Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Threaded View

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default un-scientific ammo testing. 9mm Hydra-shocks vs. Glasser silver safety slugs.

Today I decided to put my current carry ammo (9mm federal low recoil hydrashocks) against (9mm glasser silver safety slugs) using phone books as a target.

I know phone books aren't the best thing to test bullets but it's what I had on hand.

The shots were taken with a Kel-Tec P-11 at a distance of exactly, precisely, about arms length. Both rounds cleared the first phone book leaving similar wounds and entered the second. The Hydra-shock created damage to page 313, while the safety slug damaged to page 533. Once into the second phone book the glasser slug's wound became larger.

Well,

Well, neither round worked as advertised (because bad guys aren't made of paper) but both created a large wound cavity, with the glasser slug both penetrating deeper, and creating a larger wound.

The rim of the hydra shocks hollow point folded inward in 2 places and opened up in a 3rd place leaving the majority of the bullet behind the hollow point slightly deformed.

The Glasser slug was left "all jacked up" for lack of a better term the base of the round is still perfectly round, but the pellets failed to exit. Instead the plastic ball was deformed and pushed into the jacket the jacket is peeled back in several places.

Conclusions:

I wouldn't want to be shot with either one.

Despite being lighter (80gr vs the Hydra shocks 135 gr.) the safety slug messed some shit up and left an impressive wound. The hydra shock remained more intact, but surprisingly this didn't help it penetrate better. I know this isn't scientific by any means, but bottom line is....If we're considering damage alone, the safety slug holds it's own.

against phone book weilding maniacs
    Last edited by P-11 shooter; June 1st, 2008 at 06:16 PM.