Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default PA OC History (prior to 5/9/2008)

I'm fairly new to the existance of PFOA, this web site and OC in PA. I first started reading about OC here just after the DC incident happened.

I've been wondering if there is much history to PA OC, before the people planned to meet at OCB on 5/9/08? Had anything notable (laws, incidents, whatever) happened or changed recently to prompt the 5/9 get together or did this situation sort of evolve and if so over what period of time?

Ranger

(Franklin County)

Default Re: PA OC History (prior to 5/9/2008)

I've been open carrying for about a year now. I've chronicled my own personal experiences in this thread. We've also been having social functions of varying sizes all around the state. OC is not required to attend these events, but is also not discouraged, since it's completely legal. Overall, open carry in PA is a non-event, though when something similar to the DC incident happens, you will see the community band together and address the issue at hand in whatever means is appropriate.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Monroe County)

Just page through the concealed and open carry forum. You will find many personal accounts of experiences while OCing. The OCB dinner was one of many get togethers the members of this forum hold throughout the year. There was no agenda involved. When one is suggested, a few places are generally put up for consideration and the most appealing is where it is held. These events are called OC lunches, or dinners, but in reality, they are just a way for people on this board to meet and eat with their family and friends. There is generally no itinerary involving firearms at all. They are much less cause orientated then say.. a meeting of the sheriffs association, or a Knights of Columbus dinner. You kind of just meet up at the restaurant, mill around chit chatting for a while, go in and find a place to sit, converse with the people around you, pay, hang out outside and chit chat some more, then leave.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Jefferson County)

OC has been pretty much not illegal in PA since the William Penn days. ...with a I think a short ban in the late 1800's when the PA Supreme Court ruled it could never be banned due to being a right, but concealed carry could be regulated.

Without a law making it illegal, its by default legal.. so there are NO open carry laws.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    OC has been pretty much not illegal in PA since the William Penn days. ...with a I think a short ban in the late 1800's when the PA Supreme Court ruled it could never be banned due to being a right, but concealed carry could be regulated.

Without a law making it illegal, its by default legal.. so there are NO open carry laws.
    Is this case from the 1800's on carrying guns available online? If open carry is a right recognized by the Pa Supreme Court, what is the constitutionality of Section 6108 of the Crimes Code, which is titled Carrying firearms on public streets or public property in Philadelphia?