Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Open Carry Flaw?

I am all about gun rights, including open carry before any of you get the wrong idea, I just have a question that no one seems to want to talk about when they talk about open carry. By the way I open carried my first time last week but it was at night while getting gas(or should I say liquid gold) so it was non eventful(good).

But anyway, this is my question and if I am correct, it really is a flaw by a realists perspective, or at least mine. Say a felon/career criminal is open carrying with a pistol he bought illegally...see were i'm going? You guys(and the law maybe) say that an officer has no right to ask the person's name since he has not committed a crime. Also you guys(and again, maybe the law) say that officer cannot run the weapons serial number since no crime was committed. So basically a criminal can walk around open carrying without fear of police finding out he is a wanted criminal and that his weapon that he is open carrying was purchased illegally by that train of thought. I just never heard anyone bring this up before and it has some underlying questions/conclusions. What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by jkroner659; June 1st, 2008 at 06:51 PM.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Open Carry Flaw?

Cop has a right to ask a name and he then verbally identifies himself.

True there may be a ballsy felon that's got the grapes to OC and give the cops a hard time.

But from my experience if you're not allowed to carry you'd probably just cc illegally and advoid the hassles of getting into conversations with LEO's

And just because they're not supposed to run your numbers dosn't mean they won't. Or you won't end up handcuffed in the back of a cop car anyway.

(Montgomery County)

Ok, but the criminal could give the cop a fake name with no picture and he is off the hook.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I think the computers they have in most cop cars can bring up the image off a drivers license. And people have been giving cops fake names since the dawn of time and is hasn't gone over too well since they invented the radio.

I hear what you're saying....believe me I do.

But I've known some of those criminals we always talk about. And those boys carry "deep cover"

P-11keepalowprofileSHOOTER

(Franklin County)

Whether he's actually legally permitted to carry or not, for me, the issue is when he actually uses it to commit a crime. In theory, I don't have a big issues with a prohibited person carrying around a firearm if he's not committing another crime with it.

The whole concept of liberty hinges on the fact that you don't limit or infringe on the rights of free men in the name of safety or 'public interest'.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Mifflin County)

I honestly don't see where this is any different than said criminal walking down the street wearing stolen sneakers, listening to a stolen Ipod, while talking on a stolen cell phone. Unless we're willing to be stopped and checked for identity papers at any time for any reason, or no reason at all, it's just something we have to accept. I think most of us would rather be left alone, than to have to stop and show papers at every street corner.......

(Philadelphia County)

A career felon could have a pocket full of crack, should police be allowed to search everyone with pockets because it's possible we could have something illegal? Anyone carrying a gun could be a felon carrying illegally wether oc or cc.

(Monroe County)

There is no flaw, as you suggest. The fact of the matter is that in order for you to have rights, then EVERYONE has to have the same basic rights. A police officer has to have a reasonable articulable suspicion that a crime is being, or is about to be, committed before he can stop, detain, demand, frisk, or arrest you. You may well be an ax murderer who just raped and cut up ten young girls, but unless the LEO has a REASON to believe you have commited a crime, AND can articulate that reason, he may not legally stop you. That is the basic premise that this country was founded on, and way too many people forget it. You are supposed to need proof, in this country, before your rights can be circumvented. In China, they can take you and laugh while they do it. Same for a great many places in this world. We are supposed to be the shining example on a hill. The place the bright light of freedom and individual liberty, shines on every dark corner that evil and tyranny may have no place to hide. Sometimes that freedom has a price, sometimes smart criminals get away with it. But as the great Thomas Jefferson said, I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Say a career criminal police officer is openly carrying off the liberty he just usurped from you...see were I'm going?

(Berks County)

Criminals are going to have and carry guns, law against guns only hurt those willing follow them. You give no deffinition of what you consider a criminal to be. The flaw in society and with the current judicial system is that they would prefer to allow someone to walk around without any rights dangergous or not so long as they don't end life. In some instances it is almost as if they would prefer the general populace be entrapped within the bounds of some small crime or felony without the rights of every citizen. That would ensure only like minded people would be allowed to vote.
    But lets not get ahead of ourselves...

If a man is not to be trusted with a firearm than he should not be trusted to continue life at all. Guns are one of the least used ways to kill people. Cars, poison, rope, knives, ect all much easier ways with less restrictions and so advocating that guns are easier is a flawed idea.

If a man who commits a minor felony serves his time and pays his debt there is no reason he should not be allowed or trusted with a firearm and a vote.

+1 Greg and I will only add that safety is a tyrants tool, no one can be against safety.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast