Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Centre County)

Default New guy checkin in

Hi all. New to the forum and just wanted to say hello. I live and work in the state college area. Just got into guns about a year ago. I have a Glock 19 gen 4 and am looking to pick up an AR15 style rifle in the near future.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: New guy checkin in

Welcome 87hatchy. There is a lot of info that travels through here. There is always something to discuss, sometimes when some of the members get wound up on something it can get so funny you'll swear you're gonna blow a gasket laughing.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by tarzan View Post
    Welcome 87hatchy. There is a lot of info that travels through here. There is always something to discuss, sometimes when some of the members get wound up on something it can get so funny you'll swear you're gonna blow a gasket laughing.
    Very true... the forum is great for information AND entertainment.

Welcome 87hatchy.

(Centre County)

thanks guys. Where are some good places to shoot in the area? I've heard of scotia but never shot there. Is it any good?

How about shops in the area? From what i've read on this forum and other places, it seems like the only decent one burned down (J&E), and the rest are pretty questionable. Any recommendations?

FEMA Region III - State College, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)

Welcome!

As public ranges go, Scotia is really quite nice. It is the (by far) the largest PA Game Commission shooting range. It has a 200-yard rifle range, a 50-yard pistol range, with 25 firing points each. It also has a big shotgun range for clays, and a shotgun pit for patterning. Plus there are 2 small auxiliary ranges for off-hour shooting.

There are also several private ranges around here (one near the air port, one in Spring Mills, in Liberty Township, and the new indoor pistol range just recently opened in Altoona, etc), but I am not familiar with any of them. Most people in this part of the state, I would guess, shoot on private lands or camps, but gaining access to which depends on whom you know.

Smile Re: New guy checkin in

Welcome from N E PA and Florida ! This is a very good site to be involved in,share and absorb the wealth of knowledge within this site,sounds like you started off great with the Glock 19 !

(Berks County)

Welcome new one!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

I've never actually been asked if I've attended a course or had to show proof of passing a course in order to get a license, and I've picked up licenses at Wallyworld, Dick's, Gander Mtn, etc. Is this a sort of "good faith" thing?

The last hunter safety course I took was in Boy Scouts many moons ago. Maybe it's time for an update. Hmm.

FEMA Region III - State College, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeKnifer View Post
    I've never actually been asked if I've attended a course or had to show proof of passing a course in order to get a license, and I've picked up licenses at Wallyworld, Dick's, Gander Mtn, etc. Is this a sort of "good faith" thing?

The last hunter safety course I took was in Boy Scouts many moons ago. Maybe it's time for an update. Hmm.
    It is pretty much working on a honor system. When you renew the license the question doesn't even come up. The only time the topic is relevant is when you purchase your first one, where you check a box attesting to your completion of the course. However, as a member on this forum pointed out a few years back, anyone who has a hunting/trapping license without having taken the course better hopes he never comes into "official contact" with wardens (such as being cited for rule violation or being involved in an accident) because during an investigation this little lacking probably would come up.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
    It is pretty much working on a honor system. When you renew the license the question doesn't even come up. The only time the topic is relevant is when you purchase your first one, where you check a box attesting to your completion of the course. However, as a member on this forum pointed out a few years back, anyone who has a hunting/trapping license without having taken the course better hopes he never comes into "official contact" with wardens (such as being cited for rule violation or being involved in an accident) because during an investigation this little lacking probably would come up.
    Funnily enough, I went out to Scotia this weekend (Saturday) for some "nice" weather (i.e. above freezing) plinking. Pulled up to the office to sign in and there were about 30 wardens hanging out. I made the wife double check to make sure we had the license on hand before we went down to the range in case they decided to do a round of the benches...

Turns out they were doing drills. Pretty impressive to hear 12+ people unloading full magazines at the same time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast