Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Question on antique pistol with possible Pennsylvania connection

Hi All,

My family had its roots in Pennsylvania before moving west to Indiana in the early 1800s. A few of my ancestors fought in the Revolutionary War for the Pennsylvania 2nd Regiment and the 4th Artillery regiment, so I am always on the lookout for antiques that have some tie to Pennsylvania during the Revolutionary War era.

I recently came across a French Model 1763 pistol that I am considering purchasing. This pistol has P/8 stamped on the metal side plate, trigger guard, and butt plate.

I have read that during the war the state of Pennsylvania would sometimes mark its weapons with P or PP to designate the state's ownership of the weapons. I have looked everywhere I can think of for a reference book or other resource that might be able to tell me if markings such as those shown on this pistol would have been typical of what Pennsylvania put on weapons it received. I was thought that the P/8 marks on this pistol might be a reference to the 8th Pennsylvania Regiment, but that may just be wishful thinking on my part.

I thought that if anyplace would have some experts that could shed some light on this or point me in the right direction, it be the PAFOA.

If anybody out there has some thoughts, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Matt
    Last edited by Hoosier1829; March 10th, 2014 at 02:31 PM. Reason: typo in message