Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Finally got a new scale

I just picked up the RCBS Range Master 750 to replace the piece of junk scale that came with my Hornday LNL press kit. I haven't really used it much yet, but can tell it's much more consistent that that other piece of crap. I should have bought a new scale immediately. It would have saved me soooo much time trying to figure out if I was getting the correct powder charge.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Finally got a new scale

Good choice I bought the RCBS 1500 about 4 years ago, Great scale I did make a plastic cover for mine.

Your complaints of the cheap Hornady scale is exactly why I never recommend the reloading package deals. Some items are good others not so much.

Its always best to build your reloading set from the ground up. I have Hornady, Redding, RCBS, and Lyman on my bench. I still have my first pacific power C-press and beam scale.

Buy quality and you only need to buy once.

(Lehigh County)

I need a new one as well.....Too many decisions

(Bucks County)

I got the RCBS 1500 a couple months ago and am very satisfied with it. It is consistent, stable, and allows you to trickle a load.

(Butler County)

So for it's been working good. I did notice that it takes a while to return to zero after calibration though. I remove the weights and it sits at .02 for a good minute before it changes to zero. Anyone else's do that?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by sgtmcbowflex View Post
    So for it's been working good. I did notice that it takes a while to return to zero after calibration though. I remove the weights and it sits at .02 for a good minute before it changes to zero. Anyone else's do that?
    That happened once when my scale was not level, and the slightest movement of the bench made it wobble and the readout unstable. I leveled the scale with the adjustment screws on the bottom using a short bubble level, and it hasn't happened since.

I've read that some scales need to sit for 10 minutes or longer when first turned on to become stable, and some are sensitive to current fluctuations and nearby electromagnetic fields. I don't know how important that is, but FWIW, I don't plug anything else into the outlet I use for the scale, and keep other electric items away from the scale.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    That happened once when my scale was not level, and the slightest movement of the bench made it wobble and the readout unstable. I leveled the scale with the adjustment screws on the bottom using a short bubble level, and it hasn't happened since.

I've read that some scales need to sit for 10 minutes or longer when first turned on to become stable, and some are sensitive to current fluctuations and nearby electromagnetic fields. I don't know how important that is, but FWIW, I don't plug anything else into the outlet I use for the scale, and keep other electric items away from the scale.
    I'll try to make sure it's level. I wouldn't doubt it if it isn't level. My basement floor isn't level all over, and my bench has a bit of a wobble to it.

As far as power goes, I'm currently running it on a battery since I've been too lazy to do anything about the lack of outlets near my bench.

(Northampton County)

Just out of curiosity, how come nobody uses the Ohaus scales and balances? What makes them unsuited to the task?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how come nobody uses the Ohaus scales and balances? What makes them unsuited to the task?
    I've heard good things about Ohaus, the international analytical equipment company. Ohaus makes the RCBS 505 balance scale that I use along with the 1500 to keep it honest. Nice thing about the 1500 is that I can buy the Chargemaster add-on if I want an automated dispenser in the future.

Do you favor the Ohaus line or a particular model?

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Never heard of them before. Although I am very new to the reloading game so maybe it's just my inexperience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast