Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AK SBR

(Berks County)

Default AK SBR

I am thinking about making a M92 pistol into a SBR. This would be my first AK made into a SBR, so I am unsure of the legal way to go about this process. I would like to have the same company install the underfolder and engrave it at the same time. If I removed the entire bolt carrier/recoil spring assemblies from my possession, could the stock be installed and stored that way until the F1 is approved? It could still technically chamber a round, but obviously would not be functional.

I would like to have the stock installed and engraving completed before the F1 versus spending $200 and waiting a year only to have something go wrong with the stock install....but would like to do this legally even more.

Also, going from a pistol to a SBR, do I now need to worry about being 922 compliant?

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by MJH; March 3rd, 2014 at 08:51 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: AK SBR

The receiver is the firearm.. The barrel and overall length are the controlling issues. The mere possession of the stock is constructive possession if you do not have a cancelled tax stamp in hand - and yes, you can get into trouble for it. ...it is a felony punishable by 10 years in prison and a $250000 fine.

You absolutely, positively, CANNOT attach the stock to the receiver that has a barrel less than 16" without the tax stamp in hand. You can get into trouble by merely possessing the stock and suitable gun at the same time.

The only way you might be able to put that stock on the receiver prior is if you remove the barrel from the firearm, then remove the barrel from your possession. ...and that is debatable.

So, if you order a stock for the gun prior to getting the tax stamp you need to either take the barrel off and give it to a friend/family member to hold at THEIR house. Or have the stock delivered to a friend/family member. Or loan your "firearm" to a friend/family member who has a LTCF to hold at their house.

DO NOT BE IN POSSESSION OF THE STOCK AND COMPLETE HANDGUN AT THE SAME TIME WITHOUT HAVING THE TAX STAMP FIRST.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

get the stamp first, if you put a stock on it, it's an sbr no matter what you remove from it. you could put a barrel extension on it with the stock and remove the barrel extension once your paper work goes through. I got two and a krink kit. that's been sitting around.

(Berks County)

So I could send the pistol to have the receiver drilled for the stock, and engraved, before I submit the F1, right? The stock would remain out of my possession, and that way I am sure the drilling/milling/whatever needed for the stock is completed correctly before I send the F1.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpoppel41 View Post
    get the stamp first, if you put a stock on it, it's an sbr no matter what you remove from it. you could put a barrel extension on it with the stock and remove the barrel extension once your paper work goes through. I got two and a krink kit. that's been sitting around.

Nice! What is the bottom one in this picture?

I would not do any drilling until you have the stamp in hand, If you are worried about screwing it up get somebody to help with it. you could have it engraved before hand.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    Nice! What is the bottom one in this picture?
    Yugo krink, in 7.62x39, garry at overland industries built that for me years ago. when prices were not insane.

I broke the law once. I bought a 10" barrel for my tommygun before getting the stamp. My dealer said not to worry, just put it in your safe. So i did.
    I guess he thought it would be pretty obvious that i needed to be a gunsmith to do the job correctly, and i'm far from a smith. I dont condone doing it though.

Its one of the most asinine firearm laws i have ever broke.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpoppel41 View Post
    get the stamp first, if you put a stock on it, it's an sbr no matter what you remove from it. you could put a barrel extension on it with the stock and remove the barrel extension once your paper work goes through.
    Sounds like the best plan. I am going to get some type of cheap extension to send to the guy doing the stock. He's going to pin the extension, engrave my info, and install the stock.

My understanding is that because it's a pistol currently, it doesn't need to comply with the 922 crap. Making it into a SBR will require it to be compliant, correct?

Thanks to all for the help!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    Sounds like the best plan. I am going to get some type of cheap extension to send to the guy doing the stock. He's going to pin the extension, engrave my info, and install the stock.

My understanding is that because it's a pistol currently, it doesn't need to comply with the 922 crap. Making it into a SBR will require it to be compliant, correct?

Thanks to all for the help!
    Just remember, that extension must be blind-pinned(pinned and pins welded over). Not just merely pinned.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast