Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default revolver specs question

Perhaps revolver folks can offer some advice.
    I have a new S&W M649-5 that I bought a few weeks ago NIB from a LGS. The box indicates it was manufactured in January.

I'm noticing that there is a gap between the frame and the yoke when the revolver is closed. Also, there is a slight lateral play to the cylinder when pushed outward (and the gap widens very slightly). This is not rotational play in the cylinder, and not fore and aft, but very very slight outward play when I press outward on the cylinder when it's closed.
    Is this a QC problem, and is it effecting the function?

The gun seems to shoot fine, although snub noses are difficult for me to get very tight groups with.

Does anyone else's Smith & Wesson's look/behave this way as well? It this normal?

I'm trying to determine if this is nothing to worry about, or if there is a problem that needs to be addressed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: revolver specs question

What you are seeing is fine. I am an avid revolver shooter and my j frame is just like this. Do you know how to check for end shake? Check youtube for a video on it. You should also learn how to check the timing. As long as there is little to no endshake and the timing is good, it is a shooter. Too often people get weird about their guns, educate yourself and know what is important.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Berks County)

I would call that excessive but you can push the cylinder on all of them. Probibly it's within tollerence but just not nice looking. It's working so try to over look it, they all can't be to blue print.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    What you are seeing is fine. I am an avid revolver shooter and my j frame is just like this. Do you know how to check for end shake? Check youtube for a video on it. You should also learn how to check the timing. As long as there is little to no endshake and the timing is good, it is a shooter. Too often people get weird about their guns, educate yourself and know what is important.
    Thanks for the reply. That makes me feel better. The concern I had was that the yoke wasn't fitted properly to the frame, and maybe the slight movement of the cylinder (side to side) could mean that the lock up is 'weak' or sloppy.

I know end shake and timing; they are the first things I look at for the revolver's function. End shake (trigger back, fore and aft movement of the cylinder), timing (pull trigger slowly and make sure cylinder locks/clicks into place before the hammer travels all the way back and then falls), I check each chamber for these things. I also check for flame cutting on the top strap, how deep the firing pin travels, make sure the hammer doesn't 'push off' when cocked, etc.

I love revolvers. they really are precision machines, and they look great.