Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Lost ruger mkIII trigger spring plunger

I've owned my ruger mkIII 22/45 for many years and I absolutely love shooting it so I decided to install a volquartsen sear to get a better trigger pull.

This thing is a bastard to reassemble but I was determined to do this install right. I sat down with a YouTube video and an empty work space with paper towels layed down and everything was going smooth until I noticed I didn't have my spring plunger. I dunno if it shot out during disassembly or what but I clearly remember seeing it still attached and thought "man I gotta clean the hell out of that" and poof it's gone.

I tore the entire room to pieces and then got on the phone with ruger who said I would have a new one in 7-10 days. I'm so butt hurt right now but luckily ruger was kind enough to send another.

Lesson learned, pay attention to springs!
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

Default Re: Lost ruger mkIII trigger spring plunger

I will NEVER EVER take mine apart to clean it again.

(Bucks County)

First-time disassembling trick...do it in a clear plastic bag so things can't become permanent residents of a niche away from the bench. If it's gotta go together under tension and it could get away....back in the plastic bag again.

I once had a weird one. Part dropped to the floor of my shop as I sat on my bench stool. Could not find it. For some reason I finally tilted the stool to look at its superstructure near floor. There was the part...captured in a thick cobweb!

(Philadelphia County)

I love this gun but you'd think after all these years they'd make disassembly easier. I tore my room apart and the plunger is a significant piece of steel that can clearly be seen by the naked eye and it just vanished. It's lasted many thousands of rounds without a detail strip though and I'm able to hit qtips at 45 ft so I guess it's a trade off

(Dauphin County)

Bill Ruger was an original and so was his pistol. He designed it on his own, finishing it at his home drafting table after his first company folded. He definitely had his own ideas about the design. But it and the 10/22 are two American originals.

After some practice it comes apart easily enough. I have two Mark pistols and the best decision I made was NOT to disassemble them after every range trip.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html

(Allegheny County)

Do you have access to a fairly large magnet?

I lost the tiny c-clip from my AR's dust cover. Couldn't find it, I borrowed a magnet from work. It actually looked like a ping pong paddle. It's the kind used to wipe data from hard drives. I ran that magnet over the floor and found the clip in just a few sweeps.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoGeezer View Post
    Bill Ruger was an original and so was his pistol. He designed it on his own, finishing it at his home drafting table after his first company folded. He definitely had his own ideas about the design. But it and the 10/22 are two American originals.

After some practice it comes apart easily enough. I have two Mark pistols and the best decision I made was NOT to disassemble them after every range trip.
    You should hire yourself out to field strip those devils. I agree with smoke wagon, perhaps a design change of sorts should be in order for the design that came out in the forties. Many owners of the very fine and accurate auto do not field strip it that often, and when they do, the firearm usually goes back to the shop where it was purchased for such an operation.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by c45man View Post
    You should hire yourself out to field strip those devils. I agree with smoke wagon, perhaps a design change of sorts should be in order for the design that came out in the forties. Many owners of the very fine and accurate auto do not field strip it that often, and when they do, the firearm usually goes back to the shop where it was purchased for such an operation.
    If you have a flat hard floor, try getting a powerful flashlight and lay it on the floor. Sweep around in all directions, it will show every speck of dirt! Old trick I learned at NASA while doing wind tunnel model changes! Good idea with the magnet, too! As for disassembly, the barrel in my 1903 Colt and the rollers in my CZ 52 are things that just don't need to be cleaned every time. Good luck with the rebuild!

(Philadelphia County)

It's a hardwood floor but the room is filled with guitars and unfished projects. I can't stop looking and I'll most likely rip apart the room more than I already have before I get the new one. I tried a flashlight and everything. I don't have access to a magnet but that's a good idea.

(Lawrence County)

For those of you looking for an easier way to clean your MK series Ruger 22, I recommend Majestic Speed Strip kit.
    http://www.eabco.com/Ruger_Mk_III_Speed_Strip.html

I have no vested interest in this company. (Just a satisfied user)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast