Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Open Carry Flaw?

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    The whole concept of liberty hinges on the fact that you don't limit or infringe on the rights of free men in the name of safety or 'public interest'.
    I think Benjamin Frankin said it best, "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "

And that's the reason I believe the entire Patriot Act is BS
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Montgomery County)

I agree with you all, I just wanted to bring up a point and make sure we all are ok with the possibility of a criminal openly carrying a illegally purchased firearm. At the very least, it could give you pause to see what the average citizen might think when they see people open carrying, and in the mind of some officers.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by jkroner659 View Post
    I agree with you all, I just wanted to bring up a point and make sure we all are ok with the possibility of a criminal openly carrying a illegally purchased firearm. At the very least, it could give you pause to see what the average citizen might think when they see people open carrying, and in the mind of some officers.
    If they are that unsettled by the concept of liberty, perhaps they should live somewhere where there isn't any.....that way they can be 'comfortable'.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Susquehanna County)

Most good officers know the felons in the neighborhoods on site. So most felons wouldn't be OCing

(Jefferson County)

I am all about gun rights, including open carry before any of you get the wrong idea, I just have a question that no one seems to want to talk about when they talk about open carry. By the way I open carried my first time last week but it was at night while getting gas(or should I say liquid gold) so it was non eventful(good).

But anyway, this is my question and if I am correct, it really is a flaw by a realists perspective, or at least mine. Say a felon/career criminal is open carrying with a pistol he bought illegally...see were i'm going? You guys(and the law maybe) say that an officer has no right to ask the person's name since he has not committed a crime. Also you guys(and again, maybe the law) say that officer cannot run the weapons serial number since no crime was committed. So basically a criminal can walk around open carrying without fear of police finding out he is a wanted criminal and that his weapon that he is open carrying was purchased illegally by that train of thought. I just never heard anyone bring this up before and it has some underlying questions/conclusions. What are your thoughts?
    The loss of a little safety is a cheap price to pay for liberty.

I'd rather criminals have guns than have a police state.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I'd rather criminals have guns than have a police state.
    Especially since the crooks will have guns anyway. (CC)

DCPD officer asked me about this on Friday. He asked about crooks being able to carry (OC or CC) and they can't demand their license... I said: "What's the difference? They will CC regardless".

(Allegheny County)

I hear what you are getting at...
    I am not comfortable with violent criminals carrying a illegally purchased firearm. Im not comfortable with the idea of a rapist breaking into my house and raping my girlfriend. Im not comfortable with the idea of getting hit by a car on my way to work and being stuck with a big hospital bill. Im not comfortable with any of the three presidential front runners.....
    I could go on forever with things that make me uncomfortable. I don't think anyone on here would say they are for criminals carrying illegally purchased full auto assault weapons (had to throw that in there just cause...) but what we may not be comfortable with as individuals should not dictate what rights of others we are willing to give away for our own piece of mind. Instead we should focus on being able to protect ourselves, our loved ones and whatever we hold true to our harts. I just strive to try and keep myself right. And if anyone does come in the window my GF is armed and will do what she has to do
    Good thread BTW. Some great quotes being sited here....
    -A
    No matter who you vote for the government always gets in.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

wow. that autonomous guy makes pretty good sense.for a new mexican

(Monroe County)

Criminals will CC anyway. Heck, I know people who CC that don't have a carrying permit, for whatever reasons. I guess that makes them criminals now.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Whether he's actually legally permitted to carry or not, for me, the issue is when he actually uses it to commit a crime. In theory, I don't have a big issues with a prohibited person carrying around a firearm if he's not committing another crime with it.

The whole concept of liberty hinges on the fact that you don't limit or infringe on the rights of free men in the name of safety or 'public interest'.
    You must be joking. You seriously have no problem with a felon walking around with a gun?

Regarding your second point, we limit the exercise of rights on a daily basis for the public good, and for good reason. The best example is the limitation imposed on the 1st Amendment.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast