Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Armstrong County)

Default SS Judge Public Defender Issue ?

Hi all,

I have very few revolvers and god a deal and picked up a new SS Public Defender a few days ago. So far only able to pick-up Federal 410 #4 2 1/2 handgun loads and Federal 45LC.

The 45 LC worked great. Not so for the 410 loads.

After firing some but not all interfere with the frame as cylinder rotates. This makes it very hard to pull the trigger.
    As mentioned not all do this.

The first picture shows the brass of the top shell has bulged a bit while the lower shell has not.
    The second picture shows it wont easily pass the frame as the cylinder is rotated.
    The third picture shows the amount difference in brass protrusion.

Without the shell the gap is about .061" to the frame a the 6 o-clock position.
    If anyone would measure the gap in their working PD and post it I'd be interested in knowing what it is.

Has anyone ever seen this?
    I'll locate and try other 410 handgun ammo to see if its a Federal issue.
    Thank you for any responses.

Default Re: SS Judge Public Defender Issue ?

The 45 LC is working fine, but not the .410 shells. OK.....

Looking in the second picture, I see what I see at the range all the time. An empty case that has backed into the breech face when fired, but it locks there because the case expanded under pressure and it did not contract enough to release tension. Basically, the case head/shell head is jammed against the breech face and is stuck in the cylinder bore too much to move back in enough for the cylinder to rotate.

Those guns dump a lot of debris into the cylinder bores and Tauruses are known to be right on the edge of spec. No harm in it, really, but it means you have to swab your bores, a lot. You can also polish the bores a bit to get rid of some of the microscopic burrs that help 'stick' the empty cases/shells inside the bores when residue builds up around them. My Tracker had a serious case of 'stuck cylinder because the case didn't contract enough'. I used 3-M compound and one of these http://media.midwayusa.com/productim...169/169690.jpg to get rid of the problem. Works well, now, and I don't have to swab the bores nearly as often.
    Last edited by harold63; March 12th, 2014 at 08:50 AM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.