Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Looks Like Facebook Caved

Well, we all know* the NSA already reads Facebook every day, so if you are buying and selling there, they know about it. If Facebook wants to pretend to "crack down" on non-ffl transactions, they can go right ahead. I don't have facebook anyway.

But if you think you are arranging an under the table private sale to avoid the government check, you are fooling yourself. They already know.

*If you don't already know this, just go about your complacent merry way. There is nothing to be concerned about, the government is taking good care of you and everyone will get free cake and ice cream.
    Sic semper tyrannis

How the hell is facebook going to determine if its an ad for an "illegal" gun sale?

What are they going to research the laws of every state and then cross reference against the sale item?

Get the hell outta here.

Sounds like complete BS to me.

A cover story in yet another set back to the 2A.

And the NRA is saying its a good thing?

I really dont like the NRA. Over the years, they've compromised with the gun grabbers way too much.

(Lancaster County)

I'm sure that Facebook is choose to err on the side of caution and decide that any firearm sale being done on their systems could potentially be illegal and cancel whatever communication that is occurring between the parties involved.

Since Facebook is a private entity, they are within their right to set whatever policies they want, if you don't like their policies, you can always find some other way to waste your time.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by hotdog View Post
    How the hell is facebook going to determine if its an ad for an "illegal" gun sale?
    Do a search for the string: "handgun + transfer + 'no FFL'"? Rifles are used in an insignificant number of crimes, comparatively, so logistically it makes most sense to go after handgun sales which, as far as I know, have to go through an FFL in EVERY state.

It clearly differs to your opinion, but I think it helps our cause to say we are completely open to ideas on how to cut down on sales of ILLEGAL guns. Maybe one day we'll get the Anti's to open their eyes and realise that WE are not the problem, and punishing us for the actions of criminals is detrimental to all.

(Delaware County)

From the horses mouth ...

https://newsroom.fb.com/News/814/Fac...rcial-Activity

Facebook, Instagram Announce New Educational and Enforcement Measures for Commercial Activity

March 05, 2014
    Monika Bickert, Head of Global Policy Management

Facebook, at its heart, is about helping people connect and communicate. Because of the diversity of people and cultures on our services, we know that people sometimes post or share things that may be controversial or objectionable. We work hard to find a balance between enabling people to express themselves about topics that are important to them, and creating an environment that is safe and respectful.

This balance is important to how we view commercial activity on Facebook or Instagram. We have strict rules about how businesses can use our advertising tools. For example, we do not permit advertising for illegal drugs, tobacco products, prescription pharmaceuticals, weapons, and several other products and services, and restrict advertising for products such as alcohol, adult products, and gaming. In all cases, we have systems in place to review and remove advertising that violates our policies, is false, deceptive, or misleading.

Of course, most of our tools are free to use, and many people and organizations use them to establish a presence on Facebook, including to promote commercial transactions. While people can't use our services to actually sell things to each other, they can set up a Page or make an occasional post to their Timeline to find a roommate, sell a home, or solicit contributions for a church or nonprofit organization. Just like posting on a bulletin board at a supermarket or community center, these activities may be considered commercial, but we treat this type of sharing like any other type of sharing on our services - and we respond to reports when something violates our Community Standards.

People sometimes use our free tools to discuss products that are regulated or controversial. In some cases they promote these products for sale or use, even though it's not possible to complete a sale on Facebook or Instagram. While we've recently heard specific concerns from people about offers for the private sales of firearms, this is one of many areas where we face a difficult challenge balancing individuals' desire to express themselves on our services, and recognizing that this speech may have consequences elsewhere.

Today, we are introducing a series of new educational and enforcement efforts for people discussing the private sale of regulated items:

Any time we receive a report on Facebook about a post promoting the private sale of a commonly regulated item, we will send a message to that person reminding him or her to comply with relevant laws and regulations. We will also limit access to that post to people over the age of 18.
    We will require Pages that are primarily used by people to promote the private sale of commonly regulated goods or services to include language that clearly reminds people of the importance of understanding and complying with relevant laws and regulations, and limit access to people over the age of 18 or older if required by applicable law.

We will provide special in-app education on Instagram for those who search for sales or promotions of firearms.

We will not permit people to post offers to sell regulated items that indicate a willingness to evade or help others evade the law. For example, private sellers of firearms in the U.S. will not be permitted to specify “no background check required,” nor can they offer to transact across state lines without a licensed firearms dealer.

We have worked with a number of individuals and organizations on the development of these efforts, which will be implemented and enforced in the coming weeks. We are grateful in particular for the advice offered by New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, Americans for Responsible Solutions, Sandy Hook Promise, Mayors Against Illegal Guns, and Moms Demand Action, which helped us develop an approach for the private sale of firearms. We also appreciate the feedback provided by the Facebook Safety Advisory Board.

As always, we encourage people who see anything that violates our policies to report it to us using the tools found throughout our services. Facebook and Instagram will continue to remove content, and notify law enforcement where appropriate, when we are notified about things shared on our services that suggest a direct, credible risk to others’ safety. We will also continue to strictly enforce our advertising policies.

We believe these collective efforts represent the right approach in balancing people's desire to express themselves while promoting a safe, responsible community.

Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalReaper View Post
    Do a search for the string: "handgun + transfer + 'no FFL'"? Rifles are used in an insignificant number of crimes, comparatively, so logistically it makes most sense to go after handgun sales which, as far as I know, have to go through an FFL in EVERY state.

It clearly differs to your opinion, but I think it helps our cause to say we are completely open to ideas on how to cut down on sales of ILLEGAL guns. Maybe one day we'll get the Anti's to open their eyes and realise that WE are not the problem, and punishing us for the actions of criminals is detrimental to all.
    I generally like what youre saying.

Although I'm a bit more cynical.

A lot of small businesses use FB, including local gun stores. Wont surprise me if they're eventually banned.

Guess time will tell.

Whenever there is an issue with my constitutional rights, I always take aim at their pocketbook! Bitching, and moaning has really never gotten me anywhere.

I would rather mention selling their stocks whether I own it or not, and also taking note of advertisers, then banning them from any of my money in future sales. Enlightening some who may think different. Many large cap company's would rather not voice nor violate the law of the land, and remain in the middle.

I post this in the feedback or comment sections in an effort to enlighten others who may also wish to do so.

Attacks on money in income can always work and ones favor, perhaps swaying one to decide different.

Just me two cents!
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

(Lancaster County)

Having a business 'page' on FB this had me paying attention. I have seen pages with 100K followers wiped out. That a blow to business. Love it or hate it (Facebook) people put time into building a viewer base and use it to try and promote and keep afloat their businesses.

As it is, FB limits the reach of industry related pages. Page owners should see about 10% of there follower being 'reached' by post made. I have 8K plus and I am lucky if 5% will see anything I post.

Want to help? If you're on FB and see industry related post just like and comment on them. I couple likes and comments can help double or triple a pages expose and maybe we will get lucky and it will pop up in a bunch of Mom Demand Actions supporters news feed.
    <a href=http://vigitac.com target=_blank>http://vigitac.com</a>

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by hotdog View Post
    I generally like what youre saying.

Although I'm a bit more cynical.

A lot of small businesses use FB, including local gun stores. Wont surprise me if they're eventually banned.

Guess time will tell.
    Truth be told, if they didn't do it now, they won't do it. At least not for a long time. Businesses are giving in enough just to get everyone to shut up about it. Look at Starbucks. They didn't ban guns, just asked to knock off the open carry meet ups.

Anyway, these new policies are just the same as the policies here on the classifieds forums. We SHOULD be encouraging them to prevent illegal sales. The last thing we need is more bad press because some nudnick decided to sell a gun without a background check to the next Jared Loughner.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalReaper View Post
    Actually, you only need to go through a background check for a private handgun sale in 11 states (pennsylvania and the hippy dippy blue states).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast