Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: SGL 43 RANGE CLOSED

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    I was calling a spade a spade.
    Fine choice of words.

Quote Originally Posted by garrettej8 View Post
    I wish I would have seen this thread before we drove to the 43 range. we had no clue why the range was closed and we were scared that it would be gone for good. we drove back home and decided to go to targetmaster but that place is a god damn joke. they don't allow pretty much any kind of outside ammo other than their expensive shit and the bald headed guy is an asshole. we had wolf 7.62, xm193 .223 and silverbear .223, winchester 9mm and none of that shit was "good enough". they were afraid it would go thru the wall or the ceiling which is a load of shit.
    i used to go there years ago but anymore its a waist of money. just hide your ammo and buy one box of their crap i bought a box of 44mags from them for my desert eagle, after ten rounds i took it back to get a refund. only about three shells cycled my gun, the guy told me they were reloads. that place is a rip off...

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ophidian View Post
    Fine choice of words.
    Yep, it was meant to be!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    i used to go there years ago but anymore its a waist of money. just hide your ammo and buy one box of their crap i bought a box of 44mags from them for my desert eagle, after ten rounds i took it back to get a refund. only about three shells cycled my gun, the guy told me they were reloads. that place is a rip off...

I thought you could use your own ammo at targetmaster? It used to be that way, but then again I haven't shot pistol there in about 3 years. I just don't like shooting indoors. I have been there within the last year just checking their consignment guns. Once in a while they get an old gun in there that looks promising. They had an old JC higgins type 12 gauge bolt action a while ago that was for sale for $29.00, yes I said twenty nine dollars. Like a dummy I didn't buy the thing. By the time a week later I had decided to go get it, someone had snapped it up. I had no need for the gun and it needed a little TLC but for less than $30.00 for a 12 gauge? Thats unheard of these days. I did ask the guy what was wrong with it when I first looked at it, because I thought it had to have some kind of defect to be selling so cheap. After I looked it over, there was nothing wrong with the gun. The guy said they were simply trying to get rid of it and the guy who took it in said to get whatever they want for it. It would have made a decent backup deer gun using buckshot or non-sabot(foster type) slugs. Oh well live and learn.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by garrettej8 View Post
    I wish I would have seen this thread before we drove to the 43 range. we had no clue why the range was closed and we were scared that it would be gone for good. we drove back home and decided to go to targetmaster but that place is a god damn joke. they don't allow pretty much any kind of outside ammo other than their expensive shit and the bald headed guy is an asshole. we had wolf 7.62, xm193 .223 and silverbear .223, winchester 9mm and none of that shit was "good enough". they were afraid it would go thru the wall or the ceiling which is a load of shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    I thought you could use your own ammo at targetmaster? It used to be that way, but then again I haven't shot pistol there in about 3 years. I just don't like shooting indoors. I have been there within the last year just checking their consignment guns. Once in a while they get an old gun in there that looks promising. They had an old JC higgins type 12 gauge bolt action a while ago that was for sale for $29.00, yes I said twenty nine dollars. Like a dummy I didn't buy the thing. By the time a week later I had decided to go get it, someone had snapped it up. I had no need for the gun and it needed a little TLC but for less than $30.00 for a 12 gauge? Thats unheard of these days. I did ask the guy what was wrong with it when I first looked at it, because I thought it had to have some kind of defect to be selling so cheap. After I looked it over, there was nothing wrong with the gun. The guy said they were simply trying to get rid of it and the guy who took it in said to get whatever they want for it. It would have made a decent backup deer gun using buckshot or non-sabot(foster type) slugs. Oh well live and learn.
    Well, you can bring your own ammo, but:

If if it is .223 it has to be frangible, as their backstop is meant for pistol rounds only.

same goes for x39

and for some reason they have an idiotic ban on wwb, supposedly because of bad initial quality of the ammo.

You just happened to bring what they don't allow.

(not a fan of theirs, just fair)

(Berks County)

The WWB from wally world is for one simple reason. Politics. They don't allow it because wally world sells the WWB (100 round packs) for less than they pay for it. So they can't compete with the price. Thats the real reason they don't allow it. Sure its not bad ammo but its one more reason why china mart is evil entity as it hurts other business owners. That was from one of the guys there. And honestly I can understand why.
    Freedom is paid with the blood of those who understand what being free really means. (Me)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - 1775 Benjamin Franklin

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshin View Post
    The WWB from wally world is for one simple reason. Politics. They don't allow it because wally world sells the WWB (100 round packs) for less than they pay for it. So they can't compete with the price. Thats the real reason they don't allow it. Sure its not bad ammo but its one more reason why china mart is evil entity as it hurts other business owners. That was from one of the guys there. And honestly I can understand why.
    Ridiculous. Evil entity? Hurts other business owners? pah-leeeeze. It's called capitalism. If you want to give the extra 25% to mom/pop gun shops for their ammo, that's your right. Before I started reloading, I would get my ammo wherever it was cheapest, happened to be Wal-Mart.

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    Well, you can bring your own ammo, but:

If if it is .223 it has to be frangible, as their backstop is meant for pistol rounds only.

same goes for x39

and for some reason they have an idiotic ban on wwb, supposedly because of bad initial quality of the ammo.

You just happened to bring what they don't allow.

(not a fan of theirs, just fair)
    they also have or at least had a ban on metal jacketed bullets. i brought up a bunch of .32s to shoot but they wouldnt let me because they were metal jacketed? not copper. they guy said that they would ruin the backstop, a 32? cut me a break.

(Chester County)

To clarify... they make you buy THEIR .223 ammo that is frangible.

Targetmaster isn't a bad range... I just stay away on the weekend afternoons because of too many folks with no experience going and shooting and being unsafe (nearly muzzling the range, shooting across lanes, playing with shotguns, etc).

the WWB restriction seems to be based on WalMart being able to undercut them on price. If I go to Dicks Sporting Goods and buy a case of Remington, it dosn't cost much more than WalMart's WWB... and it beats Targetmaster by $1-2 a box. I just have to buy ammo in bulk. Of course, this means I'll be ready when the zombies come .

As for SGL 43... I've been up there a few times... I've never been there when it was bad. The only unsafe thing I've seen was someone reloading mags and fiddling with their equipment at their bench when folks were downrange checking targets. One of my friends explained WHY what they were doing wasn't safe and concerned him, and they stepped away and apologized.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by yelruh55 View Post
    To clarify... they make you buy THEIR .223 ammo that is frangible.

Targetmaster isn't a bad range... I just stay away on the weekend afternoons because of too many folks with no experience going and shooting and being unsafe (nearly muzzling the range, shooting across lanes, playing with shotguns, etc).

the WWB restriction seems to be based on WalMart being able to undercut them on price. If I go to Dicks Sporting Goods and buy a case of Remington, it dosn't cost much more than WalMart's WWB... and it beats Targetmaster by $1-2 a box. I just have to buy ammo in bulk. Of course, this means I'll be ready when the zombies come .

As for SGL 43... I've been up there a few times... I've never been there when it was bad. The only unsafe thing I've seen was someone reloading mags and fiddling with their equipment at their bench when folks were downrange checking targets. One of my friends explained WHY what they were doing wasn't safe and concerned him, and they stepped away and apologized.
    I was downrange hanging targets there once and a kid picked up a .22 and fired it at the 25 yard range. Man you should've seen the tempers flare that day. But of course Ophidian will think this is just another bull$hit story, but anyway, thought I'd relate it to the thread. Oh, and also the time I was there when a man stopped his car, two underage shooters got out with a 20 gauge and a box of shells, and proceeded to sit down and shoot shotshells on the rifle range. The dad backed out and left them there. The kid swung his muzzle past several of us and that was it, the kids were warned ot stop shooting immediately which they did.
    Last edited by Poonie; July 1st, 2008 at 07:21 AM.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast