Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Colt New Agent vs Kimber RCP ii vs SA XDs45

Okay, been thinking about a new carry pistol and these are the three I'm considering.

I've been holding off on the XDS primarily due to me having waited to see if any problems arose with them, and then they had the recall. Prior to that, it was probably first on my list.

However, now, the Colt seems to be first on my list.

Anyone have direct experience with any (hopefully multiple) of these models?
    I forgot how much I missed the slang from the 70's and 80's: "Bite me, dig?"

Default Re: Colt New Agent vs Kimber RCP ii vs SA XDs45

I'm not familiar with the New Agent so much, but the Kimber...yes. The Kimber is a little heavier than the Colt, but they both have very good reps with these SB 1911's. If want to run cheap ammo or weak ammo, stay away from the SB 1911. They have heavier recoil springs than a basic government model that do require good shooting technique and good ammo that will cycle the thing. Stove pipes are common with the SB 1911 primarily due to crap ammo and poor grip. They are loud, lightweight, and have a fair amount of recoil that makes target reacquirement a little hard if you do not practice very often, but they are fun as hell to shoot. I like 1911's, so the XD wouldn't even be on my list.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    I'm not familiar with the New Agent so much, but the Kimber...yes. The Kimber is a little heavier than the Colt, but they both have very good reps with these SB 1911's. If want to run cheap ammo or weak ammo, stay away from the SB 1911. They have heavier recoil springs than a basic government model that do require good shooting technique and good ammo that will cycle the thing. Stove pipes are common with the SB 1911 primarily due to crap ammo and poor grip. They are loud, lightweight, and have a fair amount of recoil that makes target reacquirement a little hard if you do not practice very often, but they are fun as hell to shoot. I like 1911's, so the XD wouldn't even be on my list.
    The Kimber is about 2.5 oz heavier than the Colt and has a nice melt treatment on all the metal, including a rounded heel.

However, they also run several hundred dollars more. I've had good luck w/ other Colts in the past so was a little partial to saving a slight amount of weight and using the spare cash to put toward a crimson trace laser grip.

I recall handling the Colt New Agent at the 2011 NRA Convention and really loved the way it fit my hand along with its balance.

(Westmoreland County)

Does anyone have any advice or experience carrying either a 3" 1911 (aluminum) vs the XDS they'd like to share?

(Bucks County)

Any non-standard 1911 needs to be thoroughly tested with the ammo you intend to carry in it. a 1911 has a 'timing' to it and the shorter barrels can throw that timing off somewhat. That's not to say they are a problem, just that if you know about it, you can select ammo to accommodate the change. I've carried full size and 3" without issues for over three decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    Any non-standard 1911 needs to be thoroughly tested with the ammo you intend to carry in it.
    This, too ^^^. One or two mags worth of your carry ammo isn't going to be enough. 100 or so trouble free rds and you're prolly safe, IMO. That 500 rd BS is exactly that.......BS...and a waste of money.

(Westmoreland County)

Look at a STI Guardian http://www.stiguns.com/the-sti-guardian/

Commander length slide on an officers frame. Adjustable carry style sights and an undercut trigger guard.
    Last edited by hzox221; March 11th, 2014 at 11:12 PM.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    This, too ^^^. One or two mags worth of your carry ammo isn't going to be enough. 100 or so trouble free rds and you're prolly safe, IMO. That 500 rd BS is exactly that.......BS...and a waste of money.
    I don't trust any gun with less than 1000 rounds through it. Every pistol feels different and practice refines handling skills. Every pistol I will use for protection or competition will have at least 5000 dry fire rounds before the first live round goes down the barrel.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by hzox221 View Post
    Look at a STI Guardian http://www.stiguns.com/the-sti-guardian/

Commander length slide on an officers frame. Adjustable carry style sights and an undercut trigger guard.
    I have a commander length pistol already, even with an officer's frame, still too bulky and heavy for me and all day carry. I'm only 5' 6" and know what works for me and doesn't. However, I'm not particularly fond of 9mm so won't be going that route again, nor am I going to go w/ 40 s&w.

I enjoy shooting 45 acp and the 3 pistols I've kind of settled on are what I'd like to go with. So, even if anyone doesn't have any experience with these specific models, having carry experience with similar models in weight/size will help understand comfort and bulk considerations.

I do really appreciate your input but am specifically interested in the three models listed, or information with experiences of something similar only to help from a comparison perspective (en lieu of the experience w/ the actual models listed).

Quote Originally Posted by hzox221 View Post
    I don't trust any gun with less than 1000 rounds through it. Every pistol feels different and practice refines handling skills. Every pistol I will use for protection or competition will have at least 5000 dry fire rounds before the first live round goes down the barrel.
    Everyone's 'carry gun' ritual is what it is, but making sure the ammo you want to use in it, works, doesn't require all this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast