Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Looks Like Facebook Caved

Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalReaper View Post
    Do a search for the string: "handgun + transfer + 'no FFL'"? Rifles are used in an insignificant number of crimes, comparatively, so logistically it makes most sense to go after handgun sales which, as far as I know, have to go through an FFL in EVERY state.

It clearly differs to your opinion, but I think it helps our cause to say we are completely open to ideas on how to cut down on sales of ILLEGAL guns. Maybe one day we'll get the Anti's to open their eyes and realise that WE are not the problem, and punishing us for the actions of criminals is detrimental to all.

You have been misinformed. There are no federal laws requiring a FFL for any handgun or long gun transactions between non-prohibited residents of the same state who are 18 or over. Most states allow it also, in fact the majority do. PA is in the minority on this. This is why the antis are pushing so hard for the universal background checks.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by WereWolf View Post
    Truth be told, if they didn't do it now, they won't do it. At least not for a long time. Businesses are giving in enough just to get everyone to shut up about it. Look at Starbucks. They didn't ban guns, just asked to knock off the open carry meet ups.
    And they didn't want to do that at first. But people couldn't enjoy a victory.

Demanding moms et al wanted all gun sales stopped. What they got was a policy that you can't advertise in a way that breaks the law (good) or that mentions if no background check is required (not good, but doesn't really stop you making a sale).

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by hotdog View Post
    A lot of small businesses use FB, including local gun stores. Wont surprise me if they're eventually banned.

Guess time will tell.
    There is always Penny Pincher.

This reminds of the gunshow "loophole". Why do you need FB to sell your gun and how does FB know how the gun is sold?

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverPA View Post
    There is always Penny Pincher.

This reminds of the gunshow "loophole". Why do you need FB to sell your gun and how does FB know how the gun is sold?
    Craigslist was first. Then eBay and Google+. Now its Facebook and Instagram...

Look at this ridiculousness:

EXCLUSIVE: Buying a gun on Facebook takes 15 minutes.

Even in their names, the Facebook fan pages make no attempt to hide what their real purposes are: Firearms Only Alamogordo, Guns for Sale, I Love Guns, and even Guns, Ammo & Blades.

The pages have hundreds of thousands of “likes” and members.
    So?

Kids Are Buying Guns Off of Facebook.

Oh come on...

...a 15-year-old student had been arrested on the Greenup County High School campus for carrying an unlicensed and loaded 9mm handgun to school. The boy was arrested and brought to Cooper’s office for an interview.

When Cooper, a former Kentucky State Trooper with a heavy Southern drawl, asked the kid where he got the gun, his reply was shocking: Facebook.

Well, whatever. Yet another modern marketplace in the age of technology well on its way to stifling the 2A.

I realize they are saying "illegal" gun sales but IMHO, thats a cover.

The two advocacy groups recently joined forces to pressure “Facebook [to] get out of the gun business.” Mayors Against Illegal Guns was cofounded by former NYC three-term mayor and billionaire Michael Bloomberg along with Boston’s then-mayor, Thomas Menino, in 2006. Mayors of more than 1,100 U.S. cities belong to the organization.

A Moms Demand Action petition on Change.org to prohibit gun sales on Facebook and Facebook-owned Instagram has over 94,000 signatures. Comedian Sarah Silverman recently tweeted about the campaign, which is getting massive exposure through U.S. media outlets.
    Last edited by hotdog; March 5th, 2014 at 11:05 PM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by hotdog View Post
    I generally like what youre saying.

Although I'm a bit more cynical.

A lot of small businesses use FB, including local gun stores. Wont surprise me if they're eventually banned.

Guess time will tell.
    You may be right hotdog, but if such a thing happens, another social media outlet will spring up dealing with firearms and related subjects. The well used Gunbroker website came into its own after EBay stopped the advertising and selling of firearms.

There are almost 100 million firearm owners in this country and the number climbs at a fast pace every year. We will not be cutoff by the policy change of any particular internet site.

(Montgomery County)

Gunbroker has a hideous user interface. A hodgepodge of tiny, mostly meaningless icons. And what's so hard about posting decent size pictures?

(Allegheny County)

Just need FFL dealers - and any gun companies that use FB as a communications vehicle - to create an info page in their ads 'splaining how internet sales REALLY work.

The Moms Demanding Action from Highschoolboys in the Back of Their Minivans are playing the dog-ignorant John Q Public for fools.

Educate the unwashed masses and the shrill cry of Moms gets ignored.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Lebanon County)

OK Guys,

Time to use their own tactics against them. We know they openly lie, and call for violence against firearms users in their forums. We KNOW they block our comments and us from correcting them. Spread the word to all 2A friendly business account owners to ask for their help in spreading the word. EVERY post they make that has misinformation needs reporting, every call for violence needs reporting and the group needs reporting as a HATE Group, enough complaints from enough customers (and the business users do have larger voice because they PAY for their services) FB WILL take notice and action. make this a true grass roots movement play MDA's game by their own rules. BTW, if you see them refer to themselves as MDA complain copyright infringement (Muscular Dystrophy Association).

(Bucks County)

Greetings,

Not to pick on you ChemicalReaper, but the flaw with this line of thinking is that depending on the state of residence of the buyer and seller, it MAY be 100% withing the law to transfer handguns privately without any FFL involvement. Just like two PA residents can privately transfer rifles or shotguns.

So, my reading is that facebook is mandating procedures that actually go against the laws of some states. I would hope ALL gun owners would boycott them (fb) entirely and cancel their use.

Regards, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalReaper View Post
    It seems like the biggest thing Facebook will be doing is to monitor posts that advertise transfers of firearms without going through an FFL/NICS/PICS. I don't have a problem with that. No gun registries, no "high" capacity magazine bans; none of this "common sense gun laws" bullshit: cracking down on illegal sales and transfers to people who can't otherwise legally own firearms is using actual common sense.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by jim-analog View Post
    Greetings,

Not to pick on you ChemicalReaper, but the flaw with this line of thinking is that depending on the state of residence of the buyer and seller, it MAY be 100% withing the law to transfer handguns privately without any FFL involvement. Just like two PA residents can privately transfer rifles or shotguns.

So, my reading is that facebook is mandating procedures that actually go against the laws of some states. I would hope ALL gun owners would boycott them (fb) entirely and cancel their use.

Regards, Jim
    I really don't see a problem with Facebook monitoring posts that advertise "NO BACKGROUND CHECK NECESSARY" or that advertise avoidance of FFL transfers for interstate transfers.

Think about the kind of people such ads would attract? I would wager it is most likely people who couldn't pass a background check. The lack of "No Background Check Needed" in an ad isn't going to deter a legal gun buyer who knows no background check is needed in his state (and could pass a BC anyway). The lack of "no background check necessary" might just deter the next Adam Lanza or Ronell Wilson or Edward Bracey.

Of course, our viewpoint may be different since we are so used to needing to visit an FFL to transfer handguns during private sales.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast