Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default Re: Groundhog Hunting

I used to go hunting with my dad but haven't gone in many years.

I've been thinking of starting up again for something to do and to get some exercise.

I just wish we could use semi-autos. I'd like to try it with my 10/22, my M1 Carbine, my Garand (might be a bit overkill, lol), or my soon to be completed AR15.

Although I do have plenty of other rifles I can use.

My dad and my 1 uncle love to hunt groundhogs.

(Columbia County)

THE TOAD STRIKES AGAIN lol, went out for the first time satrday with my dad and uncle. At first we didnt see anything then my uncle say hog waaayyy out and he wasnt kidding over 650yds he had my 17hmr so he was just a lil out of his range lol. My dad let a warning/ranging shot rip 50 feet short my turn 10 feet short him 5 feet me 6" him over shot i almost got his foot on the next one, again my dad shoots over. I gave up due to the fact of i only brought 5 shots and put one in the ear of a decent hog at 416yds with my 223 after 7 shots my dad gave up on the way out yonder hog. We moved and i whacked one at 250 and my uncle got one at the same hole as mine with the 17 i was impressed then my dad hit one down the fence a lil farther with his 204 ruger 4 hogs with 13 shots my dad missed two more at 100yds and i missed with the 204 at around 300yds

All in all we had a blast and next weekend im gonna nail that long shot, btw i made both of mine headshots the only ones that count lol

And I know more people on here chase these pests so nring on the stories

TOAD OUT
    ZRT: SECTOR 3(SNIPER) Among othe tasks...

(York County)

My pops and I have been hitting them pretty hard this year. I've got 30 and he has 32. So far my farthest shot has been 370 yards and his was 480 yards. I'm in the middle of a 6 dasher build for next year's hog hunts which should be a terror on them. Recently we started getting into the ground hog competitions, seeing some of those set ups are quite impressive but its pretty funny when you are referred to as the 'real groundhog hunters' at a groundhog shoot.

Here's my set up, I've had some road bumps, tweaking the load here or there but it seems to be really stable now. At the shoot this past weekend my 300 yard group was just over 1.5" but one went high on me (mirage maybe, or I just F'd it) the other four shots was a 1.1", which is more than acceptable for me.

.243 Ackley
    27" Benchmark 1:10
    McMillan Rem. Varmint stock
    Rem. 700 action
    12-42x56 Nightforce NXS - NP-2DD

Load:
    80gr. Nosler Bal. Tips
    45.5gr. H4350
    CCI BR-2's
    Lapua Brass

"Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

(Columbia County)

Very nice set up, I'm using a stock stevens m200 in 223 load is win brass 23.5grns benchmark fed 205gm primers and hornady 68gr bthp with a center point scope from walmart next step for it is a choate ultimate sniper stock. I would post a pic of the first hog but I cant upload it from my phone lol and groups from it were around '5 at 100yds but it was so hot i had to wait between each shot for it to cool down il try again when its cooler

(Northampton County)

I went out for my first time yesterday after work. My uncle wants someone to clean up his property. He has a tri-pod stand set up just inside a woodline about 20' up in the air (for deer hunting, but works well for this too). Was out about 90 min when I saw one poke his head up about 140 yards out. First shot kill center mass. Left the body for the red-tail hawk that lives on his property.

Im shooting a Savage Axis in .223 with a BSA tactical scope..not really a terrible setup considering the $ invested. I used just a basic remington round for this, but I have some hornaday v-max 55gr to take from now on.

toadyoforangeville, I'm going to try your load data.

I'm itching to take my 260 out. I haven't shot any this year. I liquidated them pretty good where I live a few years back and they have never really recovered. I did get two last year with my 308 @ 45 grains of Varget and 168gr Barnes TSX in with CCI LR primers. It dismantled one and eviscerated the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Northampton County)

Got another one last night, was out for 90 min and got bored so I climbed down and went to look over a small hill. Saw one sitting up about 175 yards out, got down on a knee to stabilize and got a solid head shot. Going to take a break for a few weeks so i dont liquidate them all.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    toadyoforangeville, I'm going to try your load data.

I'm itching to take my 260 out. I haven't shot any this year. I liquidated them pretty good where I live a few years back and they have never really recovered. I did get two last year with my 308 @ 45 grains of Varget and 168gr Barnes TSX in with CCI LR primers. It dismantled one and eviscerated the other.
    Its hell on those damned gophers lol but for me the dont seem to open up good till they get past 150yds. Last week i got a monster hog at 315 went in tiny on the frontal neck shot and left a golfball sized exit just behind the off side shoulder, not even a twich just flopped down. Then I got a 80yd head shot and the bullet didnt open up just ziped right through but it made one hell of a red mist. Plus a 40yd head shot with my 17 tiny entrance no exit. Maybe I'll go smack a few today

(Blair County)

Got one last night when I was checking my zero on my .22 with subsonics. Took 3 shots to get the range right (60yds) but the groundhog didn't know what was going on.

It was almost comical
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Lancaster County)

I may have found a place to go groundhog hunting...The problem is, it isn't long range and I don't think I can use a gun....Gotta pull out the bow!
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast