Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Default Re: Groundhog Hunting

I used to live on a farm and have friends who also own farms. You can always ask, some people are funny about letting people hunt for deer and turkeys, but usually groundhogs are an all you can shoot venue.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

Ian, seems to me part of the solution to your questions is just get out there and do it. Yes, drive around, find a farm, drive up the lane and knock on the door. I would not anticipate hunting the same day but do as a recon of places. Leave a note on the door if no one answers. I find asking permission for hogs over time will allow you access for other game as well, not a promise but more often than not, it happens. Always be respectful. Don't go up on full camo clothing. Dress decent but not business casual, they'll think you're a saleman for equipment or seed or something...LOL

Its be to get written permission too. Ask about what fields, where live stock are located so you don't have a wild shot etc...what gates are to be closed or left open. Ask him if you see any trash, can's, plastic bags, etc...if he would mind if you pick it up...Show respect, get respect and a place to hunt. Also, it never hurts to send Christmas cards, or other offering. If you get the chance to hunt squirrels or rabbits, always stop by at the end of the day and offer one of the game animals out of thanks, ie respect.

Don't leave any trash, leave the farm as you found it.

As for hunting hogs, they are also called Whistle Pigs. Why? Because hogs are curious by nature and if you spook one, whistle softly, they have a usually stop, stand up, and try to figure out what that noise was. Great time to shoot em so be ready.

Walk field edges, crop rows, hedges etc..and identify hog holes. Set up a plan of action and check your background so you are safe incase of a wild shot or bad shot. Hunting takes work. Its not a video game but it rewarding if done right. Be safe, have fun, and enjoy your time afield.

CL

(Washington County)

me and by buddy from work are gonna try going to some game lands.

I wish there were more farms around, seems like all the ones I know of have a group of guys that already keep the varmints in check.

Anyone in SW PA wanna share the love?

Thanks for the words, customloaded, I'll definitely be talking to some of the local farmers.

Quote Originally Posted by ian mofoker View Post
    So it seems the consensus is to go to a farm and hunt them. How do you go about finding these farms? Do you just google for farms and call them up and ask them? Do you just walk up to them during the day and hope they'll let you do it right then? Do you know people? Please share... thanks!
    Ian
    Take a drive thru the farm country in your area and look for the game commission signs the farmers post, usally near the house or barn. This will help to let you know they are more accepting to being asked to hunt. Once you start working an area, you'll find that it can lead to more farms in the area. I have six different farms that I work which keeps me busy 1 to 2 afternoons a week after work, and a full day on Saturdays, if I'm avoiding the honeydo list. This has let me put 98 of them this year in the tally book that I keep, to track how many I get on each farm. Keep in mind, the farms need to be ones that have hay fields that they work, or you will have a hard time spotting the hogs.

(Monroe County)

Ive fond a few spots finally to hunt. A lot of driving and knocking. Most of the game coop properties I've went to didnt even know what I was talking about when I asked them if I was at the right spot. Some places didn't even have the signage. Of course now that I've found the places to go, I can't find any groundhogs on the farms, no holes, nothing. Oh well. I'll keep trying but I sure am burning up alot of gas in the process.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

I've only done 40 yard shots. Droped 2 of em in the last year.
    20 cal air rifle. Next door guy came out when he saw me and the shovel. He never heard the shot.
    I talk jibberoush. pay attention.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by justsayno View Post

I've only done 40 yard shots. Droped 2 of em in the last year.
    20 cal air rifle. Next door guy came out when he saw me and the shovel. He never heard the shot.
    Are you hunting in PA with that air rifle?
    Hoplophobia is funny

no. . . ....
    I talk jibberoush. pay attention.

(Monroe County)

Well I finally nailed one. Although I don't think it counts seeing as how it was in the road and I creamed it with the F150. Oh well. Eventally I will get one with a 55gr V-Max.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast