Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: New guy checkin in

Quote Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
    It is pretty much working on a honor system. When you renew the license the question doesn't even come up. The only time the topic is relevant is when you purchase your first one, where you check a box attesting to your completion of the course. However, as a member on this forum pointed out a few years back, anyone who has a hunting/trapping license without having taken the course better hopes he never comes into "official contact" with wardens (such as being cited for rule violation or being involved in an accident) because during an investigation this little lacking probably would come up.
    Funnily enough, I went out to Scotia this weekend (Saturday) for some "nice" weather (i.e. above freezing) plinking. Pulled up to the office to sign in and there were about 30 wardens hanging out. I made the wife double check to make sure we had the license on hand before we went down to the range in case they decided to do a round of the benches...

Turns out they were doing drills. Pretty impressive to hear 12+ people unloading full magazines at the same time.

(Centre County)

so the wardens were not limited to 3 rounds?

(Mifflin County)

1 of the women who moved through my life over the years, her dad was a deputy game warden. Their qualifying to be able to carry a weapon was quite comprehensive of the situations they may have to deal with. Sadly the fact that the warden murdered near Gettysburg was able to return fire and hit his assailant-unfortunately not fatally- shows they need such training.

So no, the wardens are not limited to 3 rounds. Now that most of them carry the Glock in .357 sig I would hazard the guess they all have 15 round magazines.

FEMA Region III - State College, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by doc_Zox View Post
    so the wardens were not limited to 3 rounds?
    Quote Originally Posted by mark61 View Post
    1 of the women who moved through my life over the years, her dad was a deputy game warden. Their qualifying to be able to carry a weapon was quite comprehensive of the situations they may have to deal with. Sadly the fact that the warden murdered near Gettysburg was able to return fire and hit his assailant-unfortunately not fatally- shows they need such training.

So no, the wardens are not limited to 3 rounds. Now that most of them carry the Glock in .357 sig I would hazard the guess they all have 15 round magazines.
    I am pretty sure that what doc_Zox said was intended to be a joke about the range rules for us the general public......

Although he should have said "limited to 6 rounds", since they carry sidearms. But the original anecdote wasn't specific about it.

They were using ARs, shotguns, and handguns. Not that it matters.

FEMA Region III - State College, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)

ARs, eh, for the Game Wardens... in another PAFOA sub-forum this fact would be decried as another sign of warrior LEOs and the police state mentality that allows them. But I will leave those type of comments in that other sub-forum.

Anyhow, which range did they use? One of the public ones or the LEO range (?, so I've heard -- it's the range between the rifle and pistol ranges with all those plank thingies and a control tower, never have seen anyone using it though)?

Given that practically everyone they would come into contact with for law enforcement purposes is armed with a high-powered hunting rifle, can you blame the PAGC for using rifles? I can't. I wouldn't want to take on a poacher with a .30-06 or .308 while I have a .357 handgun.

They were using the range in the middle. I can only assume that its only purpose is for LEO training, though it does make me wonder if groups could reserve it for competitive shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by 87hatchy View Post
    Hi all. New to the forum and just wanted to say hello. I live and work in the state college area. Just got into guns about a year ago. I have a Glock 19 gen 4 and am looking to pick up an AR15 style rifle in the near future.
    Oh hai, I posted in your Central PA thread on SVTP.. Small world...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123