Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default New guy checkin in

Hi all. New to the forum and just wanted to say hello. I live and work in the state college area. Just got into guns about a year ago. I have a Glock 19 gen 4 and am looking to pick up an AR15 style rifle in the near future.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: New guy checkin in

Welcome 87hatchy. There is a lot of info that travels through here. There is always something to discuss, sometimes when some of the members get wound up on something it can get so funny you'll swear you're gonna blow a gasket laughing.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by tarzan View Post
    Welcome 87hatchy. There is a lot of info that travels through here. There is always something to discuss, sometimes when some of the members get wound up on something it can get so funny you'll swear you're gonna blow a gasket laughing.
    Very true... the forum is great for information AND entertainment.

Welcome 87hatchy.

(Centre County)

thanks guys. Where are some good places to shoot in the area? I've heard of scotia but never shot there. Is it any good?

How about shops in the area? From what i've read on this forum and other places, it seems like the only decent one burned down (J&E), and the rest are pretty questionable. Any recommendations?

FEMA Region III - State College, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)

Welcome!

As public ranges go, Scotia is really quite nice. It is the (by far) the largest PA Game Commission shooting range. It has a 200-yard rifle range, a 50-yard pistol range, with 25 firing points each. It also has a big shotgun range for clays, and a shotgun pit for patterning. Plus there are 2 small auxiliary ranges for off-hour shooting.

There are also several private ranges around here (one near the air port, one in Spring Mills, in Liberty Township, and the new indoor pistol range just recently opened in Altoona, etc), but I am not familiar with any of them. Most people in this part of the state, I would guess, shoot on private lands or camps, but gaining access to which depends on whom you know.

Smile Re: New guy checkin in

Welcome from N E PA and Florida ! This is a very good site to be involved in,share and absorb the wealth of knowledge within this site,sounds like you started off great with the Glock 19 !

(Huntingdon County)

Welcome to the site! Nice to see another person from the area.

(Centre County)

yeah unfortunately I don't own a ton of land nor do I know anyone that does. I'll have to go try out scotia whenever it gets nice out.

FEMA Region III - State College, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by 87hatchy View Post
    yeah unfortunately I don't own a ton of land nor do I know anyone that does. I'll have to go try out scotia whenever it gets nice out.
    If you don't have one already, remember that since 2011 the PGC game land ranges are no longer free to use. You would need either a hunting/trapping license or a range use permit. A hunting license is cheaper, and more useful for the obvious reason. But you would need to have taken a hunter's safety course to purchase one (available at Walmart and most gun or sporting goods stores). To buy a range permit, go here
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=937842&mode=2

Welcome to the forum. There aren't too many shops around here. Grice in Clearfield and Belding & Mull in Philipsburg are worth a drive if you have transportation. If not, you might be able to link up with somebody for a ride.

Ron Lutz is a local FFL out of Lemont, a PAFOA member, and a great guy. If you order something online you can get it shipped to him for a pretty cheap transfer price. I've been getting most of my stuff online lately.

Other places are hit or miss. Stay away from the Hunter's Warehouse in Bellefonte. That dude is insane and has terrible prices.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast