Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: sks accuracy???

(Berks County)

Default sks accuracy???

im wondering who else owns or owned an sks how far you could hit a paper target with the iron sights......i get really good groups at 100 yards and thinkin bout moving up to 200 yards.....im just wondering about what the max is to actually see a man sized target and hit it....im thinkin 300 isnt out of the question but it will take some practice.....id like some input and ill let yous know how i do at 200 the next time i go out....thanks guys

(Erie County)

Default Re: sks accuracy???

SKS accuracy is going to be in between and AK and AR. While the parts and design are very simliar to an AK the tolerences are much tighter. 200 yards shouldn't be a problem...at 300 though its gonna get a hell of alot harder to see. Have you ever considered a scope mount and something like 3-9x40 scope? They make replacement covers that have mounts on them.

You should have no problem hitting a man sized target at 200. Like previously stated, your site picture at 300 is going to be aweful. Your front blade will more than likely cover the entire target, but I am sure with some practice you will surely "hit the paper".
    Jules

Most SKS's are more accurate than most AK's. That being said, I would say it's not the rifle that should be question, but rather the caliber. The 7.62x39 is similar in ballistics to a 30-30. Most hunters that use the 30-30 wouldn't be taking a 300 yard shot. While it can reach those ranges, I would say that the most effective range for the 7.62x39 would be under 300 yards.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post
    SKS accuracy is going to be in between and AK and AR. While the parts and design are very simliar to an AK the tolerences are much tighter. 200 yards shouldn't be a problem...at 300 though its gonna get a hell of alot harder to see. Have you ever considered a scope mount and something like 3-9x40 scope? They make replacement covers that have mounts on them.
    I wouldn't say the design or parts of the AK and SKS are similar. The AK has a rotating bolt, the SKS bolt drops down into the receiver to lock up. The trigger mechanisms are completely different also.

The upper receiver covers can take away from accuracy as many of them don't fit very well. If the scope can wiggle, it won't hold a good group.

300yds you're pushing it with the iron sights, but it's possible. Not sure if the accuracy would be there at 300 or not. Since the 7.62x39 was designed as an "intermediate" cartridge from the beginning, it really was never meant to reach out that far.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Berks County)

thanks guys....yea i plan on going out this weekend for the 200.....i think thats about all ill go for now and get that as good of groups as im getting at 100 yards....thanks for the input guys...
    billyj

I have a 4x32 AOE Tasco scope on my SKS, I use 154 grain FMJ I reload myself.
    @675yrds I'm shooting a 2" groups, Depends on the wind at the time. My scope has Mil Dots makes shooting alot easier. With the mil-dots makes it much easier for to adjust your MOA.

(Berks County)

well im not to into the scope deal....if they wanted a scope on the gun they would have made a good place to mount it....im purely iron sights...but thanks for the info

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by darkside View Post

@675yrds I'm shooting a 2" groups, Depends on the wind at the time. My scope has Mil Dots makes shooting alot easier. With the mil-dots makes it much easier for to adjust your MOA.
    Did I read that right?

2 MOA @ 675 yards?

With an SKS?

And a tasco 4x scope?

I'd pay to see that.

(Luzerne County)

I think you must have made a typo somewhere there Darkside.

Quote Originally Posted by darkside View Post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast