Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default Sitting and waiting, Or walking and stalking which is better for deer

So many people sit in a treestand, blind, or chair for hours when deer hunting. Other people walk miles and miles looking for deer. For rifle season which do you think is more effective?

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Sitting and waiting, Or walking and stalking which is better for deer

Depends on if you want to be well rested or tired. I find that sitting on a stand ensures I'm well rested lol

(York County)

Default Re: Sitting and waiting, Or walking and stalking which is better for deer

best way to take a deer is to find a tree in which to place a stand that is in the secondary growth about 50 feet from a recently harvested corn field in one direction and 50 feet from a stream in the other. the deer will come off the field at daybreak, browse in the secondary growth (bushes), and then go to water. you have shots during any moment of this 1-2 hour period in which you have a clear line of sight. this set-up allows you to take advantage of a deer's normal and typical movement patterns.

(Bucks County)

50/50 for me.

I prefer to walk, sit, walk, to a stand on opening day and spend the rest of the day in one spot. Worked real well this year as I shot a nce buck at 2pm.

I like to sit and watch an area before I move. If you do not see the deer move; they see you and you never see them.

(Carbon County)

For me, it depends on the time of day and the area. I agree with the others, once they are bedded the chance of spotting them first goes way down. I have shot a lot of deer when I was walking around, but the deer were walking around also. In the mountains they get up to move around when the sun hits (About 9:30 where I am usually at). If you are above them you will probably spot them first. Listen to the shooting pick up around that time. The old tale about hunters going back to the truck for coffee at that time and moving deer is nonsense. There is a big difference between the way a "pushed" deer acts and a deer just up stretching a little. In the middle of the day I like to nap. Most of the buck I have shot were between 11:00 AM and 2:00 Most people wake up when something is around them. You may have some walk by when you are dozing, but it is my time off, so I don't care. It mostly depends on the area you hunt.

(Bucks County)

I have read some hunters saying they see more deer walking than sitting. They probably can identify the deer by all that white in the raised tail as it recedes into the horizon.

I would say still hunting (step one step, stand still two) is very effective under certain conditions. First and foremost a wet forest floor with stepped-on leaves that make no sounds. A bit of a breeze keeping vegetation in motion so deer do not pick up on your movement as easily and of course walk into the breeze if possible. I have walked up on deer during rain. They seem less concerned when what they see is not making noise.

I hunted a particular ridge in Schuylkill county years ago where a deer stayed under mountain laurel. Try as I may, I could not get near it. I tried five times to be as quiet as possible but I could hear it break out before I could get near. Then I hit upon an idea. Using the old trick of whistling to stop a deer from running, I expanded on it. I walked toward it slowly but a little faster than a sneak-up, whistling Dixie. It stayed put until we could see each other before it bolted. As I suspected, it was a buck. Didn't get a shot, but I was happy I had won my game.

One time I met up face-to-face with a 6-point buck on a trail out of season. We stood there looking at each other, about 25 feet apart. He let me dig for my camera and take his picture. I continued on my way by walking sharp left of him and he did the same. I looked back and he was looking back at me. This was during fall turkey back in the 70s on a friend's hunting camp property. I told my friend I had come across a tame deer or a deer that had never seen a human before. He highly doubted either was the case. The camera was an old 110. The film was so old the photo was useless. Bottom line...you never know what a deer will do. You absolutely can walk up on them and sometimes they will just stand there. But I just could never talk myself into counting on it. So i sit.

(Jefferson County)

It depends on the terrain as to which is best for guarantying a harvest. ...some places you might be better off ambushing, other places better off stalking.

I personally prefer to stalk. I have issue with ambushing(nothing I hold against others doing it), which is unsporting to me. And I get too cold if I'm not moving. My stalking actually helps my elder uncles who cant hike it like I can. ...I drive deer towards them.

Now, groundhog - you almost have to sit still for them. Which I don't mind doing in the middle of summer. ...under a shade tree, big thermos of ice-tea or lemonade, a reclining beach chair, catch'n some ZZZzzz's in between.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Somerset County)

Depends is the best answer. Opening day, I sit as long as I can. After that, there is usually no one around my area, the deer aren't going to move on their own so I do. I really miss the days when the gang was at camp and we did drives in the small woodlots between farms. Guys are almost all gone now or have given up hunting.

Groundhogs, I really like it when I can find a farm with contour strip fields winding around a hill, makes great sneak and peek territory. But I'm just as comfortable sitting in one spot too.

Dale

I prefer to let the weather and hunting pressure dictate what would most likely work.

First day regardless, I try to stay on stand, taking pee bottle, coffee, and lunch with me.

Mornings and evenings are likely to be on stand as well, as well as saddle areas are good stand locations. Saddles are found on ridge tops, and are lower than the adjacent ridges, deer crossing from one side of the hill to the other, will cross in the saddle area, on topos, I look for an "X" on the ridge top, and set my waypoint accordingly. Very useful in new areas you are not familiar with.

Rain and inclimate weather, I prefer to still hunt, moving through the woods like smoke, utilizing ridge and solid rocks for sure quiet footing and broad vantage points, wading smaller creek beds masking my sound (Snow crust) and keeping the lower portion of my body below the creek bank.
    Still hunting swamps , game land roads far away from the access point, railways and dense evergreens have been productive when the weather changes for the worse.

Quiet clothing is a must, combined with a good pair of binos, paying attention to any horizontal lines in the woods and looking as far as you can see.

If there is a high degree of hunting pressure, such as Saturdays, I try to stay on stand and let hunters push one by..
    Last edited by tollster; March 4th, 2014 at 09:07 PM.
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

(York County)

Some good responses so far. I like both, just depends on my mood, conditions, where I'm hunting, how much time I have. Last year in WV I took out my new shotgun in a steady rain all day and walked until I ran out of daylight (230 acres). There isn't anything I like better than sneaking up on a deer that has no clue I'm there. I love getting into that rhythm of "movement without motion", and staying in that zone for long periods of time. Almost like a form of meditation at times. Foggy, wet days, or days with wind, or when it's warmer in early season, these are perfect for still hunting. My best ever hunting experience was sneaking up on a ten point bedded down and taking him with a bow shot through heavy brush at about 8 yards. Still can't believe it was possible and it's been at least 8 years ago.

Conversely, I also love getting in high and tight with my climber in a good spot and constantly scanning. I can stay all day if conditions are right, I have the patience of a rock. If one is doing it correctly, that should make you almost as tired as stalking. It takes a lot of energy to stay that alert for that long. Can't let anything breech your perimeter without your knowledge. There's nothing quite like seeing them from jump street and putting the sights on them and making it happen when the time is right. The thing I love about hunting is you never really know what is going to happen. If it ever gets boring, I'll quit. I've had some really whacky stuff happen while hunting, stalking and in the stand. Bet most of you have too. I say mix it up. Use your intuition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast