunting.The one picture with the several hogs was a single shot AR in .223 because I had remove the gas key so I had to manually cycle the bolt after each shot. Theres a lot more photos but it limited me to 5 thank everyone.
    If your looking for some suggestions or advice PM Ive been doing this for a long time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bucks_Man View Post
    Congrats! Looks like a good one.
    How do you like the trigger on the Axis,I have one and the trigger pull is over 4.5lbs

(Monroe County)

Time to revive this thread.

Been out all week in the water gap fields. Haven't seen any groundhogs out except for the two roadkills I seen. Anyone else out in the fields looking for ground grizzlies? Enjoying the weather as much as I can right now. Nothing like a mid day nap in a field.

(Cumberland County)

Time to revive this thread.

Been out all week in the water gap fields. Haven't seen any groundhogs out except for the two roadkills I seen. Anyone else out in the fields looking for ground grizzlies? Enjoying the weather as much as I can right now. Nothing like a mid day nap in a field.
    Farmer where I hunt has called. Says they are out throwing dirt out of holes when it gets warm around mid-day. I just finished loading the Jeep (folding stool, shooting sticks, range finder, binocs, water, some granola bars, rifle, slip case of 20 extra rounds), put on some camos, about to head out and see if I can mess up the the little furry excavators projects and make the farmer happy. I got 27 in that same field last year. It was freshly seeded alfalfa.

Where he's seen them the longest shot will be around 160 yards so I have the CZ Hornet loaded with 34g DogTown hollow points set out to barely fit in the magazine pushed by a max charge of Lil'gun. Those bullets are inexpensive but they have fantastic terminal performance in hogs. They shoot holes touching at 100 yards which is plenty good enough.

I can't believe the weather. Have a sneaking feeling that we will see at least one more snow. Be ok with me if we don't!

Fitch

(Lancaster County)

Now is there one single good reason I shouldn't be able to hunt groundhogs with my .223 rifle of choice?
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast