Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Crossbow help

(Mercer County)

Default Crossbow help

I have lived in PA now for 6 months and I have really wanted to start archery hunting because I am not going to lie it sounds amazing. I am 6'9" tall so finidng a good compound with my draw length is not looking so good. I would love to get a crossbow but I do not know the first thing about them other than they seem hard to load judging from the show "Top Shot". I want to spend under 400. What are some good companies that sell them and what should I be looking for in a crossbow?

PS. What kind does Daryl use on the "The Walking Dead"?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Crossbow help

Firstly Daryl uses a Horton Scout HD 125 Crossbow from Seasons 1-3 and a Stryker Strykezone 380 from Season 3 to present.

I would recommend to avoid buying them online right, Find some Archery stores in your area and look around, find a one that fits you good, then once you decide what you like, then look around online for deals of that model.

(Susquehanna County)

Most archery stores will allow you to shoot them in store. I'd recommend this. I'm not a big fan of the horton crossbows, I like ten-point. The draw length is adjustable to an extent, usually up to 31-32". Certain types might be able to go longer.

Keep in mind that shooting a bow with a shorter drawlength isn't a problem, you just have to hold your anchor arm bent at an angle (which is actually better than locking it outright). I'm 6'3 - 6'4 (depending on which convenience store i leave) and my drawlength is around 31". I do not have a problem shooting a bow.

Again, find a local archery shop and go talk to the guys there. They will be able to set you up with either a compound or a crossbow.
    Stay armed my friends.

(Bucks County)

You should be able to find a compound that will fit. I don't agree that a shorter draw length is OK. If you keep your arm bent, it's not only harder to keep the bow at full draw, but also harder getting to the same anchor spot every single time. I'm about 6' and shoot a 29" draw. Depending on the style of release you use, your draw length will vary. A longer release will essentially shorten your draw, so you may only need a 30" draw. As for crossbows, I've shot my dad's a few times and it's not that difficult to load once you figure it out. Check out Craigslist, sometimes you can get a good deal on one there. With Parker crossbows, they come with a lifetime warranty on the limbs, no matter what happens to them. My dad accidentally dropped his from the tree and it blew up. He bought a new one to replace it, and the shop ordered new limbs for his old bow free of charge.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by wakefield724 View Post
    I have lived in PA now for 6 months and I have really wanted to start archery hunting because I am not going to lie it sounds amazing. I am 6'9" tall so finidng a good compound with my draw length is not looking so good. I would love to get a crossbow but I do not know the first thing about them other than they seem hard to load judging from the show "Top Shot". I want to spend under 400. What are some good companies that sell them and what should I be looking for in a crossbow?

PS. What kind does Daryl use on the "The Walking Dead"?
    I call bs on you op. The real reason you want a crossbow is because your girlfriend or wife(or both as the case may be) kind of digs Daryl. Keep it simple just go get a flannel shirtand rips off the sleeves. Buy a cheep black crossbow and stop cutting your hair. Also a dab of vegatable oil rubbed through your hair will add bonus points.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

If you buy used, don't buy a Horton, they where bought out by ten point, and no longer supplies Horton parts. You'll see on CL 7 ot of 10 CB's are hortons, this is the reason people are dumping them.
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

Parker makes some amazing crossbows.

(Berks County)

Look at Wicked Ridge by Ten Point. My warrier is a lot of bang for the buck. Shoot me a PM if you need a good archery shop. There is a fellow over on HuntingPa who is tremendous!