Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Re: New guy checkin in

Quote Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
    If you don't have one already, remember that since 2011 the PGC game land ranges are no longer free to use. You would need either a hunting/trapping license or a range use permit. A hunting license is cheaper, and more useful for the obvious reason. But you would need to have taken a hunter's safety course to purchase one (available at Walmart and most gun or sporting goods stores). To buy a range permit, go here
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=937842&mode=2
    Thanks. I thought I remember reading you need a permit for scotia. So how does it work? If I have a permit I can just go and shoot freely whenever I want (or during their hours)?? Or is it run like a shop where I - in addition to having my permit - need to go up to someone and pay to use the range, get a receipt and all that?

Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeKnifer View Post
    Welcome to the forum. There aren't too many shops around here. Grice in Clearfield and Belding & Mull in Philipsburg are worth a drive if you have transportation. If not, you might be able to link up with somebody for a ride.

Ron Lutz is a local FFL out of Lemont, a PAFOA member, and a great guy. If you order something online you can get it shipped to him for a pretty cheap transfer price. I've been getting most of my stuff online lately.

Other places are hit or miss. Stay away from the Hunter's Warehouse in Bellefonte. That dude is insane and has terrible prices.
    Thats good to know there is a local FFL. That's probably what I would like to do when I get my AR.

lol @ the Hunter's Warehouse comment. Not the first time I've heard that!
    Last edited by 87hatchy; March 3rd, 2014 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 87hatchy View Post
    Thanks. I thought I remember reading you need a permit for scotia. So how does it work? If I have a permit I can just go and shoot freely whenever I want (or during their hours)?? Or is it run like a shop where I - in addition to having my permit - need to go up to someone and pay to use the range, get a receipt and all that?

Thats good to know there is a local FFL. That's probably what I would like to do when I get my AR.

lol @ the Hunter's Warehouse comment. Not the first time I've heard that!
    Yes, as long as you have the permit... you can go whenever you want...Just need to sign in, if they open. Typically, during the open hours, there is a warden working there. After open hours, you can use aux ranges. (Usually, they don't check your permit. But you never know.)

Just don't go after dusk. You're not allowed to shoot at public gamelands ranges after dusk. Can be a pretty hefty fine if you're caught by a GCO.

That was always a problem at the Dillsburg range off of Rt 74.

FEMA Region III - State College, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by 87hatchy View Post
    The fee for the range use permit is the only fee you pay. There is no per session charge. The permit costs $30 a year, is valid from July 1 to June 30 (same as a hunting license). It is not pro-rated, so if you buy one now it would still cost you $30, but would only be good until June 30 of this year. While valid, the permit or hunting license allows you and one adult guest an unlimited number of visits to the game land ranges. Children 15yo or under can come with free when accompanied by an adult permit holder. Be sure to sign in first at the range office if it is open

(Centre County)

Thank you for the info everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
    The fee for the range use permit is the only fee you pay. There is no per session charge. The permit costs $30 a year, is valid from July 1 to June 30 (same as a hunting license). It is not pro-rated, so if you buy one now it would still cost you $30, but would only be good until June 30 of this year. While valid, the permit or hunting license allows you and one adult guest an unlimited number of visits to the game land ranges. Children 15yo or under can come with free when accompanied by an adult permit holder. Be sure to sign in first at the range office if it is open
    Hunting license will be a better deal (~ $20). Usually, some clubs nearby will offer Hunter education course from ~ now to ~ Nov (before big game season) if you need to attend the safety course before you get the hunting license. PS. the course is complete free.

(Centre County)

Eh id rather pay $10 more and not have go to a course haha

(Berks County)

Welcome new one!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

I've never actually been asked if I've attended a course or had to show proof of passing a course in order to get a license, and I've picked up licenses at Wallyworld, Dick's, Gander Mtn, etc. Is this a sort of "good faith" thing?

The last hunter safety course I took was in Boy Scouts many moons ago. Maybe it's time for an update. Hmm.

FEMA Region III - State College, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeKnifer View Post
    I've never actually been asked if I've attended a course or had to show proof of passing a course in order to get a license, and I've picked up licenses at Wallyworld, Dick's, Gander Mtn, etc. Is this a sort of "good faith" thing?

The last hunter safety course I took was in Boy Scouts many moons ago. Maybe it's time for an update. Hmm.
    It is pretty much working on a honor system. When you renew the license the question doesn't even come up. The only time the topic is relevant is when you purchase your first one, where you check a box attesting to your completion of the course. However, as a member on this forum pointed out a few years back, anyone who has a hunting/trapping license without having taken the course better hopes he never comes into "official contact" with wardens (such as being cited for rule violation or being involved in an accident) because during an investigation this little lacking probably would come up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast