Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: SGL 43 RANGE CLOSED

I can only imagine how crowded 43 will be once it reopens and all the weekend warriors head back up there to sight in their deer rifles at the last second. That place used to get so filled with people a few weeks before deer season, they needed a "take a number" machine! Very disheartening to drive all the way up there only to see a line 3 deep with guys waiting for a table. I made that mistake one time, never again. Another reason I joined a club.

(Montgomery County)

My friend called the Pennsylvania Game Commission - Southeast Region office in Reading (448 Snyder Road, Reading, PA 19605, 610-926-3136). The person he spoke with told him the SGL 43 range would be closed for 6-8 weeks.

(Carbon County)

I drove From quakertown before reading this post.. boy do i feel stupid now.. i belive 205 is up by fogelsville but they are closed. as well as the one down the road from my house.. all lead removal.. whats the point of shuttin em all down at that same time.. i might just join a local gun club and deal with some of the hoops.. but yes 43 is closed.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    I used to frequent that range in my younger days, but joined a club because it just got too crowded with idiots from Philly. I called it quits there the day I saw those who I dubbed "the representatives from the bloods and crips", gang banging with their 4-5.'s, nines, and duece dueces, all with the sideways shooting stances, and George Jefferson gaits. I never went back.
    Yeah,... everyone from philly shoots like that. I do it with my K31 and Swede mauser all the time /ROLLEYES And I am sure that people from organized crime syndicates go practice up French Creek because they like the 3 round limit.

The only time I saw someone get cute with a gun like that is someone who bought a mosin from the VF gun show in march and had no idea what he was doing. One of the older guys there walked over to him and explained how to take care of it and he seemed to have a great time afterwards.

PS I believe your story about people shooting sideways and "popping caps" is a bunch of shit. You sound like the Fudds that go to French Creek and give you dirty looks because you are using a com-bloc rifle. RED SCARE AHHHHHHH! Just because you like shooting muzzle loaders and firing bows and arrows at buffalo doesn't mean other people cant enjoy the public range as long as they are acting responsibly. Get over yourself and stick to your awesome "huhntin' rahfles only *spit*" club. We don't want you horning in on our good times.

What the stereotype is going on in your post bro?
    Last edited by Ophidian; June 28th, 2008 at 03:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophidian View Post
    Yeah,... everyone from philly shoots like that. I do it with my K31 and Swede mauser all the time /ROLLEYES And I am sure that people from organized crime syndicates go practice up French Creek because they like the 3 round limit.

The only time I saw someone get cute with a gun like that is someone who bought a mosin from the VF gun show in march and had no idea what he was doing. One of the older guys there walked over to him and explained how to take care of it and he seemed to have a great time afterwards.

PS I believe your story about people shooting sideways and "popping caps" is a bunch of shit. You sound like the Fudds that go to French Creek and give you dirty looks because you are using a com-bloc rifle. RED SCARE AHHHHHHH! Just because you like shooting muzzle loaders and firing bows and arrows at buffalo doesn't mean other people cant enjoy the public range as long as they are acting responsibly. Get over yourself and stick to your awesome "huhntin' rahfles only *spit*" club. We don't want you horning in on our good times.

I've seen a few people up there shooting sideways as well. I've only been there two or three times, and there was only once when I didn't see people shooting like that. There were several who even dressed the part. As long as you're practicing safe handling, I don't care how you shoot, but these guys weren't even close to hitting the targets. Why? They were shooting sideways with subcompacts at the hundred yard range.

I don't care how you dress or how you shoot...just be safe.

(Philadelphia County)

I don't care how you shoot as long as you aren't shooting me or barrel sweeping people. I have never experienced either at French Creek but I see it more at pistol ranges than any other place. The people that frequent FC are usually people in their 30s to 50s who are there to either sight in their hunting rifles or teach their kids to shoot. That is the environment I really enjoy (I don't like the 3 round limit especially when I am shooting my AR15 and AK) but for the scenery and company it really cant be beat. If I want to mag dump my semi autos I can always go to some private land I have access too.... too bad its 3 hours away in SW PA =\

The only reason I got heated at that guy's post was because he was flat out stereotyping based on one incident he observed. It doesn't help anyone to call a group of people idiots just because a few people which you assumed came from somewhere, did something you didn't like. The saying "a few bad apples..." should be shot in the face with a 12ga loaded with burning snakes and spiders. Stereotyping is pretty lame and unfortunately its pretty common when you go to a lot of gun forums (hellooooooooooooo ARFCOM'S blatent racism and crazy survivalists)

snip

We used to shoot almost weekly at French Creek, and saw the behavior described about half the time... and almost always on weekends. Too many of the people who shoot there are utterly unsafe, and too many gangster wannabe's. It got bad enough that instead of shooting there for free, we drive an hour each way to shoot at a club we can afford.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    We used to shoot almost weekly at French Creek, and saw the behavior described about half the time... and almost always on weekends. Too many of the people who shoot there are utterly unsafe, and too many gangster wannabe's. It got bad enough that instead of shooting there for free, we drive an hour each way to shoot at a club we can afford.
    This was what I saw. I was there on a Saturday last year after a gun show at Valley Forge and three guys were there who had just bought a handgun at the show and appeared to not have a clue about gun safety.

I just prefer to shoot with and around people who respect guns for what they are and don't treat them like play things and toys. Since joining Palmyra Sportsmen, I haven't been back to the SGL43 range. The club is a bit closer, no 25 yard minimum for pistol, no 3 round max, and no waiting at the line to change targets.

(Chester County)

Hmmm, I see....First you don't believe my story, which is fine with me. Then you proceed to invent a persona of me , a person you've never met. Again fine with me. Now, let me just say that I did not mean to imply that everyone from Philly was an idiot, but if the shoe fiits, etc,etc,etc. I guess all I can say here is, believe what you want to believe, but I know what I saw and what I saw were a bunch of idiots, and how did I know they were from philly? For one, the thick accent, and two, I used to drive for a company that had customers in philly, so when I overheard some of these upstanding citizens mentioning certain areas and neighborhoods, I put two and two together.

Yeah, and that 3 shot limit! Why do you think it was instituted? I had gone to that range at 43 several times, up until about 2 years ago, and believe me back in the day it was an absolute madhouse with no rule enforcement whatsoever. So next time you are there and you are loading 3 rounds at a time into your AR15, just think of George Jefferson and his friends and you will understand where I am coming from. But then again, you've stated already that you think I"m full of shit, so I guess I'm wasting my time.

BTW - This wasn't simply one incident I observed. Its only one that I related in my post. And stereotyping, nah I wasn't stereotyping, I was calling a spade a spade.
    Last edited by Poonie; June 28th, 2008 at 04:01 PM.

(Delaware County)

I wish I would have seen this thread before we drove to the 43 range. we had no clue why the range was closed and we were scared that it would be gone for good. we drove back home and decided to go to targetmaster but that place is a god damn joke. they don't allow pretty much any kind of outside ammo other than their expensive shit and the bald headed guy is an asshole. we had wolf 7.62, xm193 .223 and silverbear .223, winchester 9mm and none of that shit was "good enough". they were afraid it would go thru the wall or the ceiling which is a load of shit.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast