Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default New to Rifle Reloading ? I do handguns now

Howdy,

Some used Lee 270 dies are on the way to me from a friend. Currently I reload handgun with a Dillon 550. Will not be shooting hundreds a month so not looking at a high volume operation.

I've perused case trimmers and it seems any kind of automation costs $100 +, right? There are the ultimate trimmers for over $300 and then there's the Lee setup for drill use - about the cheapest setup.

What is a practical alternative for trimming maybe 100-150 rounds a month that will not kill my wrist or hands?

Thanks!

(Clarion County)

Default Re: New to Rifle Reloading ? I do handguns now

Seems lately all I've been using is the Lee. This is not my set up but have built something like it. Also use a lyman trimmer with drill attachment. For the price Lee can't be beat and a plus is it works.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Berks County)

I bought a used one cheap at a local gun shop. Check pafoa classifieds;there's two in Northampton and one in Montco.Otherwise,check ebay.Different styles and brands under $75 or $100. If you're only doing a small batch a month, most manual ones won't kill your hands and wrists.

(Bucks County)

This is what I use. Works great and keeps good tolerance when set-up.

http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/wft.html
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

(Berks County)

That does look sweet.

(Somerset County)

I use a Lyman trimmer with the adapter so I can use my cordless drill. Depending on the load, I find I need to trim about every other time I load a case.

Dale

(Montgomery County)

The leee trimmer is pretty cheap, like 15$ for the cutter and your caliber length gauge. And the different calibers are only 6-7$ each.

Initially, it wont be that bad to use. It is fairly accurate, but you are stuck with the length they give you. If you want to trim shorter or longer, it is not easy to do with the Lee setup.

I think the Worlds Finest Trimmer is the best bang for the buck and seems to work great if you can build a box or something to hold the drill down, so all you do is size each one by pressing it into the cutter almost like the giraud power trimmer.

Downside, it doesn't chamfer or deburr.. But will it be necessary for you?

Lee makes a press mounted cutter.. Lee Deluxe Quick trim case trimmer. This requires you to press down and crank the handle to cut each case. I believe it also sizes the case. The cutter is about 16$ and each caliber die is about 10$. An issue complained about is you need to count the amount of times you turn the handle and even then it won't cut consistently for everyone. There are a group of people that fashioned a motor to work with this trimmer and they had very good results.. A bonus with this cutter though, is it will chamfer and debur the cases. This can be mounted on your dillon, so that you would only need to make two passes on the press for a completed round with no other real brass prep off the press. Again depends on what type of accuracy you are looking for.

Higher end would be the Dillon RT1200 rapid trim. It only sizes, doesn't chamfer or deburr. Chamfer might not be needed. If using boat tail bullets, they should seat with no issues. Some people say even the flat bottom seat with no problems. But you are looking at about 275$ for the trimmer and 50$ for the trim dies. And the dies are a little harder to find.

Have fun with whatever you decide..
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

(Bucks County)

I also like the Lee setup. Chuck the cutter in a big drill press and its the fastest way you'll find. I also have a Lyman case trimmer. Its infinately adjustable but in reality the Lee is more consistent. Its also much slower and a chore to do 100 cases.

The Lee setup does trim to a set length but you can shorten them (not sure why) with a grinder. GO SLOW! They give you about 1/3 of an inch to grind so sometimes you can modify them for other less common cases.

(Berks County)

I have a pretty good routine with the Lee trimmers also.

I use a cordless drill set up right in front of me on a table in a tray to catch all the shavings.

What is a practical alternative for trimming maybe 100-150 rounds a month that will not kill my wrist or hands?
    That is a lot of shooting for trimming! You should find a need to only trim brass every 4 to 5 reloadings or so. I still case check all my loads but the 4 to 5 number holds true for most of what I reload a lot for (.223, .308 and .30-06).
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer